1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Cousin of OSW (Open Sim Wheel)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Sep 23, 2017.

1. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    See the link in previous post.
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  3. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of your replies.

Since my budget is only $150USD and based on Alexey saying it's not worth it, I will not buy the treadmill motor. I don’t really have room to experiment.

For a my1020 I can buy the 500w version for $45 and the 1000w for $70. Is it worth the difference?
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I suggest you spend the extra and get the 1kw version

you will have plenty of torque
  5. Czary

Czary New Member

electrician
    Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor, Arduino
    Hello, I'd like to confirm that STM32F0 Discovery flash memory size (64kB) is too small for this project as the FFB2014-0.99.2.hex is 86 kB, so need to go for the F4 version anyway.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    Sorry, I was not clear on what was on my mind here...
    My thought was that you maybe could replace the expensive Simcube system used in the OSW, where the Mige servos are used.

I’ve got Mige 130ST-M100-10 BLDC motor, but I didn’t manage to make it work with ODrive.
    It seems that the current fw doesn’t handle that kind of resistance/inductance.

Hoverboard is still interesting, but I haven't any good idea of how to fit the encoder.
    I spent some hours earlier this week reading about using a optical mouse as a position encoder using a printed pattern on the surface (the wheel side in this case), but It probably will miss position in higher speeds...

Found a encoder solution. Not cheap and easy though....
    https://discourse.odriverobotics.com/t/hoverboard-motor-with-built-in-encoder/790
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  7. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I will get the 1000w

How can I calculate the torque figures?

Also how do you suggest I power it?
  8. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    All the answers you need are in this thread - I used a IBT-2 and a transformer to drive my wheel
  9. Czary

Czary New Member

electrician
    Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Can we use LM7805 voltage regulator instead of separate 5VDC PSU to power up the h-bridges and SN7404 buffer ?
  10. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes or use 5v from the stm32
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ste94

ste94 New Member

Balance:
    203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, i'm switching my arduino leonardo for an stm32f407vet6 board (the black one). I did all the wiring and the steering wheel feels great compared to the arduino (i have a 2500 ppr encoder which is too much for the arduino) but i have a big problem. I can't save the "Device Setup" values in the MMos software, i've tried everything is mentioned online ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s4TOLojNwBZ87DkieeLmKQnGWlJlE3u6NJLsD9uO7vI/edit , , http://ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/OpenSimwheel-Tutorial.pdf ) even running the program as admin, but every time i close it and open it back the PWM, encoder cpr and all the rest are resetted to 0. I don't know how to fix it, did someone here ever run into a problem like this?

EDIT: I solved the problem, I just needed to turn the steering wheel to send some input from the encoder to the stm. That made mmos recognize the wheel with the correct settings.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  12. Czary

Czary New Member

electrician
    Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello, today I'd like to ask you to check if my KiCad schematic is correct. If so, I'll design connector board PCB with female pin headers to plug STM directly into that board.

Attached Files:

13. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    the hoverboard motor is really a different project becasue it needs to use a brushless motor and motorcontroller

it really needs to be on its own thread - not this one

your my1020 may be a better / proven solution in the long run we will have to wait and see

@noorbeast - can the hoverboard motor discussion be moved to a separate thread ?
  14. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Hi RaceRay,

I started a new thread for the hoverboard motor build here.
    It would be nice if you could move most of the posts starting with #512 except posts #515, #572, #574 - #576, #578, #579.

Thanks

Benu
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sidbmw

sidbmw New Member

Balance:
    58Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stirbu Cristian

Stirbu Cristian New Member

referent
    Balance:
    228Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i need wiring scheme for 2 IBT 2 CARDS IN PARALEL , i use EMC software , and in paralel motor spin , dont stop on final degree left right, i broken my finger , with singe IBT its ok , use my 1020 500 w / server source 56 ah + 4 ah stationary acumulator for buffer
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Czary

Czary New Member

electrician
    Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi, as PCB design is almost finished, I would like to ask for SN7407 buffer/pull-up resistors to IBT connections. Please see the picture and correct me, if there is something wrong:
    SN7407.jpg
  18. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    I have 3 IBT-2 in parallel connected to the same kind of chip with no problem, so you shouldn't need any buffers. Have you tried both IBT:s separately so you are sure that they both are ok?
  19. Czary

Czary New Member

electrician
    Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi, here is a preview of both sides of the PCB. As you can see I use LM7805 as a 5VDC power source and all pull-up resistors (R1...R7) are optional. The board is designed to drive 2 IBT's.
    As I read earlier that some IBT2 may come faulty already I've ordered four of them ;)
    Copper on red side is +5VDC and green is GND.

Cu Bottom.PNG Cu Front.PNG
  20. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's summer break and I just bought a 1000w 36v MY1020. Really excited to build this wheel.
    I have a couple of questions:
    How much current and voltage do I need to make a comfortable amount of torque? (from what I've read comfortable is around 5Nm)

How many ibt_2s are recommended for that current?

I plan on using PC power supplies to power this wheel bc it is the cheapest option I could find. Is there anything cheaper I can use?

Also I have no experience buying chips. Why do chips like the ibt_2 have different names? I've seen it called the BTS7960 and the BTS7960B. Is there any difference in the quality or function?

edit: just did some reading and I was able to answer most of these questions
    Danove said around post #350 that the amps/nm for a 36V 1000W MY1020 is about 11.125. Therefore to make around 5 Nm I should use 55.6 amps

Since the IBT_2s cut out at around 30A, I should use 2 IBT_2s. I will probably buy 4 bc people say they sometimes arrive defective

I still have the question about the power supplies

The BTS7960b will work

please correct me if Im wrong on any of this
    Last edited: May 23, 2019