1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Valve Index Views

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by gSeat, Sep 20, 2019.

1. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Had to come post to this great community.....albeit very late, even though my own simming is not a priority. This place and the people ROCKs. Had to come post..

1) Got the official release index a long time back, tried to utilize it in app - immediately understood what was wrong.
    Thumbsticks are faulty, pre-release this had been an ongoing issue. Searched the net, and as anyone who's experienced this, the controllers are bad / lemons / faulty. Valve was keen on this and decided to move forward. They ignored my input and others pre-release as well as others on NDA. Upon release, they banked like any smart business on marketing and that consumers would keep the lemons, and it's working out. Good for valve...ideally they'll make a proper product next cycle.

No excuse, period. $300 MSRP controllers that have broken thumbsticks = triumphant fail.

2) Screens have significant number of bad batches and are not up to par. Across multiple units, nothing impressive. Again, pre-release, even up until the last moment, Valve was keen. They were aware of legibility vs. pimax 5k / other and windows VR headsets. Still, resolution fail upon release.

WHY would this make sense to buy this headset:
    a)
    You've only tried the vive and never the Oculus rift.
    Oculus touch controllers = index
    Index failed to move forward with dev input on thumb, and as such is a gimmick, essentially the touch controllers with extra finger input, the touch has very similar function and you've never tried them, you would not know. Oculus rift touch controllers can do the amazing things the index controllers can do: a) flip people off b) peace sign c) rock sign d) shaka sign e) hang loose sign...etc.

Oculus touch controllers are far more balanced and weightless when "not holding" something that index....index are off balanced and grasp the hands

AND you're willing to support the company releasing lemon product.

b)
    You've never tried the pimax 5k or other pimax headset

Could go on and on, but this headset itself makes windows vr headsets shine.

This single item VALVE followed devs on was the headset strap
    Headset strap itself = basic ergonomic input, nothing innovative, they actually just did what we've been waiting on.

Agree or disagree, I'm not responding to this thread, just blow away by lack of respect over the past few years with valve/developers. Anyway, keeping innovating xsimulator community and helping one another you're all awesome, and I always appreciate the feedback and educated arguments that go on here.
    #wishing I could teleport all the vr headsets to members to help them make an educated decision not based on marketing.

Cheers!

As I posted in another thread forever ago...
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/odyssey-black-friday-sale-299.12675/#post-167130
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Skerper

Skerper New Member

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Pimax 5k+ user, but obviously it can't be recommended if you're comparing hand controllers, as it doesn't have any.

For clarity, yes, its visuals - especially field of view - are breathtaking, but so is its price tag, and the amount of DIY needed to get it functioning as most would expect it should.

I don't think there are any headsets on the market right now that don't have considerable tradeoffs, and it's really a question of your priorities and bankroll.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DotComRich

DotComRich Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    I started with the CV1, then tried the Odyssey +, then landed on the Index.

The index is far and away superior to the cv1 and odyssey + for me.

Audio, clarity, tracking, fov, comfort, features, refresh rate, ease of use all better.

I bought it primarily for racing so the thumb stick issue while present on one of my controllers is not an issue, but I will just attempt one of the DIY fixes for it instead of sending it back.

No headset comes without its array of problems, we're still early in the game here, find ways to enjoy this marvelous tech instead of finding things to bitch about.
  4. Anthony Morris

Anthony Morris Member Gold Contributor

Multi trade
    Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    3rd attempt at this post
    1. theirs no such word as irregardless, regardless is the negative so doesn't need the prefix ir.
    2. vive pro honestly does have it all, pin point tracking, oled for fantastic blacks and the resolution is just staggering, ergonomic hand controllers short of being tracked gloves.
    I super sample ie. Onward at 200% Assetto Corsa at 200% (with motion and cancelation and rumble) and the notion of wasting clock time on a few degrees of very peripheral vision is a no no.
    3. I completely agree 'This place and the people ROCKs.'
  5. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Still, if we're going to be picky; Capitals at the start of a sentence and there's not theirs.

Now, someone pick me up on my poor use of a semicolon! :p

Irrespective is the word that we are looking for I think.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,026Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I have a valve index, but have nothing but praise for it. Have been using it for almost a year now. No problems with quality whatsoever. With steam VR, it just works out of the box as it should be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I really don’t like to see these kinds of rants. We all have our prejudices and biases. While gSeat may have points for his experience, it’s not everyone's experience. Certainly not mine.

I’ve had the DK2, Vive, Vive Pro, and now the Index. All have been great headsets. After Oculus got bought and absorbed by Facebook, I swore them off regardless of hardware. Facebook being able to study behavior with the kind of detail VR can get them was a big red flag for me. Oculus and Facebook got controversial in so many ways that I refuse to support. It’s my cancel culture.

My Vives and Index track perfectly and that has been a big factor for me. Tracking loss is jarring and immediately pulls you out of VR. Oculus and the Windows MR headsets all had significant issues early on. The Index FoV is wonderful and industry leading aside from Pimax. I also like the higher resolution and framerates though I can’t go high speed in all VR applications, but that’s not the headset’s fault.

No headset is perfect - yet.