1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Capacitors to eliminate spiking. May have gotten the wrong ones?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Trigen, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi guys!

Been trying to tune and eliminate spiking in my system as im plagued with oscillations (probably spiking sending it out of whack) and i have been tuning endlessly. Its shielded and the shield is connected to ground. I got a tip on using capacitors (it was in spaninsh so i goggle translated) . 100mf ones but testing this on the ground it just changed the voltage so the center point was way off and if i added to both + and - the range became very very small. Im not 100% sure what voltage these needs to be and the lowest i could find was 10v 100mf and these could be the wrong ones.

I left it in for a few minutes and im assuming the charge up time on these are not very long.

Any tips here? Im afraid electro theory isnt my strong side.

These are the ones is got.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-100uF-10V-ELECTROLYTIC-CAPACITOR-100MF-Axial-Vishay-Philips-Audio-AUS-STOCK/171412676323?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
  3. Vitalius

Vitalius Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    I hope I understood you correctly! Hello, I also experimented with capacitors in the beginning but ultimately left them out and used only shielded wires. What attitude do you have in SMC Tool?
  4. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Not entirely sure what you mean with attitude but here are my settings. The signal does look very clean (no capacitors on here) so im still a bit puzzled. Any small dimples i got in the signal i still got with one capacitor on.

newest smc settings.jpg
  5. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I suppose its time to think of a redesign. The ardunio's sits a bit close to the PSU and motor controllers and its the only thing i havent eliminated 100%
  6. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Set PWMin to 0
    and if that does not work try with smaller values at the KP
  7. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ive been testing for weeks with 0 or 20 (any greater than 20 and it will have issues with stopping though) and it makes no difference im afraid so i decided to just keep it at 20. The dimples are there with only ardunio running
  8. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF