1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Writing a motion cueing software from scratch.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Dirty, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Thank you @Iromaniuk. It IS interesting indeed.

This is model predictive cueing. The grey shaded areas in the diagrams are the predictions and you can literally see what is meant by the term "receding horizon". Definitely more advanced than the classical filter based approach we are following here.

Thanks
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hey @Thanos or @pmvcda ,

Would you mind helping me out here a little? It's still unclear to me how exactly to convert into bytes to send data to the AMC1280. You gave examples for 0%, 15%, 50% and 85%, but I am unable to come up with the same values. *scratching head*

here's the code for a simple C# console application:
    Code:
    static void Main()

{

float utilisation = 0.150f;                                 //Actuator position between min(0) and max(1)

UInt16 value = (UInt16)(UInt16.MaxValue * utilisation);     //Map utilisation to a value between 0 and 65535

Byte[] Bytes = BitConverter.GetBytes(value);                

Array.Reverse(Bytes);                                       //To get MSB first

writeBytes(Bytes);                                          //Write bytes to thte console

Console.ReadKey();                                          //Just to keep the console window open

}

...but this is what I see in the console when I try to convert 15% into bytes:
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-27 um 21.25.09.png

How do you convert 15% into 064 000?

Here's what I do, step by step:
    100% = 65535
    15% = 9830
    Binary: 00100110 01100110
    Bytes: 038 102.

Can you tell me, where I am going wrong?
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF

The data string has the following format:

ID AXIS1 AXIS2 AXIS3 AXIS4 AXIS5 AXIS6 AXIS7 AXIS8 LF/CR

- The ID is byte values 0xFF + 0xFF
    - Each Axis is 16bit wide.
    - LF+CR is required in the end (0x0A + 0x0D)

Here is an example in C ... kind of...

Code:
    // variable Declarations
    int outputValue0 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue1 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue2 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue3 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue4 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue5 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue6 = 0;        // value output 16-bit
    int outputValue7 = 0;        // value output 16-bit

byte ID[2];
    byte buf0[2];
    byte buf1[2];
    byte buf2[2];
    byte buf3[2];
    byte buf4[2];
    byte buf5[2];
    byte buf6[2];
    byte buf7[2];
    byte endstring[2];

//Normal loop with some calculations and conversions

// change the  output values from 16-bit to individual bytes (MSB first):
      ID[0] = 255;
      ID[1] = 255;
      buf0[1] = outputValue0 & 255;
      buf0[0] = (outputValue0 >> 8) & 255;
      buf1[1] = outputValue1 & 255;
      buf1[0] = (outputValue1 >> 8) & 255;
      buf2[1] = outputValue2 & 255;
      buf2[0] = (outputValue2 >> 8) & 255;
      buf3[1] = outputValue3 & 255;
      buf3[0] = (outputValue3 >> 8) & 255;
      buf4[1] = outputValue4 & 255;
      buf4[0] = (outputValue4 >> 8) & 255;
      buf5[1] = outputValue5 & 255;
      buf5[0] = (outputValue5 >> 8) & 255;
      buf6[1] = outputValue6 & 255;
      buf6[0] = (outputValue6 >> 8) & 255;
      buf7[1] = outputValue7 & 255;
      buf7[0] = (outputValue7 >> 8) & 255;
      endstring[0] = 10; //LF
      endstring[1] = 13; //CR

// Send bytes
      Serial.write(ID, sizeof(ID));   // Sends byte values 255,255
      Serial.write(buf0, sizeof(buf0));
      Serial.write(buf1, sizeof(buf1));
      Serial.write(buf2, sizeof(buf2));
      Serial.write(buf3, sizeof(buf3));
      Serial.write(buf4, sizeof(buf4));
      Serial.write(buf5, sizeof(buf5));
      Serial.write(buf6, sizeof(buf5));
      Serial.write(buf7, sizeof(buf5));
      Serial.write(endstring, sizeof(endstring));    // Sends Byte values 10,13

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    This is what I get:
    0%: 000 000
    25% 063 255
    50%: 127 255
    75%: 191 255
    100% 255 255

Are you sure, that the values you posted are correct?
  5. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0

OK, thank you very much for the code! Straight forward :) I think I can understand and use it.

Could you still confirm 15% and 85%?

Thanks for the help!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Yes, this is correct conversions... You could eve use the windows calculator in programmer mode for conversions between hex dec or binary...

The reason there is 1 digit offset is because usually I deal with values like 127 or 255 instead of 128 or 256 for bytes...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz

Balance:
    7,097Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    I was searching for a paper which should come with the vid but I didn’t found it.

