1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Good Motors for 6DOF project

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Kamil_b, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Kamil_b

Kamil_b New Member

Balance:
    153Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Hello everyone, i am reading for a long time posts and internet, and i still have question,

i am planning to use 6 DOF platform, but i am not sure that should i use motors that i can buy ( 55Nm, 8.5A, 150W and 28 RPM ) with the arm 100mm - will it be enough ?

i can calculate, that it will be able to handle over 55kg per motor, so it will be over 300 kg, but i can not still find information what is the load of every motor with non linear moves (not up/down, but rotation) let's say, that we can handle 300 kg with all motors, what will be the max load on non horizontal position of platform ?
    I hope You understand what i am thinking about :)

best regards
    Kamil
  2. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    To slow really you want towards at least 60-70rpm and they are too low power you need bigger motors than that to be honest.
  3. Kamil_b

Kamil_b New Member

Balance:
    153Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Thank you @SilentChill

i know that this 300kg platform is too much overcalculated, so, let's say that it will be max 200kg,

what motors can You recommend for 6DOF, i feel that is very basic question, i am programmer and this physics/mechanic part is most tricky for me.

what minimum Nm, Watt and RPM is needed in case of platform up to 200kg.
    is the Gear Motor better than linear acutator based on step motor ?

Kamil
  4. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Linear is better in my opinion and if you go for linear I would look at getting 24v motors something like the AmpFlow
    https://www.rapidonline.com/ampflow-e30-150-3-24v-motor-37-0311
    or if you can afford them these
    https://www.rapidonline.com/ampflow-e30-400-3-24v-motor-37-0281

Or if you want to do worm gear 6DOF I would look for 24v motors again around 150w-250w with a rpm of like I said about 60-100rpm mark
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kamil_b

Kamil_b New Member

Balance:
    153Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Great, i will take e30-400 then , thank You again man,

i plan to use ball screw 20x5 - do You think it will be ok ?

and one more question : this motor got 5700 RPM, it equals 95 per second, with 20x5 i calculate that it will be able to make 475mm /s on the screw, so should i use here some gear with ratio for example 3:1 to make this movement speed smaller and get more Nm, or maybe use 20x4 ball screw for example, or just maybe leave it as it is ?

Kamil
  6. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    With a 2005 ballscrew you get over 100kgf @ peak eff. from a E30-400
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kamil_b

Kamil_b New Member

Balance:
    153Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Thanks, i already buy 6 pieces of this motors :) when they arrive i will go further with creating screw drive for using 20x05 ballscrew, if You have any good solutions or advices i will be glad,

thanks again,
    Kamil
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thomas Luzat

Thomas Luzat New Member

Web developer
    Balance:
    56Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I got some questions about that:
    1. How does one arrive at the value of >100 kgf?
    2. Does 100 kgf mean that one motor could accelerate a 100kg platform at 1 G? Assuming that, 6 could accelerate 200kg at 3 G, but working against gravity resulting in 2 G effectively?
    Thanks!
  9. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    1 Is calculated from Ampflow motor diagram.
    2 youre right
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kamil_b

Kamil_b New Member

Balance:
    153Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    what about Nm of the motors ? - does it matter ?

i just realized how much harder will be to build linear motors with ballscrew, so i decided to back to beginning and as a first project make something based on worm gears,
    maybe have You got guys some favourites worm gear motors that i could buy for 6DOF car / flying simulator , and what arm lenght for it will be optimal ?
  11. Thomas Luzat

Thomas Luzat New Member

Web developer
    Balance:
    56Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Torque (Nm) is important and correlates with output wattage. The formula is: P = τ ω with P [W] being the output power, τ [Nm] the torque and ω [rad/s] the angular speed. Assume a motor outputting 200W with 60rpm, then you get (with converting rpm to rad/s):

τ = 200W / 60rpm = 200W / ((60 * 2π / 60) rad/s) = 200W / (2π rad/s) = 31.831... Nm.

If you've got two motors of similar output power and at same speed, they do have the same torque. So, it's fine to know one of each. Output power is obviously always somewhat lower than consumed power.

When dimensioning the arms you will have to consider that for double/half the length of an arm, you will need twice/half as much power to achieve the same rotational speed (which, because of arm length, will of course result in double/half the movement, too). I would look at other projects and calculate their ratio arm length/power and try to go for similar values. If you or your platform weigh a lot, increase required power (or decrease arm length) by that factor. If low, decrease (increase) a bit. It may be helpful to allow variable arm lengths (use longer arms with multiple possible joint attachmnents) until you find a decent setup.
  12. coolfish206

coolfish206 New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hope you succeed