1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

PT-Actuators 3DOF system?

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by LukeBrown, Jul 1, 2019.

1. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    The way I've setup my heave axis it's almost like a vibration (10% axis assignment and a very narrow range of +/- 0.5 in tuning centre). When I go over grass or bumps it feels like a vibration that is similar to a buttkicker feeling. You're right though, on a stiff rig I guess that feeling would transfer through to the seat in either configuration.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Skerper

Skerper New Member

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I don't own this yet, but I'm envisioning giving quite a lot of range to heave and prioritizing it over some of the other effects, because I already have other forms of motion cueing for things like suspension bumps, sustained lateral g, etc. , and because I'm a big fan of tracks with major elevation changes.

Will be interesting to see how our different priorities and philosophies are handled by the hardware!
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Hi Guy's, :cheers
    Cool thread we got going here.
    Always fun to chat ideas!

I wrote above that we have 'Not' seen it to be a problem with any simtools version.
    But with 3 legged setups, it's not possible at all in any situation is all.

As long as the sim is properly balanced over the actuators, I don't think it really matters much.

True.
    But because they are not at the very front, you can get move movement from the sim, with less movement from the actuators.

This leads me to why you can get more movement range from a 3 legged sim, than a 4 legged sim.
    (Or you can use 1/3 smaller actuator in the back, for the same ride as a 4 legged sim)
    Why? because the back actuator does not have to account for roll at all.
    Therefor, you can use the last unused 1/3 range on the back actuator for extra pitch.

Or, because the front actuators are 1/2 way between the center of the sim and the front of the sim.
    And because we have one actuator all the way in the back of the sim.
    Means that for pitch, the back actuator needs to move 2x what the front actuators do.

This is interesting as we can do something like this..
    25% of All actuators for Heave.
    38% of the Front actuators for Roll
    37% of the Front actuators for Pitch
    And 74% of the back actuator for Pitch

In general, a 3 legged sim the actuators are usually bit closer together, meaning the resulting sim is a bit faster.
    (but the same spacing can also be done on a 4 legged sim)

There is allot of give and take with any sim setup to be honest.
    And you really can't go wrong with these actuators.
    Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    With statements like that being made by Simtools developer will you confirm or deny that you are now involved in some way in the the distribution in the USA of those very actuators? And what is the nature of this relationship? If true I would think that would be clearly posted on this website somewhere already for full disclosure but maybe I overlooked it.

Partnership with GadgetGizmo USA

GadgetGizmo

We are excited to be partnering with GadgetGizmo, the creators of SimTools!

GadgetGizmo teams will represents PT-Actuator team to run the business at local USA,

and also cover the business in north American which not covered by PT-Actuator exclusive distributors/retailers.

We will keep you posted on upcoming simulator kits…

Today's Work Tomorrow's World!
  5. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Why?
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Sadly I'm not surprised you must ask such a question. Maybe they do things differently in Greece but in this country and many others businesses usually try to practice something known as ethics.

"Equitable, fair, and just dealing with people that, although pragmatically flexible according to the situation and times, conforms to self-imposed high standards of public conduct. Once practically interchangeable with 'moral,' this term has acquired quasi-legal connotations and has moved closer to 'legitimate' following the recent (second half of the 20th century) schism between private morality and public morality."

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/ethical.html"

In simple terms, yobuddy aka Dustin Arrell, has been well know on this website for being the author of Simtools motion software for many years now and not for being a supplier of any motion hardware. His authorship elevates his status so most people are naturally going to put more weight on what he states than most others. And while I'm not saying Dustin isn't being truthful when he says you can't go wrong with them, if true that he is making money from their US sales, then he would have a natural bias towards recommending them over others that are as good or even better due to profit motivation. Therefore to conform with well known ethical practices, one would publicly disclose on this website that they are also now selling these motion actuators so that people currently unaware of this can consider possible bias in their decision making. I hope that helps with your understanding.
  7. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I repeat the question. Why?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Transparently.

In any case its obvious if you go to both sites they are related to one other if someone does that. I was just surprised and disappointed to learn about the relationship in a round about way and not disclosure here but again maybe I just missed the announcement. :cheers
  9. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Four words: None Of Your Business... :cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  10. djkc

djkc Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    @yobuddy - "And the 3 actuator MDBox controller also support vibration input (which I have been told works quite well with GameVibe)."

Any ideas on how to set this up?
  11. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    o_O I didn't ask you anything I only replied to your questions. Its clear to me now anyway just not to everyone.
  12. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Back to topic...

Not sure which member is as its from my YouTube subscriptions, but he used a smaller PT-ACTUATOR servo to add belt tensioner so cleverly!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oliver Wallner

Oliver Wallner New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 133Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    > Thats not right... the Belt Tensioner is not a PT Actuator... It‘ s a Frex Actuator
  14. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  15. Skerper

Skerper New Member

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I notice they have a 3DOF+RTL kit on that page, and 3DOF is their marketing term for '3 leg 3dof', where 4DOF is their term for '4 leg 3dof'.

Usually when I see rtl+3dof setups, it's a 4-leg 3dof kit on top of another platform which has the rtl components.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be viable to have 1-front-2-back 3-leg-3dof, with just the back two legs sitting on a a small RTL platform? ie the two legs are standing on a length of profile with rollers on the bottom, and that that rolls on a small platform with the rtl actuator, and the whole rig just pivots on the front 3dof actuator?

Or would that harm the front actuator?
  16. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Actually is a very good idea. The actuators are rigid and having the front actuator foot to rest on a small rotating "lazy Susan" would be fine...

Its so much easier when you have a single rotating point on front to add the TL on the back
  17. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what I'd be after for my 3 actuator setup. I did mention to PT Actuator I would be keen on a TL frame that's designed for 3 instead of 4 actuators, and they said they could do it, but I've not seen any plans for drawings from them for it yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Hocky

Hocky Member

Balance:
    119Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    If you get any news about this keep us informed.
    I have been trying it myself and tried to get some info from different sources with no luck :(
  19. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I really don't see how it can. Everything I've read about Gamevibe shows it as outputting the signal from a soundcard as a soundwave output, the same way that both Simhub and Simvibe do it. The soundwave is then amplified and sent to the transducers which are basically just low frequency speakers. For it to work with MDbox and the actuators, it would need to output as a data signal, not a soundwave, via the same USB port that the the MDBox is connected to. I'm not aware of it being able to do that, but would be great if it could somehow!
  20. Hocky

Hocky Member

Balance:
    119Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    New MDBOXes has audio input (mono) that converts sound waves to vibrations. Very unclear how the get it tuned. No problem playing music on the actuators, harder to get lets say a RPM vibration thru gamevibe. Maybe I am doing something wrong.