1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question About the installation of the universal joint

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by wp8051, Apr 16, 2019.

1. wp8051

wp8051 Racing simulator player Gold Contributor

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Excuse me, how to install the universal joint on the aluminum profile?

Who has the experience in this area, or the picture let me see it?

Recently I want to use aluminum profiles as my racing simulator bracket, but I don't know how to properly install the universal joint on the aluminum profile, and I don't know which style and specification of the universal joint should be used. Who can give it? Do I have some suggestions?
  2. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Ciao, la tua domanda non è chiara. In generale, i giunti hanno estremità in ferro o acciaio, con tondini o accoppiamenti per tubi tondi. È possibile effettuare una piastra di ferro dove saldare un tubo tondo, in modo da fissare la piastra di profili in alluminio e digitare il giunto sul tubo. Appena posso vi rivolgo alcune immagini. Spero di essere stato utile.
    Micma
  3. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hi, your question is not clear. In general, the joints have iron or steel ends, with round bars or round tube couplings. You can make an iron plate where to weld a round tube, so as to screw the plate to the aluminum profiles and key the joint on the tube. As soon as I can I turn you some pictures. I hope I was helpful.
    Sorry... My bad English
    Regards
    Micma
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. wp8051

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello, thank you for your suggestion. I have done it now, I used a 10 mm thick nylon plate to join the aluminum profiles above and below, and it is very strong.
  5. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hhello, I am afraid that a nylon plate is not very strong, then it depends on the configuration of your simulator. My old 2DOF (alluminium full frame above) was done as in the picture.
    https://ibb.co/3BthYss
    https://ibb.co/yFggzxJ

regards
    micma[​IMG]
  6. ghidossi

ghidossi Member

Balance:
    - 12Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    do you have a picture of the part you want to install please ?
  7. wp8051

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  8. wp8051

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  9. wp8051

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Because I don't have strong mechanical hands and the right tools, I can't process the metal. I can only try and find some parts that can be done with a simple tool like a screwdriver.
  10. ghidossi

ghidossi Member

Balance:
    - 12Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    woow great work, i like the small place it take
  11. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hi, ...
    pity, I saw your project, excellent and very nice. An iron plate, a hacksaw and a drill would be enough. I am afraid that the holes on the nylon in the long run may widen and create unwanted games. Have you thought of alternatively putting a second profile underneath to screw the nylon plates in four places?
    micma
  12. wp8051

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well, the advice you gave is very valuable.

In the beginning, I thought about it this way. After all, the weight of the whole person should be pressed on it. The bottom of the universal joint should be stronger than the top.

But at the same time, I hope to use the least and most economical materials to achieve the whole structure. I want to make a piece of steel plate or iron plate in the past, so that the overall weight will be heavier than now.

Then I took the idea of trying to buy a piece of MC nylon board with a thickness of 10mm. I feel that this is enough, and then drilled on it. The strength of this MC nylon board is comparable to that of steel, and it is very very light.

After some time of testing, its performance made me satisfied, without any deformation and displacement.

I also used the MC nylon board to fix the SCN5. I only used the MC nylon board with a thickness of 5mm. I chose the Yobuddy design for this solution. Although, I don't know what material he is using, this MC nylon board has very good strength, toughness, and is very light.

Finally, after the MC nylon board was bolted to the aluminum profile, it was very very strong, just like steel welding.
  13. wp8051

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The bottom with 2 aluminum profiles is definitely better, I just want to save some money, haha.