1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

First Motion Sim - 2DOF Seat Mover With DIY Peripherals

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by CBC_North, Jul 10, 2018.

1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    SMC3 Arduino 3DOF Motor Driver and Windows Utilities
  2. CBC_North

CBC_North Member

Computer Engineer
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for taking the time to reply in the other thread.

After getting my sim working today with simtools and live for speed I decided I needed to ditch the monster motos and go with a sabertooth. The sim worked great... when it worked at all. Multiple times the drivers stopped responding until I performed the workaround manually in the SMC3 utility to get them moving again.

Not too big of a hit as the drivers were pretty cheap from china but I know that if the sim doesn't "just work" when it's finished I won't use it half as much. Kind of crappy as the whole layout of my sim is symmetrical and based on having two separate drivers. moving to a single is going to botch up the wire routing. Oh well...

The only store in Canada that sells sabertooth drivers (robotshop.ca) happens to have an ebay storefront and today ebay has a 15% off everything coupon so I pulled the trigger on it tonight. I've got to re-fabricate part of my u-joint anyways which will take at least a week so the shipping time for the driver won't be a big deal.

On a positive note, those 50:1 motors can really throw you around when you turn them up.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The model Sabertooth that you are going to use may affect some of your settings.
    By that I mean if you went with a 2X25 V2 it has a different baud rate than the other Sabertooths like the more common 2X30's.

I think it only affects the baud rate setting in your sketch's Arduino code and that is where the 2X25 is the oddball version as it uses 38,400 as max baud rate .
  4. CBC_North

CBC_North Member

Computer Engineer
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to use the 2x32. I've got to read through the large thread here on the sabertooth's but it seems a lot of others have used this one with success.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CBC_North

CBC_North Member

Computer Engineer
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  7. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Any updates on your motion rig?

Would love to see or hear about the finished result.
  8. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Not really. I had to wait for a replacement gearbox which I only got last week and now I'm still setting up game profiles or trying to.
    I have also got it in bits to re-grease my CV joint which has some play and that is being amplified by the motion.
    I'm just assuming that when I welded the joint to the mountings that heat has melted what grease was inside, but I have another few spares if I need another one.
    Once that is fixed it will going up for sale as I am done with sims, time for my next project whatever that maybe.
  9. CBC_North

CBC_North Member

Computer Engineer
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Just got it working today. Was waiting on an bridge rectifier which I'm using as a massive diode to prevent the regenerative braking current from tripping the protection on my power supplies. They still can't do 100% power but at 50% they seem to work fine. Honestly, 50% seems to be fine in vr. Any more may actually be uncomfortable. I'm also testing in Dirt Rally which is likely to be the worst case that I'll ever put the simulator through.

I'm going to keep playing with it over the weekend and hopefully get some good video at which point I'll update with pictures, video and electrical diagrams.

After that there's only two other things to finish:
    -Test the bass shakers working in tandem with the motion. (They were working last time I tried so this should be easy)
    -Fix my DIY throttle pedal. The spring tension I have it set up with is too light for the load cell. The output has poor resolution and is really wonky. I'm going to move to a potentiometer for the throttle only.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    That's great news, glad to hear you've got it rockin'!!!
    I agree that less is more when in VR, or even just with a 2D monitor as well.
    On YouTube I see all these videos of people with crazy wild movements, and knowing what I know now, I can't help but feel that it would be more distracting that immersive.

Still loving mine, I found a great deal on DiRT Rally 2.0 ($41 CAD), so I'm looking forward to playing it next Tuesday with motion + TrackIR....and then in VR once they add it during the Summer.

Looking forward to seeing the pic's/video's & schematics of your rig. :popcorn
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CBC_North

CBC_North Member

Computer Engineer
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Finally got around to taking the video and editing it. The editing portion was a little more work than I thought it would be. Simulator is fully working now and in its final resting place in my vr mancave. Really loving it so far. Still some small things to do:
    • Fix the backlash I have in the way I connect the through-shaft to the motor output
    • Give the steering wheel some way to adjust front to back.
    • Get the soft start working on SMC3 (not working for some reason so when I power it on it's a little jarring)
    • Maybe an F1 or GT3 wheel?
    Well anyways, here's the video:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Motors need power before the arduino is powered on or reset to assure it works properly.
  13. CBC_North

CBC_North Member

Computer Engineer
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yep, and this his how I was testing it. Even in this case where I have power to the sabertooth before plugging the USB of the arduino it still violently moves to the rest position as soon as the arduino boots. I'm going to have to look if I altered the SMC sketch incorrectly.