1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motion Sickness with VR+Moving platform

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Brass Yeti, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Brass Yeti

Brass Yeti All show - No go

Balance:
    331Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I just received my DOF Reality P3 and got it working with Project Cars. I have had a static cockpit for years and loved playing PCars2 in VR with it, however I am getting a lot of motion sickness once I experienced the 3dof movement from my new cockpit. I cant even finish a lap at Road America.

Has anyone experienced a similar transition? Does motion cancelling help? I am currently just running it off of an external sensor.
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    From my and others experience, a 'good' motion system will reduce the incidence of VR sickness. But a 'bad' motion system can actually make it worse. A 'good' motion system will move your head (inner ear) fast and accurately to track/mimic what is being seen through the VR headset - yes motion cancellation can help. A 'Bad' motion system will not do this - even a incorrect roll center can effect some people. Not Everyone has the same threshold, but you can train yourself to increase this threshold.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I would try reducing the amount of movement, especially were pitch and roll is being use to simulate surge and Sway and see if this helps. As your body then becomes more conditioned, you can slowly increase it back up. Baby steps - short stints, or your body will relate your rig/VR headset to poison.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    something that works in my experience is being able to see the horizon - if you feel sick on a boat make sure you can see the horizon and the effects go away

does your game have a view where you can see the horizon ?
  5. Brass Yeti

Brass Yeti All show - No go

Balance:
    331Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I removed sway and surge and I think it helped. Good idea. Makes sense since its a 3dof machine trying to simulate a 6 dof machine
  6. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Suggestion for car racing , short and synchronized motion cues are the only way to avoid motion sickness with VR.
    And as low latency is possible!

Thanks
    Thanos
  7. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,000Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    hello where buy this linear actuator?
    thanks
  8. Javo5

Javo5 Active Member

Balance:
    293Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I have a DIY 2DOF, with quick and short movements. Less motion sickness than the static cockpit