1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    IF you have a Nano or Uno or pretty much any Arduino, there is an oscilloscope (google Arduino oscilloscope) that you can use to visualize what is happening with the signals from the encoder. It was very useful when testing the encoder in my DFGT. https://www.instructables.com/id/3-Channel-Arduino-Oscilloscope-Under-5-/

Also, if you have a multimeter with a “diode check” function you can locate which pin does what by measuring all the pins against each other. There is a great guide here:
    https://reprap.org/wiki/Optical_encoders_01
    The Logitech encoders use the same principle as the printer ones.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi guys need some tips please , all electrics breaborded and just cant seem to get the DamM Xloader to download Firmware to the Leonardo , im sure I have followed the simple instructions on how to use Xloader But screaming sounds are now annoying the neighbour's.. ( That will be me then )

No matter what firmware I try i.e FFBwheel.0.16.Leonardo.hex or the EMC equivalent , Xloader trips out as Upload failed , :-(

I used the Ardunio IDE to confirm the Leonardo was ok? by just uploading the Blink test and everything complied and loaded OK :) small Whop of relief .

so back to Xloade , Run Utility , Select Hex file , Check Com Port , Check Baud speed , Press reset , Device manager is open so I can confirm the Comport allocated to the Leonardo all good so far , now all I should need to do is press Upload and wait a few seconds for File uploaded and File Byte size should be displayed ( like a million vids on you tube show ) .......er in my case still getting Upload fail or says uploading but im sure it should not take 5 minutes to upload so I needed to press reset to jump out of Xloader ...

Any tips would be appreciated , ( its supposed to be easy I know but as always it seems im missing a trick ) countless youtube videos and Forums Checked but still cant crack it ..

Now gonna try a regular Ardunio Uno or nano now to see if its Leonardo related or not .. Damm I was hoping to spin up the DC motor version over the past weekend but getting square eyes trying to get over this hurdle ...
  3. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I use a cheap “velleman” Leonardo, and I have not encountered any problems with xloader nor EMC. Windows 10?
    Could you screenshot settings? Do you get any error messages in EMC? Have you tried the latest EMC Lite?
  4. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @Chris_Beeves sorry I for got to take pics in my frustration , so will repeat the trail again and grab some screen shots, wanted to get a back up Leonardo so may well try your suggestion just in case .. Thanks for the feedback really appreciated .
  5. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi ya a few Pics of the test setu[ for Xloader , I often have these cant see the wood for the trees moments so if something jumps out please let me know . this is test is being done on my Windows XP laptop system , Trying to load MMOS firmware to Leonardo ( Ardunino Clone ) using X Loader Hex File transfer Utility .

Attached Files:

6. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    MMOS is for stm32 only.

Did you installed the Arduino Libraries, soft, on pc before trying to hex it with Xloader?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  7. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you look in Device manager you will see that the Leonardo changes com port number when it goes into bootloader mode. That is the number you want to use in Xloader.
  8. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It looks like he has the proper hex in the folder, so I guess he means that one. (Leonardo.016 something)
  9. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    If you look in Device manager you will see that the Leonardo changes com port number when it goes into bootloader mode. That is the number you want to use in Xloader.

Guess that's a case. He missed that thing apparently.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys many thanks for giving a new area to check out , I did notice that when looking at device manager I saw the Leonardo address change briefly from COM 28 to Com 31 but then changed back to COM 28 .... thought this was just device manager trying to find a comport for the Leonardo..

Gonna go have another attempt now I have calmed down LOL ,,,.. Fingers crossed guys :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It does that when you reset the unit. It goes into bootloader mode for 8 seconds. Just look what com port it gets and set xloader to that instead. It’ll solve your issue 100%-ish.. ;)

However, I would recommend using EbolzMagy’s EMCUtilityLite. It is free and makes setting up the controller super easy.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS YE HA Baby sorted loaded OK and with Byte count confirmation so I can only assume this is a great step , massive thanks to the tips from you guys here, I would have never found that in a million years LOL ... I really don't recall seeing any info in the Xloader tutorial that explains the need to been in bootloader Comport when pressing upload .

They said be quick and the need to press reset , But nothing about ( or at least I missed that bit regarding) Getting the timing right when Pressing upload ..

BIG UP Thnaks Guys @motiondynamics and @Sieben , this was a big relief on my part and this fix was great news to add to go with the new Motor I just got brand new off flea bay but knock down price of £20.00

Gonna go write this up and will add these lesson learnt to my thread when I get off my Butt to start one LOL .. You Guys Rock

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hola, hay alguna forma de colocar el aro del g27 con sus 6 botones en el volante de g25 usando la placa madre original g25???

Los 6 botones del aro del g27 se pueden conectar en donde iria la palanca de cambios del g25? Saludos

Hello, is there any way to place the g27 hoop with its 6 buttons on the g25 steering wheel using the original g25 motherboard ???

The 6 buttons of the ring of the g27 can be connected to where would the gear lever of the g25 go? regards
  14. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  15. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi All

I have struggled to load firmware/hex files to my Arduino Leonardo.

I've tried the reset button on and upload , but nothing worked.

I then discovered that if I set the baud rate to 1200 and select the updated COM port it would be successful.

Just trying to help everyone, since it seem there is no resolution available on the net.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi
    Change the baud rate to 1200 and try uploading...the 1200 baud rate triggers the bootloader. Also double check the COM port number, because it hops around when it goes into bootloader mode.

I was just so frustrated....so I decided to speak softly and slowly to the Arduino ....and I reckon it works. Please let me know if you get it sorted
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Did you manage to resolve your ffb issue. I am having the same problem, ffb when turn in one direction only. Please let me know
  18. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi
    I bought bts7960 and connected it to arduino like this:
    5v vcc
    gnd gnd
    8 l_en
    8 r_en
    9 l_pwm
    10 r_pwm
    but force feedback doesnt work. Do u know maybe why?(im using ebolz magy emc software)
  19. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Connect/disconnect the board from usb. With every change of pwm frequency, you may also need this. Put the Constant Force slider to top or kinda.
    The EMC does not have desktop effects, otherwise you will switch on the wheelcheck for spring effects etc. But ffb will be in a game.
    Any questions fell free to ask.

P.S. Where did you took that pin connections? That's wrong!

Only need choose "pwm+/-" mode in EMC and pin, 9 & 10 for BTS from Arduino . LEN, REN to 5v from Arduino. Look the EMC video on connection......

EMCV9wiring (1).png
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  20. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The new FW has desktop effects. (Or maybe just Pro?)

The wiring is correct with newer firmware. Connecting the L&R enable to constant 5V will give you a sort of cumulative resistance. Setting them to pin 8 takes that problem away and let’s you “freewheel”.

Try loading the default profile, it’ll give you a good starting point. What Arduino are you using?
    • Like Like x 1