1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seat mover JPS themed rig

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by katikomer, Aug 25, 2019.

1. katikomer

katikomer New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi all
    Have spent the last 4 years heavily into Sin racing having moved on from consoles. Fell in love with assetto scorsa and VR. Tactile feedback was good but not enough. I was
    inspired by all these amazing DIY projects it was only natural to convert my rig to motion. This is by no means an exhaustive run down of the project as I didn’t take many photos along the way but did some initially.
    Basically it was very much trial and error and a bit of help from members in the Sim community. All the parts such as the 2x power supplies, JrKs and motors were purchased overseas and shipped to NZ so it needed up costing a bit.
    The tricky bit was positioning the universal joint and placing the motors. I didn’t want to protrude too much out over the podium boxing. I also didn’t take into account strengthening the box when I built it to support motors.

I needed to build a different seat frame support in order to attach the rod arms.
    These photos showing the project well established. More to come soon

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. katikomer

katikomer New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So the fun part was wiring it all up. This was def trial and error. I am an Marine Engineer by trade and usually good with stuff like this but soldering is not my strong suit when it came to making up the JRK boards.

I ended up needing to go past the entire width of the plinth, which was the very sensitive feedback pot and wiring. I ended up knocking it a few times so had to build a protective plate on the entry side.

I stupidly put some light gauge plate to hold down the motors. There was too much flex from the MdF. HD to go under neath the rig to put in some extra plate. I also wasn’t happy with the backlash in the motor gearboxes. The steel rod that was supplied was not an interference fit and also had some slop. When I sat in the seat and rocked back and forth slowly I could see the seat move and the motor and levers stayed still.

Attached Files:

3. katikomer

katikomer New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Some more photos of the development. I put in springs to limit the amount of movement whilst in the rig. These were attached from the underside of the seat base to the plinth.
    I also put in locking bars to stop the seat from moving when not using motion.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. katikomer

katikomer New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Lots of motor feedback errors during testing. I think my dodgy wiring has caught up with me. Kept getting motor drive errors as well and one motor kept turning off. For the life of me what does the PID mean when setting it up.....luckily Avenga posted up a video explains what each one did and the effects of PID on the sims. I still haven’t got it perfect but it will do for now.
    I turned down some intensity within the JrK profiles which seemed to help a lot. Motors are rarely getting motor drive errors and turning off now.

Setting up Assetto Corsa in simtools was fun. I got roll, pitch, heave, sway and surge pretty good I think. It feels amazing in the open wheeler cars. I must say having simvibe running 4x LFE buttkickers, motion, VR and 5.1 surround sound certainly gives a pretty good immersive experience.

Some pics of the rig. I def want to get into trying my hand at a wind sim. Let’s see what I can make...

Attached Files:

5. katikomer

katikomer New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I got wind. Found symprojects does a fan controller. Got a couple of 7000rpm, 240cfm fans with ducting and divertor to strengthen the flow. Mounted it over my T500 base. What a an awesome idea and helps a lot with keeping the VR headset cool in the summer

Attached Files:

6. katikomer

katikomer New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Pretty much sums up my rig. Massive thanks to @Nick Moxley for the help setting up the JRKs and simtools. Being over eager I wanted maximum effect and had everything turned to 1000. He informed me of what I needed to do and go through each setting and be patient. This community has been extremely helpful.

Now that I see there is a new simtools version 2.4 released i must have a look at the new features.

Here are some final pics of the rig. Always tweaking and never finished. Enjoy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Nice Update bud. DIY is a lifestyle and can never be Truly "complete/Finished" Look forward to the next upgrade.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1