1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

VR Motion Cancellation - Time to test!

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by noorbeast, May 6, 2017.

1. JMB3D

JMB3D Member

Balance:
    687Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Try your motion rigs with out base shakers/Transducers and should find the view in Vr is more than useable,
    once you get the system smooth and playable without interruptions from the shakers you will need to decide on what's more important.
    I have mentioned before I don't use base shakers and have compensated for that by turning up the force on my sim settings for the actuators.
  2. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    Do you need VR controllers to set this up? I bought a Valve Index without controllers and think about adding a Vive 2.0 tracker to the rig for motion compensation, but i have nothing to control menus in VR.
  3. JMB3D

JMB3D Member

Balance:
    687Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Yes as far is know you will need at least one controller to active the menus, I don't think you can use your keyboard as a work around.
    I always use one controller, this can be the first gen, and one tracker 2.0
  4. kparkin

kparkin Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    I have a 2nd gen tracker with the blue button.
    I have had issues with steamvr having to reacquire a file, so have reinstalled steamvr and openvr. The trouble is now I can't get the motion cancellation to stick, it instantlly reverts to default.
    Any ideas.
  5. JMB3D

JMB3D Member

Balance:
    687Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    You select the tracker from the drop down list, select motion compensation from the next list and click apply, that should be it.
    if not post a screen shot and I wills see if I can help.
    theirs also a guide you can download here...
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...vr-motion-cancellation-setup-guide-pdf.53774/
  6. kparkin

kparkin Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Thanks JMB3D but I have had no problem in the past. The process it quite straight forward.
    I have just noticed that instead of "OpenVR Input" showing in the dashboard, it has "VR Input" instaed, which shows the same set of processes but will not switch to motion cancellation when selected and applied, it reverts back to Default.
  7. JMB3D

JMB3D Member

Balance:
    687Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    I will try mine this evening and see if I'm getting the same, although I don't think I am, I will let you know.
  8. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Purely optical tracking seems like the best option to me as well, but I have no idea how much work (coding) it would take to implement with current available resources.

Interesting that you are having no problems. I did run my tracker at times with the cord (though dongle was still plugged in) and still had the same problem with the tracker deciding it was twenty feet or more off to the right side.... Definitely seemed to happen almost exclusively while the shaker system was on.
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes, a controller or Vive Tracker is required.

Ideally I'd say see if you can pick up a pair of Vive Wands on ebay now that a lot of people have upgraded to Knuckles. That will give you one controller for menus, and one for attaching to the rig for compensation.

Note that many people have had issues with the Vive Trackers, so the Vive Wand (or Knuckles) is a safer bet. We haven't nailed down exactly what the difference is between people having problems with trackers and those who are using them without issue so it's better to get the wands.
  10. kparkin

kparkin Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    This is really weird, when in the vr emulation app I can select any of the Device Modes and they always revert to Default on apply.
    Also there are no button press sounds in the app. i obviously have some sort of severe conflict going on. This the same for steamvr beta as well.
    This only started happening a few days ago. I wonder if some update has broken it. I am running the latest windows 10 1903 i think it is.
  11. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    What really got my attention is when you said that it displays as "VR Input" instead of "OpenVR Input". Best thing to do is always uninstall SteamVR, delete the SteamVR folder in your steamapps, reinstall SteamVR, and then install the version of the motion compensation from the 6th post here: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator/pull/130 This procedure has always worked for me 100% of the time when I got things fouled up.
  12. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    764Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Any exp. with the valve index and OpenVR-InputEmulator Software? This would be a good solutions since pimax still doasn´t work.
  13. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Index working with motion compensation.

So far it's been done with a Tracker (though some people including me have problems with the trackers), with a Vive Wand, and with a Knuckles controller. The latter two seem reliable, the Tracker YMMV for me they are terrible for this job. Mine are V1, so just the default two 1.0 lighthouses, my motion sim is AC powered with VFD's, and my shakers (which are what reliably make the tracker go nuts) are Aura ST's (2 in series (x2 channels so four total) to meet the amp load requirement) powered by an oldish Sony component system amp.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    764Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Trip! Strange issue with this tracker....the tracker should work the same way like the knuckles or default controllers...it´s the same hardware inside! Ah and offtopic: is the index much better then the default htc vive hmd in terms of FOV and Text readability e.g. in DCS?
  15. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Apparently it's not quite the same hardware inside them. Almost, but not quite.

The Index is a nice upgrade from the OG Vive. As long as you don't set your expectations too high you will be very pleased with the upgrade. FOV isn't huge, but if you still use the thick original facial interface on your OG Vive it will be very noticeable. Coming from third party ultra thin facial interface on OG Vive myself I can still notice it a bit. Text legibility fantastic by comparison, but once you use it for a few hours and forget how bad your old Vive was you'll be wanting more still!

I'm very happy with the upgrade to Index, but I'm always careful not to get over-hyped.

Oh, and the reflections are different from the god rays you are used to in Vive, but not any better. They are different, but no better.
  16. kparkin

kparkin Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    That's what got me as well.
    After several attempts at reinstalling steamvr, I reinstalled steam (after moving my games temporarily), then I installed steamvr and openvr.
    It now works and I no longer have the drifting image.
    It's not rock solid, as there is a little lag when moving my head, but when I'm driving it's not really too bad, just a little movement when braking and accelerating, which I can deal with.
    It's early days, so fingers crossed.
  17. kparkin

kparkin Member

Balance:
    254Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Just another note to say how much more detail the Index has over the Rift. Sharper and more colour depth as well.
    It's heavier than the Rift, but pretty well balanced. Overall it's definitely an upgrade.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    764Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thx Trip for these help.
  19. 4apaev

4apaev Member

Media
    Balance:
    486Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    For people having problems with trackers - try using single lighthouse in A mode, should not be hard to position it in a way that ot will cover just seated space, about 3 meters from it in front.

I have added second lighthouse recently and moved first to recommended position (diagonally in room corners), tracking on both helmet and controllers became noticeable less accurate. Not in way that knock me out of cockpit, but shaking got worse in MC mode even without buttkicker activated.

I happen to have third lighthouse, which I set up the old way in front and its back to normal. Have to switch between them, since SteamVR dont support 3 lighthouses simultaneously, which is kinda shame.
  20. D.C. Moore

D.C. Moore New Member

Retired
    Balance:
    162Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 4DOF
    is there any noticeable difference in motion comp when using an original vive wand (black) versus a vive pro (blue) one. I have an index and the knuckle controller works really well but I want to buy a single wand to mount permanently so I don't have to keep removing a controller every time I want to use it for regular VR experiences. The reason I ask is I can get an original vive wand for $111 reconditioned as opposed to a vive pro which I can only find new at $199.00