1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

PT-Actuators 3DOF system?

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by LukeBrown, Jul 1, 2019.

1. r3df0x

r3df0x n00by Racer Gold Contributor

IT technician
    Balance:
    231Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6
    Wow, your RIG look awesome! Nice and clean. It's a good evolution.

Looking forward to seeing all this in motion ...
  2. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,910Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Hi Guy's
    I think both the 4 and 3 axis PT setups are just fantastic!
    But I really like 3 legged version myself, as they make more sense to me, as you have 3 motors for a 3DOF sim that way.
    (No sense paying for the 4th motor if it does not add anything?)
    And PT Actuators are strong as can be anyway.

The other thing I really like is there is no way the sim could ever "high leg" (where one leg is a bit off the ground).
    Not that we have seen it to be a problem with 4 legged setups, but its just not possible with the 3 legged version at all.
    And the 3 actuator MDBox controller also support vibration input (which I have been told works quite well with GameVibe).

In the end thou, what I really like, are the looks you can get from a 3 legged setup.
    Just take a look at this work in progress by @nclabs, wow is all I can say. :eek:
    sm1black.png

sm2black.png

sm1.png

sm2.png

Just wow! :thumbs
    Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 9
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Totally agree, I would although like to see the actuator attachment points placed a bit higher (should be easy to do), so that the roll center is more realistic.
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,910Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    They are hip level in the pic :thumbs
    Although the way it works, I don't think it changes much..
  5. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Quick video just showing everything all setup and working....

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Your right - it is a solid box, but that means the roll center ends up very near the floor. That's unfortunate, luckily though in practice it does not roll much.
  7. Skerper

Skerper New Member

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Is that with the extra cross member at the front to attach the front actuator?
  8. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yes that's right, I added in an extra length of 40x160 at the front. Makes the frame into a completed rectangle shape.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. stashy

stashy Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 238Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6
    hi guys just got the pt actuators , any guide for installing ?
  10. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Its pretty simple, PT-ACTUATOR can provide a wiring diagram for it. If you don't have the manual for the AMC controller email me.
  11. r3df0x

r3df0x n00by Racer Gold Contributor

IT technician
    Balance:
    231Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6
    Or, see the pictures of LukeBrown in the previous pages ...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,000Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    hello how mutch cost this actuator?thanks
  13. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Best to just message PT actuator and ask them for a quote. It depends on your country for shipping and also there are some options in terms of which actuators and controllers you want.
  14. Absomfs

Absomfs New Member

Balance:
    116Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi everyone . Yes that’s what I did . Contacted them through messenger via Facebook . Very helpful . I ordered the 4DOf set using the AMC - ASD15A. Just waiting for them to arrive :) . I’m sure I will have lots of questions
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Hocky

Hocky Member

Balance:
    119Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    I agree that the 3 legged prevents the "high leg" but why does it happen? Now on 2.4 its more or less not doing that anymore?!? Problem with the 3 legged is that the one actuator in the back must take more load then the front and the rig is heavier in the back.

I would also want to know more about how to get the MDBOX vibration feature and GameVibe. I have tried it and could not get it to make any good vibrations. Who has done it successfully?

Thanks
  16. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Put the single actuator at the front and also bring the rear actuators forwards a little bit so that they are closer to the centre of gravity.

Another benefit I've realised of having only 3 actuators is that the front single actuator only has to handle 3 DOF (Heave / Pitch / Surge) and does not need to any assignment for Roll or sway. That means you can actually assign a higher percentage of the actuator stroke to those 3 DOF. If you are running a 4 actuator setup, then the two actuators at the front would need to cover all DOF so would be assigned something like 20% each for Heave/Pitch/Surge/Roll/Sway. However, with 3 actuators then for the one at the front you still assign 20% for Heave but then can increase it to 40% for pitch and 40% surge. So you actually get more more range of motion in Pitch/Surge with a 3 actuator setup vs. 4 actuators.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Why is a 4 leg system naturally unstable compared to a three leg?

- A three legged platform is naturally stable like a three legged stool. Even if you change the actuators or 'stools' length it will still remain stable and not allow any wobbling - or in this case lifting of one leg.

- what happens when you add a fourth actuator? Well, now there are multiple ways that the platform
    'stool' can 'solve' the problem of which legs to use for support as the actuator lengths change.
    Wobbling occurs when the Platform (stool) can't 'decide' which solution to use especially as the length of each leg changes.

In effect, during the time that the Rig is actually wobbling, it's
    really a two-legged stool, with one degree of freedom - which is the
    direction of the wobble.

As for a rear biased load, you could always have two actuators at the back and one in the front, although these types of actuators are quite powerful.
  18. Skerper

Skerper New Member

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I asked the PT Actuators' support guy directly whether there's any problem weight-wise with running one actuator on the back and two on the front.

He said that there's no issue, and that you should be spacing your actuators so that they're evenly around the center of gravity anyway - meaning that if the actuators are properly configured, the rear actuator is not taking more weight than the others.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. LukeBrown

LukeBrown New Member

Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yes that's right. If you have 2 at the front then they actually should actually be roughly in line with the steering column uprights and not at the very front corners.

I think it makes more sense to just have 2 at the back and 1 at the front though. With the 2 at the back they will be either side of the seat, you will feel more in the way of bumps etc.
  20. Skerper

Skerper New Member

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Intuitively yes, but if the actual motions are the same, surely it shouldn't cause a difference unless you have vibration effects on those actuators...

I guess the big limiting factor here is that the further back you mount the front actuators, the higher you'll have to mount the body to ensure the rig doesn't hit the ground at full forward pitch, which in turn means the roll center will be higher.