1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SMC3 Arduino 3DOF 3-Phase AC motor Opto-Coupler shield ...

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by speedy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @speedy only just seen this thread , and had to say thanks for adding yet another great option to the Diy motion simulator builders . AC interfacing made easier cannot be a bad thing ( so long as done by someone that understands the dangers that go with AC ) this is a brilliant option for those inclined to go the AC route ..Thnaks sir ..High Praise indeed sent your way .. :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Viktor

Viktor New Member

C# Developer
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Another option to isolate the PC from the power electronics Hardware would be to use a WLAN controller Board like the ESP32. I am currently evaluating this for my Simukit SK3 rig.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Yes that's correct ... I missed that I need to add another 7414 to invert the voltage pwm ...
    The new design will be updated soon
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Awesome news. I got a lot of experience etching the last board. I ended up with a laser printer (have an even better one now) and $100 scored a Kinsten PCB exposure board (with vaccum to suck out air). Good learning curve, these AC flight simulators.

Attached Files:

5. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    If I understands well, the exit pwm of the arduino of o to 5 VDC is transformed into 0 to 10VDC for the VFD
  6. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If I understands well, the exit pwm of the arduino of o to 5 VDC is transformed into 0 to 10VDC for the VFD
  7. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    That's correct.
  8. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    bc547 is a,b, or c
    the capacitor is 1 µf 16volt?
    what is 817?
    more Precision for 7805
    thank you in advance
  9. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I do not understand, the direction vfd are in 12vdc in the usa, because me it is in 24vdc
  10. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    otherwise I do not see connecting to the VFD entry direction
  11. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    You probably have cheap vfd. Post a picture of the inputs

Vfd direction from this PCB is irrelevant to that. A 24v output on a VFD is just typical industrial voltage. 12v is typical consumer voltage. Nothing to do with countries. Infact industrial doesn't even use Voltage for signals, instrumentation uses 4-20mA current (due to no interference). 24V is just what the equipment inside industrial control panels run off (the enclosure fans, PLC etc) so that output is for a fan or something, usually.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  12. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    VFD SEW EURODRIVE MOVITRAC B MC07B0008-2B1-4-00

management works by sending 24vdc L or R
    that's why I do not understand how to connect to the AC motor card 3DOF Shield optocoupler
  13. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    The solution is to use a vfd that work's with this boards output or use something else.
  14. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    You need to use Hitachi wj-200 or something, really. Attached is something I found that worked (otherwise I am not sure why I would take a photo). Those are cheap VFD going in the bin once my Bosch Rexroth ones arrive. If you didn't spend $800 US on your vfd - they are probably crappy. You have to set D1 (on vfd) to motor FORWARD in settings.. D2 to motor REVERSE in its settings...

Set motor parameters (50hz etc)... None of this is available online, you have to learn it and it's different with all VFD.

This thread has got me at the top of my mechanical/mechatronics engineering class just from all the handling of low voltage wiring, VFD, micro controllers, interfacing, etching, software, hardware coupling, AC motors blah blah..

As you can see, 24V and 10V outputs on VFD have nothing to do with this as they are auxiliary power outputs for accessories (fans, LED indicators) . The D1 input should be set to motor forward, D2 is reverse. Ground the arduino interface to the VFDs with a wire. In VFD settings, set the motor acceleration to 100% or whatever. When Simtools sends the signal to the arduino, it'll output a voltage at the wire for that VFD which will turn the motor forwards or backwards (aka the motion platform up or down) depending on which wire is being powered. The potentiometer is wired up so in testing if it's low, the motor thinks it is down and will go up - when I turn it up it'll know it's up and go down etc. That is why you can set acceleration to 100%, because it backs the motor off as it nears the target (it compares the target value to the potentiometer value to determine this).

Again, might not be 100% but literally no one with AC motor experience has posted a guide any more detailed than what I just plastered out of my ass in regards to the wiring of this PCB to VFDs. On that note, if you are etching your own circuit board and connecting wires running consumer grade voltage and currents to industrial oriented equipment to strategically move mechanical equipment up and down based on the intimate relationship of a cheap joystick, B grade motion software and Microsoft flight simulator - but can't overcome an obstacle like connecting the coupler to the correct input on a VFD, you should really quit while you're ahead or start learning (ie. less posting on forums that are no help).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  16. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    to answer F22raptom, thank you but it was enough for me to say that it was a Hitachi WJ-200 and I would have downloaded the record, what I did and compis that DI1 came out 24v and is included the connection of the circuit board.
    to say that I work with VFD down game is an arogant, that's what I understood in the translation.
    I am an electrician in a company and I work with VFD SEW that are German and top of the top or VFD Danfoss, Leuze or Telemecanique that all must send 24V DI1 inputs ... and so 24v outlets
    Hitachi WJ-200 I did not know, now it's done.
    I thank you all for your help, so I put relays between the circuit board on the VDF to create an NPN
  17. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Can you post photos of your circuit wiring? What's the point of the external 12V supply to the etched coupler? Doesn't the arduino already get power via USB and VFD have provisions for 10V, 24V supplies built in?

Fitted bosch VFD yesterday. Closer to Hitachi wj200 (still not Hitachi) which are impossible to find in this country

Attached Files:

18. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I was a little long to answer, this is how to connect with relays for vfd or you have to put 24vdc on the DI1, looked at the attached file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  19. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have not tested yet, because my card does not react, I do not know if it is the arduino or the printed card.
    for 12vdc I do not know if we need it or not, I plugged it
  20. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Make sure you solder the wire jumper from the 12VDC negative terminal to the pad that sits between the same 12VDC terminal and 74HC14. I missed that and had problems for ages until I realized.