1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simulated Wind using 220V fan (and ArduinoUno?)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Pit, Mar 27, 2016.

1. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hello Pit, have you been able to run the 220v fan with arduino? I use drone motors but they are very noisy and do little air to be small, I wanted to use a large 220v fan, if you could help me I would appreciate it, The 220v fans are fast enough to start to use as a wind simulator?
  2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    The fan which I am using is running on 24V "only". But I promise you that is insanely fast, the motor blows me away at full speed...
  3. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    But is it one of 220v to 24v?
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    With 12VDC, you will likely get a jolt if you put your tongue across the source, but normally you will get nothing. As the voltage rises to around 50VDC you will certainly feel it (ring tone). This artical may help.. https://www.electronicproducts.com/..._human_body_AC_or_DC_current_and_voltage.aspx Basically your quite safe with 12vDC :). On topic, I actually have 4 x 120mm 240VAC fans in my new sim - They work great being quiet and powerful. I am a Qualified Electrician - although sometimes misread posts :rolleyes:. I decided just to control them by four switches in the sims . I find this works OK and importantly keeps me cool.

Sim Fans.jpg
    Sims Fan Switches.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    hmm, your comment is slightly misleading or I did not understand correctly - Just to clear it out when we talk about voltage, there is more to discuss on ampere, actual motor current is what we need and not only high voltage. A 240V motor can spin with 3000 rps, just as a 12V can do as well, the latter is drawing high current of course in comparison with the 220V motor. BTW I share my petty experience only, IMHO there is no need for a 220/240V fan.
  6. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    no, I replaced the original 220V motor with a 24v one.
  7. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Mate, I misread your comment, I was talking about fan power and you explained something completely different. Sorry.
  8. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I used the 240v fans only after testing lots of different fans including 12VDC. The AC fans pushed the most air and were noticeably quieter in operation - Maybe its just me, but I hate noisy fans - decision made and I know what I am doing with AC power. I was never going to go to the trouble of controlling them via other means except switches - they are mainly for cooling and when I want them on, I want them to stay on as it can get darn hot in my sim room in Australia :) . But they do help with immersion even as they are. What I'm tying to say is any fan will help with immersion, even it is not controlled.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. NjMotion

NjMotion Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    @evolaco
    At 12v you can use the fan of the cabin of any car, usually they have the shape of a conch, I tried one and had a maximum consumption of more than 20 amps, it is amazing the air that is at maximum.
    [​IMG]
    A 12v puedes usar el ventilador del habitaculo de cualquier coche, normalmente tienen forma de caracola, yo probé uno y tenía un consumo al maximo de mas de 20 amperios, es alucinante el aire que echa al maximo.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Hi ,
    I bought this module M012 to control my fan 120 v ac , but i think i need this module M150 to control 1-5 volt DC with Arduino uno to control M012 .
    What did you do finaly ?
    thanks

Module M150 et M012 control 120 AC.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  11. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Finally I used a 24v motor because of the simplest way to go.
  12. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I did toy with the idea of using a small Arduino/RC servo setup ( I have lots of them from all the experimenting that I have done in the past) to control a standard 240V rheostat mechanically - but the switches have worked fine. The flowing air also does a good job of eliminating any fogging in my VR headset.
  13. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    ok thanks !
    I use this way because at my work I had a couple of those fans 120v for free $ but with the control it realy more expensive !!!
    For the moment, I have a single switch on my dash ( rig) where i can put on /off to eliminate some fogging in my VR headset !
  14. susocalfail39

susocalfail39 Member

Balance:
    50Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    thanks, I use a 12v fan with little force and I am interested in the 220v one, so in the end you connect the module directly to the arduino, instead of using the potentiometer? it is so, it does not have a scheme or photo, I like the invention.
  15. susocalfail39

susocalfail39 Member

Balance:
    50Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    or advises to use a more powerful 12v, like the one in the car discussed in previous posts, he says, he got the fans for free but with
    the module becomes more expensive, what do you think, what is your advice? excuse me use the translator.