1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Build: Another Hoverboard DD Wheel

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Erik Green, May 5, 2019.

1. Erik Green

Erik Green Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Inspired by BENU's Hoverboard development thread, I decided to build a Direct Drive wheel myself. Bought the hoverbord on E-Bay for a pittance. Tore it apart. Opened up the wheel. Then did the following

Chucked the rotor and drilled then bored the end for a stud to drive the encoder:
    IMG_20190501_184044240.jpg
    I guess technically the piece above is the 'stator' and the wheel that surrounds is the rotor but.....
    Chucked the wheel and drilled for the encoder drive shaft.
    IMG_20190501_185954878.jpg
    Once I get going in the shop I always forget to take pictures. Not pictured: machined a plug to fit the bored hole in the rotor shaft. This plug has an extension to project out thru the wheel and drive the CUI encoder.
    IMG_20190504_175750203_HDR.jpg

Install the encoder shaft adapter and fit the encoder over it:
    IMG_20190504_182321475_HDR.jpg
    I will use the chassis from the hoverboard to mount the wheel and house the control electronics:
    IMG_20190504_182621436.jpg
    IMG_20190504_182630905.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. Erik Green

Erik Green Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The CUI encoder is a AMT112S-V with 4096ppr which will give a quadrature resolution of 16384 steps per resolution. It is too bad the encoder is mounted externally. I will design the cable to the encodes so will break away if I have a wheel runaway issue etc.
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  3. Faisal Nyan

Faisal Nyan Member

Just a Maker
    Balance:
    375Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Anymore updates? I can't seem to find the Nucleo boards they were using in the other thread in my country (malaysia)