1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

OPEN VR CODER NEEDED !! PLEASE HELP !!

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by SilentChill, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Wagnard

Wagnard Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,621Coins
    Ratings:
    +618 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Try the version I posted for the oculus fix in the pinned vr thread. I won't be surprised if it help
  2. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I'll give it a go at some point I have qualifying tonight so I will use your last one dont want to mess around too much now :)

I wonder what it would be like if you disabled Pitch Roll and Yaw and just left Sway Surge and Heave enabled
  3. Wagnard

Balance:
    4,621Coins
    Ratings:
    +618 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The oculus *fix is a little like you said. The rotations compensation are disabled.
  4. Wagnard

Balance:
    4,621Coins
    Ratings:
    +618 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Let me know the result of the Oculus fix, I think it should'nt be that bad.
  5. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I will do matey, totally forgot about it hopefully try after as I'm away until Sunday. I'll let ya know
  6. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Wagnard okay I've tried it and I think its slightly better than the last one you posted its a bit jittery ion the menus but once i set off its good no screen shake however the car still shakes quite a bit.

I thinking do we even need to cancel out the Yaw Pitch and Roll ? Surely when your head rotates/moves with the car/ship/plane it will be the same as it is on screen its just the sway heave and surge that needs cancelling out because you are literally moving from side to side and up and down and forward and backward ?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Wagnard

Balance:
    4,621Coins
    Ratings:
    +618 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The oculus one is completely disabling the yaw/pitch/roll cancellation.

The other files that contained various versions, was all motion compensation activated with a dead zone on Sway, Surge and Heave.

I wonder if I should try the dead one + oculus fix together.
  8. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ahh it did feel really good to be honest I think if I make the LED ring on the controller more solid it would help a lot too.

I k now what to do but it will be next week now but I think it should be sorted I think
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I'll offer my input as well:

Definitely need to compensate for all 6DOF. (If the sim has good travel on all 6DOF)

No translational compensation and you will be moving around inside the car (or even moving outside it!). No rotational compensation and I feel my legs moving way up into the dashboard and way down into the road under the car on hard acceleration and braking respectively.

What you need to do is measure the movement of the motion sim (all 6DOF) as near as possible to the riders head, and subtract that motion from the motion of the HMD (and hand controllers if applicable).

This way the tracking is only the movement of the riders head relative to their cockpit rather that the movement relative to the real world.

If it's fast and accurate enough, driving it directly from the data on platform movement would work. Definitely worth a try. There could definitely be issues though with latency, or with the platform's real positions at any given point in time during motions being different from the target since generally we aren't feeding "actual" position data back to the computer from the sim.

The Kyosho Zeal gel seems to mostly if not entirely solve the vibration problem, not sure about sudden motion sim movements yet though. I will be beginning to test that in the next few days and will report back. Just FYI I'm using a Vive Tracker. Soon I could use a Vive wand instead if there is any advantage. If there is no difference in tracking between the two I think the lower mass of the Tracker will mean it shouldn't be as likely to bounce around on harsh movements.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. IntrudR

IntrudR New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    123Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi guys

I got motion compensation in General working with WMR (Samsung Odyssey). However, this works just for some minutes as the WMR Controller goes to stand by mode (LEDs off) after just a Little time and then I Need to move that Controller so that LEDs go back on and the compensation works again… do you have any idea what I could do?

Thanks in Advance.
  11. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    But.... if you are using it for motion compensation isn't it being moved around by the simulator? I don't have any WMR equipment, but I'd think the motion of the simulator would keep the controller from going to sleep.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. J-1775

J-1775 Aviator

Balance:
    1,507Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have motion compensation thru OVRIE working fine on a 6-DoF platform with Vive Pro, lighthouses 1.0 and a Vive tracker v 2.0. Last week I got my Reverb and I love its image so much more than the Vive's that I've tried everything to make compensation work for it. But no success so far! However, I get motion compensation, but not in the desired way.

Now I think there is an inherent problem we have with the upcoming inside-out-tracking HMDs. In my Vive setup I attach the tracker just BEHIND my headreast. It can be seen there by the lighthouses (or at least one of them). It works fine without any offsets.
    For design reasons I can't put a WMR controller BEHIND the headrest. It MUST be somewhere in front of the headset.

