1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hi, Sisi! It's the same, 60 slot wheel, thank you very much. I just tried it and it does not work ... it's turning to one side. My encoder has 5 cables.
    In my encoder there is a red cable next to VCC, it will not be the HOMING? or my encoder will be broken?

hola, sisi! es el mismo, rueda de 60 slot, muchas gracias. Recién lo probé y no funciona... queda girando para un lado. Mi encoder tiene 5 cables.
    En mi encoder hay un cable rojo junto a VCC, no sera el HOMING? o mi encoder estará roto?
  2. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Se puede ver mi encoder y noto que hay una parte del PCB que es distinta al de la foto de igor.

You can see my encoder and I notice that there is a part of the PCB that is different from the igor photo.

59537755_306042496995509_5959962057498427392_n.jpg
  3. Fernando Igor

Fernando Igor Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    913Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    The last wire is attached to a pin of a varistor (the latest versions have been removed), just ignore the last wire (it seems to be red in your case);

Black - Channel A
    Yellow - Gnd
    White - Channel B
    Green - 5v Vcc

Tested the encoder of the g27 only with 5 volts, I do not know if at lower voltages it will work correctly.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hola Igor, el encoder está conectado a 5v en el Arduino Leonardo.
    Con una cámara de teléfono, puedo ver que el emisor de color, el infrarojo color lila, como puedo probar que el codificador anda bien?
    Veré de probar con otro codificador :(Saludos

Hello Igor, the encoder is connected to 5v on the Arduino Leonardo.
    With a cell phone camera I can see that the emitter turns on the purple LED, how can I prove that the encoder is working?
    I'll see to try another encoder. regards
  5. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Connect A&B channels where required to arduino. With AIwave U need to toogle every time the switch. Pin 6, or 8, if reckon right, and ground. Check the schematics and directions to AIsoft. Or use EMC.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you! Today in the afternoon I try and let them know if it works or not. Regards!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hola, tuve un tiempo y me puse a trabajar con el volante, conecte todos los cables y no anda, el Ai-Wave me lo detecta, y no hace nada, pone error calibración, los motores ni giran.

Probé dentro de Ai-Wave cambiar de PWM +Dir a PWM +/- y en esta última opcion los motores ni giran, espero me puedan echar una manito. saludos

Hello, I had a time and I started to work with the steering wheel, connect all the cables and do not go, the Ai-Wave detects me, and does not do anything, put error error, the engines do not turn.

I tried in Ai-Wave to change PWM + Go to PWM +/- and in this last option the engines and the tours, I hope you can help out. regards

Attached Files:

8. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Pal, really try emc soft. Can try on/off the Ardu usb with soft on/off too while set up for the first time with connections.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok, pruebo con EMC lite? las conecciones son las mismas?

ok, I try with EMC lite? the connections are the same?
  10. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Better see the video with lite one then. I use conventional. )
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hola, mire los videos de y seguí el esquema de conexionado y sigue sin funcionar, no me detecta el movimiento del encoder:( estará roto?

hello, look at the videos of and I followed the connection scheme and it still does not work, does not detect the movement of the encoder :( will it be broken?
  12. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Hope U have programmed that with the hex for emc. Don't know about g25 encoders, just try all the same things for them as usuall. Use separate power, not from arduino to encoder, with common grounds. Use push pull resistors on signal channels pins with aditionall power connected there.
  13. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hola, probé con EMC LITE y con AI-WAVE y no logro detectar el movimiento, probé en AI-WAVE conectar sin el encoder y hacer ruido en A y B y funciona bien el Arduino Leonardo,
    El vcc del encoder lo conecto a una fuente de poder ATX con el GND en común con Arduino.
    Puede ser que el encoder del Logitech g27 este roto o quemado?Como puedo probar eso?

Hello, I tried EMC LITE and with AI-WAVE and I can not detect the movement, I tried in AI-WAVE to connect without the encoder and make noise in A and B and the Arduino Leonardo works well,

The encoder vcc connected it to an ATX power source with the GND in common with Arduino.

Could it be that the Logitech g27 encoder is broken or burned? How can I prove that?
  14. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    AguNicoGaby how about possibility to put there standard encoder?
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. AguNicoGaby

AguNicoGaby New Member

Balance:
    78Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hola sieben, probé con otro encoder, en este caso con el encoder de un G25 y anduvo bien! Mi encoder deben tener el canal A o B defectuoso, Saludos y gracias por la ayuda!

