1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Low cost 2DOF/3DOF/6DOF motion simulator - DOF REALITY

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Radioproffi, May 23, 2016.

1. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Sorry, I'm not sure. I suspect it's standard Arduino but really don't know.

Andy
  2. Mole

Mole New Member

Balance:
    - 16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    No worries Andy, when it arrives i will try swapping one and report back here if all is ok.
  3. Mole

Mole New Member

Balance:
    - 16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I swapped the arduino i-bt2 driver for an off the shelf arduino i-bt2 driver and everything is working as it should.
  4. isamu

isamu Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -0
    Anyone know if DOF Reality is planning on building a version of the P6 that is more sturdier/beefier/rugged for those of us who weigh a bit more(ie 350lb) and want to mount more heavy duty hardware(ie SimSteering wheel, Quaife H-pattern shifter, Quaife sequential shifter)???
  5. Mpmo

Mpmo Member

Balance:
    1,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
    Email dofreality, they respond quick
  6. detail

detail New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    What did they say. I'm fit, but weight 210. That is extremely close to the line, I'd like more of a margin.
  7. isamu

isamu Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -0
    yeah I'm heavier than you but it's not just *MY* weight I'm concerned with, it's the weight of my hardware, namely my two shifters, one H-pattern and the other sequential. Both are from Quiafe and are very heavy and made from real car parts. Needs a very sturdy mount and can't be installed in a half ass or mickey mouse way.
  8. detail

detail New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I'm fit too, so it isn't like I can drop weight. That is just a low margin and I'd like to add the GS-5 seat and that is 85 pounds.

https://simxperience.com/products/motionsimulatorkits/gs-5g-seat.aspx

I'm saving for a new computer, an Index, and a DOF for DCS (why is IL-2 refusing to support motion?!?!?!). I've got $2k saved and think i can save more this summer for a late fall build.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    From what I've heard, the developers say that with providing an API for motion that they're also opening themselves up to hacking & cheating capabilities.

So in other words...we can't have nice things due to their paranoia and distrust of their customers. o_O
  10. detail

detail New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Shame, I think to eliminate that, maybe SimTools can encrypt the data so it isn't accessible by the user, just the results.

Also, make it so that admins can decide if it is going to be allowed on their server. That would solve the PvP cheating problem. I doubt too many PvE and squadron servers would ban it for their wingmen.
  11. mrfurious214

mrfurious214 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have an H3 and one of the gearbox's broke so they shipped a new one but I'm not sure how to replace it. I have most of the original gearbox unscrewed but I can't figure out how to remove the shaft that goes through the middle of the gearbox. Anyone know how to do this?

Attached Files:

12. mrfurious214

mrfurious214 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Figured it out...there is a little black clip that needed to be slid off first :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RAHULUS

RAHULUS New Member

Balance:
    99Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody have a video example of this 'slack' - I can't figure out what is supposed to be normal and what is not. There seems to be a decent amount of play in the rig.

Thanks
  14. mrfurious214

mrfurious214 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I don't have a vid but the normal amount is quite a bit. It's a small movement at the gearbox but that translates into lots of slack for the rig in total. I got used to it quickly but it practically eliminates the fine/small movements of the rig :(.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RAHULUS

RAHULUS New Member

Balance:
    99Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately that sounds about right!!
  16. mrfurious214

mrfurious214 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    We also have to keep in mind the budget constraints to keep this rig at such a low price
  17. Mpmo

Mpmo Member

Balance:
    1,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
    does the 6dof have this "slack" thing...?
  18. rsbell

rsbell Member

Balance:
    334Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    No.
  19. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    There 6 dof has the slack thing to, all wormgearmotors have backlash!
    But because there design you wont feel it.
    There lowert COG and slow accel. under 1 G takes it out.
    when you go not to far off balance (there lowert COG helps with that) and stay under 1G there is no backlash.
    But there slow accel. takes a lot off fine movement out
  20. WhaleDriver

WhaleDriver Long live the Queen

Pilot
    Balance:
    151Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have had nothing but trouble with my rig for months due to overall slack in the system. Originally built as an H6, was told upgrading to P6 with better motors would solve it but still nothing. At this point I feel like it was the costliest mistake of my life (and I've been divorced!).

Excess slack causes so much shaking in the rig that it is unusable. Pitching up is fine, but on pitching down it violently shakes and kills any sense of realism. Working with DOF Reality has gotten me nowhere. I hate to say it but unless something changes I cannot recommend this to anyone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/69nbw8hUw2WZCvYJ6
    This video is when it was still an H6. Upgrading to the P6 made it less severe, but nowhere near what it needs to be.

UPDATE 10/11/19: Problems have all been fixed. DOF Reality continued working with me and we solved the problems. See https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...imulator-dof-reality.8570/page-59#post-185982
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019