1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

AMC1280USB Motion Simulator Controller

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Thanos, Jul 6, 2017.

1. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    For @Thanos,
    in contrast to your advice (upgrading to FW v3.5 rev 1b and your settings) the board is not working. The homing function of 2DOF is strange for me. Please see - - (the link is tested and working for me).
    The board is the red one from 2016 "Thanos TronicGR 2016 | AMC1280USB 6DOF v1G" with FW v3.5 rev1b".
    Please, can you give any further advice!
  2. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF

Some parameters on the latest firmware can have different values on older hardware and may not default to normal ones during upgrade. Go through the lcd menu and check each value and save each one manually. Ill be releasing soon new firmware that will allow restoring factory default parameters to easy fix these legacy issues.

Btw, your video says it unavailable to watch. Make sure you post your videos as unlisted if you dont want them public.
  3. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    New trial:

I hope, it's working now for you.
  4. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok, I see, the second potentiometer wiring is wrong. You need to swap the +5v and Gnd connections on it to make it measure the other direction as right now the motor runs away from the potentiometer instead of following its position.

Try it and let me know.

Thanks
    Thanos
  5. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    For @Thanos,
    swapping the cables (red{+5V} and black{GND}) of actuator 2 is not an improvement - as you can see:

6. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    On the video, the yellow cable does not look like its secured well in the screw terminal...

Also take a video of the LCD screen when you apply power to the motors. I want to see what is the reading of the potentiometers while the actuators are moving. If possible take a video that shows the parameters you have in the LCD menu please as well. I want to see the sensor direction.

Did you check the potetiometer with a multimeter to see if the resistance is moving when you move manually the potentiometer rod? What is the resistance value between the +5v and Gnd wires (black and red) of the potentiometer?

Thanks
    Thanos
  7. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    For @Thanos,

here is the video:

The Dupont-cable are refitted, they are fixed; no improvement.

Enclosed you can find the excel-file with the settings of your board and the DIP-switch settings of the sabertooth 2x32.

Attached Files:

8. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @ChrisCobra nice project , we all go through teething problems initially so hang in there , one thing I thought I'd add and this is just my thoughts , I never fully trust the bread board connector because I have found a few where they seem intact but in fact they are open circuit , Not saying this is your issue , but you are using the same interconnection method as me ( Spring loaded terminal blocks and Bread board M/M or M/F jumpers ) these work great for developing the system but once its working im looking to put a more Robust and reliable fit n Forget solution for my application .

as a precaution ( you may have already done this) I always do a continuity test to check the whole path where these jumpers are used .. They may even fail due to vibration fatigue so be aware , what was ok to start could fail shortly after with these Jumpers .. always add, this is just my 2 cents worth based on lesson learnt but might be something to consider
  9. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi @wannabeaflyer2,
    nice to hear from you. Thank you very much for your hints. I totally agree. The Dupont-jumpers are scrap&junk&rubbish, but I've to use them. In the first test for the linear poti and the actuator in combination with the AMC280USB it was not working in a correct manner. So what was the reason? I've soldered brand new female Dupont-jumpers to the three cables of the poti - and the one for the signal was dead. That's for Dupont-jumpers!

I'm using one CUI-encoder AMT 103-V for one of the two DC-motors BL42-63 from Granite Devices in conjunction with their IONICUBE_4x for a belt driven G27. It's a real incremental encoder (https://www.cui.com/product/resource/amt10.pdf). I had to print an adapter for mounting the encoder. Everything is working fine.

As I've seen from your postings in this thread I want to go to #96 where you describe that you have an AMC1280USB working in combination with BFF. So, my question is: which version (green or red)?
    If red: how is the board marked?

My intention is:
    6 actuators -> seat mover -> AMC1280USB -> sabertooth 2x32 -> BFF
    working for me!

For me it seems to be a lucky combination of AMC1280USB-hardware-version and firmware-version, if they are working successfully.
    Not every Thanos-hardware-version seems to be working with every Thanos-firmware-version.

Going to #291 of this thread @SeaTime is writing:
    "The kickstarter 1280 is happy to work properly on V2.4 and the older 1280 will only work up to 2.1c."
    From the published picture I can identify a red board like my one, but I can not identify the version.