Hello sieben, I tried another encoder, in this case with the encoder of a G25 and it went well! My encoder should have the A or B channel defective, Greetings and thanks for the help!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    [QUOTE = "OZHEAT, post: 96380, member: 19298"] [USER = 12284] [USER = 12284] [USER = 12284] [USER = 12284] [USER = 12284] @Alexey [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER]

"Also, speed is related to torque. So if you want to control torque, you could run PWM at max (tied high) and then limit current to limit torque.
    In the end it would perform the same or similar as a PWM control. "

In a steering wheel there is very little speed because you are holding on to it, it is almost always at stall / starting current which coresponds to max torque.
    Torque is directly related amps.
    In a steering wheel I want to feel torque or resistance against turning me in to corner.

With your current setup Do you feel the difference between a slow corner and fast corners?
    Does a small bump feel like a pothole?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what mmos is outputing and it varies the PWM regardless of whether the wheel moves or not. I just can not get it out of my head that it always wants to run very close to stall then high torque particularly with a high RPM motor like what you are using.
    [/ QUOTE]

[QUOTE = "OZHEAT, post: 96383, member: 19298"] [USER = 8539] [USER = 8539] [USER = 8539] [USER = 8539] [USER = 8539] @RufusDufus [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER]
    Thats what I want to do, a current / torque control loop.
    The idea that I was thinking is using the PWM signal and converting to an analog signal 0-5v.
    Using a current sensing circuit and feeding both signals to a comparator, the product would feed VCO or use another timer for PWM of the H-bridge. [/ QUOTE]

[QUOTE = "pipis2015, post: 96406, member: 15845"] You are right when you say that you can change the torque by changing the pmw.But you do not control it. You just change it (increase it or decrease it) by an unknown factor.

Only by given certain and known amperage flow values ... different pmw (aka different voltage values) produces different controlled torque results for each individual motor.

My guess was that there had to be some kind of amperage regulatory system at least if not a continuously calculated value.

So to end up I was just curious to know if there was some kind of 3D mapping that the wheel controllers use to reproduce with torque, the data that they get from the game.

Or if approximated (and most likely unrealistic) torque queues (forces) are reproduced on our wheelsets

[/ QUOTE]

I guess, I have made that thing with this effect of curent controll, or limit, while testing the DIY H-bridge driver. The curent were limited in the mosfets (that's not the right thing by itself, while they worked in the linear mode), but the feel on the wheel were very good. I'd say fantastic. Have not that with BTS7960 set up. The force of the pwm were 100%. Wheel linearity were right, even though there is a gap in the beginning. It the sim I do not give any gaps somehow.
    [​IMG]

Just a report. May be someone will find it valuable) What was that, was it right, also havent understand. With MY1025 it burned in that mode. May be set up with 550 motors will do trick better, for that driver, and will tell more)
    Will the power supply with just controllable amperage be enough for this kind of motor set ups. Do not know)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  17. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    By the way. Anyone encounter the artificial behavior of the encoder while using MMOS? It's like freezing or kinda. For Arduino it was with external 12v power supply, but stm reject it. So just 5v from stm to the encoder.
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  18. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hi guys!
    I'm building a FFB handlebar controller using a Leonardo and EMC at the moment. I have an STM board coming in by mail that I will be using for this project, but I also have a DFGT that I plan to convert using the Arduino. Maybe it can improve FFB, which today is extremely weak "in the middle"..
    How do you calibrate the wheel angle? Do you have to start the application every time and press enter, or is there some way to use an "index" channel to center the wheel?
  19. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well, that was easy enough!
    Converted my DFGT to BTS7960 and an Arduino tonight. The encoder works great! 3100 counts per rotation!
    Just ran it through wheeltest so far, but it seems to be a lot better even with the stock PSU.
    EMC soft made it super easy to install, and I didn’t have to cut a single wire. Fully restorable!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +230 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Installing and calibration of a non-Gamepad in Steam was a big pain! But I finally got it working with Dirt Rally, and wow! It’s a completely different wheel. Even with this Lite version of EMC it outplays the old “brain” big time. The resolution and the subtleties come through much better now.
    Can’t wait to see what the STM and MMOS can do!