On most platforms you sit above the centre or ─ to have the load balanced ─ a little bit behind the centre. But hardly ever in front of the centre. Agreed?
    Now when I attach the Reverb's controller in front of me, e.g. to my middle console, it is on the other side of the platform's centre.
    What happens when I pitch forward by braking hard? My head moves UP and the controller moves... DOWN. Or when I yaw to the left? My head moves to the right side and forward, whereas the tracker/controller moves toward the left side and back.
    However it's okay with the Roll axis and the three transational axis' surge, sway and heave.
    Maybe I am completely wrong about this (and please correct me then), but I think a motion compensation for WMR headsets with inside-out-tracking must be able to reverse the pitch and the yaw axis?

Here my question to you experienced guys: can OVRIE do that? I vaguely remember I had once seen an option to reverse axis (maybe in the "input remapping"), but I can't find it anymore. Any help?
    IntrudR, how did you manage to make it work with the Odyssey?

EDIT: Thinking it over I now assume that the rotational values of Pitch and Yaw are the same on both sides of the platform's centre. Thus it's rather Heave and Sway that must receive correction values. Seems like there is definitively some Mathematics behind...
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  13. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I don't think that would work. It might kinda work, but I think reversing an axis would cause more error than correction so it would be a net loss. I 'll have to think on it a little more to be sure. Edit: after re-reading this I think that reversing pitch and/or yaw would do no good at all, but on a 2DOF or 3DOF sim inverting heave might be all you need. On a sim with heave movement though, that would be a no-go.

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been wondering about how well the WMR HMD tracking adapts to motion compensation and it didn't occur to me that putting the controller in front of you means it's on the opposite side of the CoR where behind you it's just a little farther to the same side.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  14. J-1775

J-1775 Aviator

Balance:
    1,507Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    You're completely right about the axis, I edited my post. It's probably not a straight forward mathematical reversal, but not too complicated, either.
    However, without knowing too much about OVRIE, I assume it calculates with all six axis and corrects them internally, thus a WMR-adjusted "OVRIE" should work on any platform, no matter how many axis are supported?
  15. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    764Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hmm, a strange question: What happens with motion compensation using a InsideOut Tracking System, when you are sitting in a complete covered MotionCockpit? So the WMR can only see your Headmovement, but no movement of the Sim and his surrounding?
  16. Psionic001

Psionic001 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,002Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Thats not a strange question and some of us are thinking about that.

Three alternatives so far in order or preference:
    1) Output the compensation data from one of the plugins like HexPod or FlyPT Mover
    2) Measure the data ourselves physically and convert to a data stream. I am working on this with two IMUs and a piece of string.
    3) Enclose the whole platform in a bubble or box so the tracker sees only things that move with the platform.

17. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    There is one big problem with this. To the best of my knowledge all of the VR systems are using the optical system only for heave, surge, and sway. The pitch, roll, and yaw DOFs of the head tracking are being done with IMU's (gyro) which means that those axes will not be affected by the enclosure and there will be no motion compensation at all for them.

For some sims this will be ok, but for those with big pitch, roll, and yaw movements this is no good. For me all six DOF must be properly motion compensated.
  18. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    You are correct, proper full 6DOF motion compensation will work best on any/all motion sims and OVRIE does cover all 6DOF. What I meant was sortof the opposite, the less motion your platform generates the more likely you are to be able to get by with a compensation system that is only partially functional.
  19. cubexxx

cubexxx Member

Balance:
    532Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    I like the idea of 3) One could use that virtual controller as the reference tracker in the OpenVRInputEmulator for motion cancellation. Can you do that? I think it is worth a try, maybe it has been done already?
  20. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    It's definitely something worth experimenting with but likely to not be as easy as folks are likely to think. If we got it working properly though it could be an ideal solution.

Interestingly for my new rig I will really only need heave motion compensation which should be MUCH easier to do this way, but it also would basically only benefit me and I can't do it myself so easy or not it is unlikely. =)

What I am going to try is having the tracked controller be on it's own separate heave apparatus separate from the actual simulator but being moved by bowden wires or something along those lines. This should make it easy to 100% isolate it from vibration from my bass shakers. =) I do still need OVRIE to work and if there is a conflict and OVRIE and the SensoryX VRFree plugins won't play nice together I'll have a problem.

Of course I can get heave cancellation by enclosing the cockpit and using a HMD with onboard tracking like RiftS or WMR. Problem there is there aren't any VR setups I want to use that have that. I've got Index and the only thing I'd switch over to is a Pimax 5K or 8K and they too use lighthouse.