Do you want to share your experiences with your predecessor of the kickstarter board (= barbone version)?
    Do you want to share your settings of the predecessor board?
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  10. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Ok based on the video, you need to set the Sensor direction to Neg 1-2-3-4-5-6

Then, you might have to Swap the motor M1 and M2 connections from the sabertooth to your motors until the motors start to follow the linear potentiometers and stay in middle position.

Right now I think the motor that moves all the way up has wrong direction because of the M1 and M2. But change the sensor direction first and then do one by one the motor connections until they move to center position correctly.

Also make sure to remove these two LM324 chips from the 6DOF ext board!!!! They draw down the voltage of the signals you are using!!! I circled them in the next photo:

Remove LM324 chips.jpg

Thanks
    Thanos
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    @Thanos,
    thank you for your recommondations. I'll give them a try.
  12. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor

@Thanos
    I've done your recommondations, there is no improvement, see video:

I think the best next step for me will be to send the board to you including a sabertooth 2x32 for the right setup by you.

Please confirm that this is the right address:

Athanasios Kontogiannis
    9655 Jimzel Rd
    La Mesa, California
    91942 USA
  13. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @ChrisCobra sorry it took so long to get back to you , Ok have to admit I had some real hair pulling fun and games trying to get The AMC128USB ( Red) barebones working , this was mainly due to me trying several feedback options and software at the same time , and confusing myself let alone the system LOL

Was very happy with the AMC128USB with earlier Firmware as it worked great with Ians BFF, which at the time was me favoured Motion controller software but took a chance and decided to upgrade the system,

Some new Motion Kinematics Players Came onto the scene with Hexpod and FlyPt and also the change of AMC firmware to latest version, so I got really mixed up messing with new encoders / software / firmware... To be fair to Thanos his Patience and Guidance helped me track down and fix a lot of self inflicted hassle ( mainly due to lack of printed info in one place ) so at the moment I have a test bench setup working while I ensure its all safe to go before moding all the other 6 actuators

anyways My Green Original AMC is still connected to a control unit if I need it but trying to keep up to date with new stuff , so Optical encoder are my goal for feedback ( hopefully a bit less maintenance and better reliability)..

To Date the Combination im aiming for will Be AMC / Sabertooth 2 x 60's / Encoder2Pos Interface / FlyPT / Simtools

I will need to Power up and dig out the Firmware version and Parameters of my Old Green AMC and also Print out the Same info for the new AMC128USB barebones , as soon as I have done that i'll post them here for any one interested . pargliding weather so head for the hills to get some air time but will be here and upgrading the actuators once I cough up for another 5 AMT103/v Wide sensors ..

Cheers
  14. ChrisCobra

ChrisCobra New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    For @Thanos,
    I've reflashed to FW v2.1c. I am only want to test "homing" in the moment. For actuator1 it seems to work in 2DOF-mode but not for actuator2; and so in 6DOF it is not working for the other five actuators. Please see video (the video is public):

To @wannabeaflyer2,
    thank you for answering. Im looking for recommondations for the red board (Thanos TronicGR AMC1280USB v1G). I've enclosed an excel-file with my settings for the red board (above mentiond).

Attached Files:

15. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. titomaky

titomaky Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    175Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    thanks thanos, you are a great professional
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi,

I have seen many times, when you upgrade the firmware of the older AMC boards, it does not restore correctly all parameters needed.
    To fix that download and install the firmware 3.5 rev1c I posted below:
    https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC1280USB_Firmware/blob/master/enc_6dof_AMC1280USB_v3.5_rev1c.hex.zip

The first time it runs it should restore the default parameters, if not, you can use the button combination shown on the video to manually restore every parameter to factory values. Reset the board after its restored to initialize correctly.

More here:
    https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC1280USB_Firmware

Thanks
    Thanos
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  18. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You should try with this new firmware I just posted...

https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC1280USB_Firmware
  19. stashy

stashy Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 238Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6
    hi thanos im planning to buy pt actuators i heard i need a controller from you for those to work with sim tools can you direct me to the necessary components i need to buy
    thanks
  20. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi,

If you want to use "PT-ACTUATOR" actuators with AASD-15A servomotors, get this controller here: https://www.tindie.com/products/tronicgr/amc-aasd15a-servo-motion-controller/

If you want to use the more expensive Syntron servomotors, email me for a AMC-MDBOX controller for that ( I offer this directly not via Tindie). Email me at (without the spaces) tronicgr @ gmail . com

Thanks
    Thanos