1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF Gearmotor PSU selection

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Mike Stuart, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mike Stuart

Mike Stuart Member

Balance:
    383Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Link to my build in process: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/2dof-gearmotor-build-design-in-process.13104/

Using a Sabertooth 2x32, pgsaw 50:1 motors, would this power supply be acceptable to run both motors? Does anyone have other suggestions?

https://harddiskdirect.com/atsn-700...wRQfUqSPPosdWFVX_FxrCMSnichruCXoaApPWEALw_wcB
  2. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    In my case I have an almost identical source and I feed the 2 engines without any kind of problem, what consumption do their engines have?
  3. bixler13

bixler13 Member

Balance:
    107Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I would not pay that much for a power supply. Look on ebay for cheap server power supplies. I have a very similar setup to yours and am running these power supplies. They are under 30 dollars each and you could likely get away with just one. Each one will get you 900 watts at 12v. If you need more power you can run two in parallel using the load sharing pin.
  4. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    The source of the link brand 1200w I think it's more than enough
  5. Mike Stuart

Mike Stuart Member

Balance:
    383Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you. I ordered this PSU. If I need more Ill order another.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Stuart

Mike Stuart Member

Balance:
    383Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I just read through your build. Did you get the resistors sorted out, are you still using the rectifier? I'm having a hard time sorting this part out in my head, im a mechanical guy not an electrician.
  7. bixler13

bixler13 Member

Balance:
    107Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I am using both a rectifier and the resistors. I have 4 6 ohm resistors in parallel to get 1.5 ohms for each Sabertooth resistor output. This gets me a 1.5 ohm resistor for each output which at 12v will put out 8 amps which is the maximum the Sabertooth can output through each resistor output.

I=V/R

8 amps = 12v / 1.5 ohm

I am doing this as well as running a single bridge rectifier (50a) for both power supplies. I am running it so that reverse polarity is protected, and might change this so that I can double the current capacity. I can do that or I can run one of them for each power supply and put a heatsink on them. Either way I am happy with this solution as it is protecting the power supplies and not switching them off while in use.
  8. Mike Stuart

Mike Stuart Member

Balance:
    383Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you again for the help, I think (hope) I have it sorted out.

• Like Like x 1