@Dirty , if you understand this prediction algorithm you could maybe explain the basics of this approach...
  8. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  9. lromaniuk

lromaniuk bny

Software Programmer
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lromaniuk

lromaniuk bny

Software Programmer
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It seems that it will be close to impossible to incorporate this kind of (MPC) controll algorithm in general purpose simulation (case of switching vehicle type from plane to car or even from daily driver to race car) since predictions are usually calculated according to some behavioral model of particular vehicle. Additionally some kind of feedback input (like telemetry of the platform or output from model of human vestibular system) is used to achieve more accurate predicitions. In general it's a fight for better workspace utilization which leads to better motion cues. Still I think that no matter what kind of algorithm is used it is impossible to mitigate false cues in case of agressive motion that is produced by race cars or acrobatic planes - that thought makes me wonder if making my hexapod with all its limitations is still worth it.
  11. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Well explained! Better workspace utilisation is a possible benefit of this. But the better it gets for one Vehicle the worse it gets for all others.
    I think I said it somewhere before with the words: It's always a trade-off between making the motion more "gerneral" vs. more "specific".

For our use case (human-in-the-loop, open world scenario) predictions are of very limited use, because the better the motion gets when they are correct, the worse it gets when they are wrong :)

At least for flighthsims the idea of a simulator is NOT to have to follow a preplanned path.
    "Touchdown on the runway" might be one of the few events that can be predicted with sufficient reliability. And even that only with a few seconds prior notice.

Dirty :)
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  12. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I've often thought the same thing. But ever since SeatTime broke ground with his 6 dof simulator it seems most everyone wants a hexapod 6 dof now because they think its the best. Unfortunately a lot of creativeness people used in the past to build unique and better motion rigs has now been lost to, "Lets just build a hexapod 6 dof".

I'm more and more convinced everyday though as I've been developing a g-seat that a g-seat that's capable of applying adequate pressure in the right places for surge, sway, and heave along with a simple 2 dof (or 3) is the way to go. The g-seat handles sustained forces while the 2 dof provides basic acceleration and orientation cueing. VR likes it better too.

But I suppose if you're an actual pilot of planes or race cars and are looking to recreate real life experiences on a motion rig you are likely to be disappointed no matter. But if you're not then motion that is similar to the real thing should be enough for you to train yourself to accept these cues as a second reality.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  13. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    . G systems are great and I added them to my 6DOF rig, due to (at the time) major cue algorithms shortcomings and to get more 'Gs' out of our small rigs. Had been mainly using my 6DOF for pitch/roll/heave (with a small/sharp amount of Sway/Surge), but with all these new 6DOF controllers now available, I look forward to getting back into tuning my 6DOF for a even better experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    A 6 dof will obviously allow more types of cueing than a 2 or 3 dof. However when time and/or budget is a consideration then I would rather have a well functioning g-seat (or system) with a 2 or 3 dof than to have a 6 dof without a g-seat. With a g-seat its up to each individual to determine whether the additional expense of a 6 dof is worth it to gain the additional cueing.
  15. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Btw I don't know if the GS-5 is a well functioning G-seat or not since I've never been in one. But I'm skeptical about the use of just 4 paddles that apply pressure to the butt and back only. The G-seat I'm developing utilizes 3 additional zones. I've been delayed somewhat though due to finding the best motor(s) to use to heave with because it still takes a lot of power to heave a person even if its a couple of inches and be fast enough to simulate the road texture also without overheating after several laps.
  16. harwoodr

harwoodr New Member

Balance:
    441Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    I’ve been thinking about throwing an accelerometer on the platform and doing an automated set of runs - tweaking the motion cueing parameters a little for each run... then comparing the output of each run to the input.

That said, my masters report is in (and by the sounds of it, approved, yay me) so I think my wife might want the garage back for a while.
  17. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    There are plenty of apps to measure/log accelerations, and I've had similar thoughts, but eventually I arrived at the question: What parameter(s) would I even want to optimise?
    I found some articles about cost functions, but it hasn't yet "clicked" in my head.
  18. harwoodr

harwoodr New Member

Balance:
    441Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Well, in my case it's about tuning the omega(s) in the motion cueing... and maybe my PID parameters.
  19. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i am one of these persons.
    i just want to save time, building simulators are not easy.. and i hate to re-invent the wheel as well.
    i am lucky to have everyone here as a resource.
    part of me thinks its ok that there is a lot of hexabods, so that the hexapod community can share its successes and errors collaborate and improve their builds instead of tons of dissimilar designs...

i mean hexapod builders are pretty much following industrial designs.. how far can we go beyond that unless some has resources and space to build a man-size centrifuge..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. lromaniuk

lromaniuk bny

Software Programmer
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess hexapod Stewart was a holy grail of DIY simulation for a long time due to extremly high costs (at a time - though building a 6dof now is still not cheap at all) and it's also quite complicated. Peapople where looking for other solutions to incorporate motion to their experiance.

As for the gseat - I must confess that I'm sceptical. G systems are pushing only certain parts of a body (to mimic sustained accelerations) but your head (and vestibular system in it) stays put - that's a serious drawback. On a 6dof you can emulate sustained acceleration with tilt coordination - sure it's limited (or rather should be) with rotation rate etc. but it acts on your whole body - that convinces me more - a drawback is that it's slow and easly can create false cues.

I'm not a pilot or a race car driver so it should be quite easy to make me happy it terms of motion as long as the motion makes sense to my brain ( or maybe to what it expects to feel) :)
    • Agree Agree x 1