1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 DOF Motion sumulator need advice..

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Jean Paul Andrade, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jean Paul Andrade

Jean Paul Andrade Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    hi guys, I'm in a dilemma about the design of the rig for my 3DOF motion simulator, at first I decided to make it with Roll, Pitch and Yaw forces, with 360° motion (i think that way its call it) the thing is that after a lot of reading and research, looking another projects I'm not so sure if the rotation of the hole structure will be a problem, specifically when the car looses control and turns more than 360° how behaves the motion controller? I realized that most of the designs uses ROLL PITCH AND SWAY. .. I really appreciate your help
  2. sam poole

sam poole Active Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    hi i think if you want a 360 degree yaw you will be needing a slip ring and a more complex design so i think it depends a lot on what it will be used for for example racing games would be better suited to 2 dof with traction loss but flying games not so much
  3. sam poole

sam poole Active Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    with a slip ring you can make it infinite yaw by just leaving the pot unmounted and centered but will need to be able to handle the current of your other 2 motors pc and peripherals
  4. Jean Paul Andrade

Jean Paul Andrade Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    That's exactly what I have in mind, a slip ring that supports a platform with triangle shap with three guide wheels one of wich helds the motor. Is a car racing sim, but you're right it would be less complex with traction loss, btw, isn't a 2DOF with traction loss the same as a 3DOF? Im lost here!
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  5. Jean Paul Andrade

Jean Paul Andrade Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for reply, you just answered one of my doubts, about the pot of the third motor. Thanks a lot, i'm using the SMC3 code for arduino, but I wasn't sure about that Pot. Now you say infinite yaw, isn't a way to limit that movement so i don't have any problems with the cables? I'm not planing to mount the PC in the structure.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  6. sam poole

sam poole Active Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I guess you could call it a 3 dof but its a way of distinguishing it from a 3dof with heave instead which requires high power motors to achieve the lift so traction loss becomes a lot cheaper to accomplish
  7. sam poole

sam poole Active Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    sure you just mount the pot as usual and gear the motor to rotate the 360 degrees of the chair its just when it over shoots the software will try to snap back to the opposite side which is obviously unnatural but this can be smoothed out with the washout function in simtools
    • Friendly Friendly x 1