1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Arduino Leonardo SIM Wheel

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Sieben, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Guess BTS needs a better cooling, to how it is done on default. The radiator seems not joined properly, at all, to that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
  3. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Tecnico pc hardware/software MadeFix
    Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @Sieben
    you could put the bts in an atx case and use its 12cm fan to keep it cool.
    in addition to spreading thermoconductive paste between heat sink and pcb (not too much)
    this and photo of the 2 dof drive, but for the steering wheel ff I did the same thing and it has been working for more than a year without any failure or thermal block
    IMG_20180806_175004.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    another example of a first attempt, then moving on to bts 43a
    cooling below and above
    IMG_20180516_074050.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    MarcoMade very cool. Thanks for sharing. Have got some prepared fans too to be attached too.

Yes BTS needs some additional work with thermo paste and some fans too. That’s true.

I decided to make own couse curious. ) And one can make with realy a good powerfull mosfets. With "whatever amperage". Like 180 Amps, or even 300. Guess may be will need even no cooling for them).

Also there is, as some misconcept or what, conserning the use of two bts it parrallel. Was confused also with all that stall curents etc. and realy diff info on it. One BTS should coupe with the currents it is made for to handle. So no much need to add another one. Seems that must all depends on the power supply Amperage only.

Checked the STM32 board I've got, and it is 3.3 volts compared to Arduino's, that is used, with ~5V controlling signal. Some mosfet gate drivers should be made additionally. If not go to the Logic level Mosfets to work with STM32. Seems to be not the very best option.

Also fired up IRacing, and it gives good FFB. One side for now. But it works allright absolutely. And no heat, at least in a short run. Don't know how will cope with full version, when both pins attached. Hope will be no conflicts, and fried mosfets due to that. But it is also, all is a sorted out issues.)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  6. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    As p.s. on why double/triple BTS are used, guess only due to the fact that it on continuous load can handle 10-12amps only. 43A only on a very short terms. But also then someone use it in 12/24V and even 20-50amps power supply.... Maybe reducing the FFB amount. )
  7. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    personally, on my ffb system with arduino leonardo, I use 2 of 43b bts in perfect parallel (short and equal cables in order to have an almost perfect parallel and take advantage of all the current supply).
    feed the ffb system with a 66A 12VDC server power supply.
    I can assure you that after an hour of driving on a run set the cables become hot 10 sq. mm x 2 m length.
    perhaps with H motomonster bridge and very poor in current.
    bts 43A are very solid. I also use them for the 3 engines of the dynamic station with extreme success :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    MarcoMade, that's great but may depends. Yes they can run good no doubt, but there are other reports on there performance and qualities etc.

I guess get good ones BTS too, with all that nice packaging, as if to be the reason to judge on there origin, as described also, on ebay etc o_O. I run'em tough, (allright 12.5A not that tough, but still as it appeared to be :D, without good cooling quite a faire determination) But they give away with this)

It's cool to make the driver DIY, 'cause U can fix it, peace of cake, if smth. And U'are set with it. Change a single MOSFET, u know, and so on. With faulty BTS it's a more tough thing to work on this matter. Also as a nota bene )
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  9. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    MarcoMade what sim do you run and with what soft? Because, with Arduino Leo and EMC for example, it's bug less only with Iracing. AC brings some issues there. Don't try much others but curious of you experience. :)
  10. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    what you mean emc bug on assetto corsa..??
  11. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Need to be switched on and off. Constantly. Iracing are without it.

Take another arduino and now it is much better with h-bridge diy driver. But, wheather need to take another mosfet or make mosfet gate driver for one side of ffb. A bit weaker with pin 9.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  12. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    my station and a 3 dof self-built, two dof for dynamic movement with power steering motors opel corsa , and a wiper to pull the belts
    hello, I use mainly ride trim with oculus rift, and dirt rallye on the projector. I have read that someone has had problems with drop frame with iracing. with trim I am fine! I have a big 4-brush 13kg motor that produces good torque, :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    MarcoMade thanks, but what is ride trim? ) Dirt rally, ok, will add to the list of compatibility with arduleo)
    Nice!
  14. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    New mounting stuff.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm sorry, the translation, I'm Italian and help me with translate to communicate. I wanted to write Assetto corsa with oculus rift. I wish you a good continuation with your beautiful project, have fun
    Marco
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
  17. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Made some adjustments with min force for the wheel for the step test 2. To eliminate the zero responce zone.
    For the game have got some other set ups on it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And new link to encoder.
    [​IMG]
  18. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Made some corrections on the "gear to the shaft connection".
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Noname wheel from oklick. 240mm 0.4 kg weight. )

Step test.
    300/600

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some current limiting tests with bulb 60/55w H4 12v.
    And linearity test with it. May be someone can find it useful) The FFB is less with it, but no motor overheat etc.

[​IMG]
  20. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    A good solution against extra current.
    unfortunately, tungsten filament lamps have resistance to cold wire close to 0, the moment they heat up the resistance increases greatly.
    so you find yourself a steering wheel that does not respond to transients effectively.
    some dyers drill holes and mount a rear fan to extract the generated hot air.
    heat is a price to pay.
    I use a 13KG DD engine weighing 0.75 hp (old 30 year old industrial scrubber) and generate nearly 16nm of torque at 12v. I drilled and used 12cm fan to extract the air, after 1 hour of driving I arrive even at 45 -50 degrees, which I think is a trifle for traction motors.

how many degrees does your engine get?
    • Informative Informative x 1