1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Simtools Serial Port (Test Output) Not Working

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by brocessor, May 22, 2019.

1. brocessor

brocessor New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi all,

I have setup Simtools and added some example axis assignements. Then I setup the Interface as in the screenshots below.
    I have writte some basic Arduino code to respond with the data received or "..." if nothing was received.
    Somehow I am getting no Data to the Arduino.

HELP PLEASE?

upload_2019-5-22_12-27-23.png

upload_2019-5-22_12-27-49.png

upload_2019-5-22_12-26-19.png upload_2019-5-22_12-26-48.png
  2. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Because you can't have SimTools and the serial monitor connecting to the board at the same time.

Try to disconnect simtools and send something with the monitor for testing
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ghidossi

ghidossi Member

Balance:
    - 12Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    sometime you have to flush the serial port before be able to connect again with another software
  4. Rens

Rens Member

Balance:
    517Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Could you explain how to flush the serial port, I am also having issues with getting data from Simtools into Arduino > Tools > Serial Monitor. It's just empty. Sometimes when I start up Arduino, and then Simtools and then start Output Testing, and then go to Arduino > Tools > Serial Monitor, I can actually see some data. But as soon as I open it the data stops flowing...
  5. Rens

Rens Member

Balance:
    517Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok, I will try this (since I am having the same issue). But what data should I be sending? Is it in the format what I put in my "Interface Settings > Interface Output"? For example: R<Axis1a>~L<Axis2a>~

So I should send data like so: R120~L90~
    ?

It's very difficult to debug my code without being able to get data directly from Simtools while Serial Monitor is opened :(
  6. Rens

Rens Member

Balance:
    517Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok, so it appears that I can just send data via Serial Monitor like so: R120~L90~
    Thanks a lot, now I can continue with my project :)