1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY 6DOF - father and son project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Krotar, Dec 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Krotar

Krotar New Member

Balance:
    150Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Hey all,

Since discovering this community 3 weeks ago I have been scouring all the posts to get as much info as possible. The community got me triggered to work on my own motion simulator.

Me and my father are planning to build a 6DOF motion simulator where we will try to realise the following build

On the forum I have found that @Gregory Wood has a similar ‘low footprint’ build that he documented on https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...ct-and-no-linear-actuators-220v-servos.11839/

Some background about us: I’m active as an IT project manager and doing DIY projects is my way of staying in touch with my development roots. Just finished my home automation Jarvis (a NodeJS server on a Raspberry PI that controls everything through KNX). My dad used to build race buggies in his childhood.

We’ll be trying to post a weekly update as we are aiming to have a working build within 4 months (might be tight but always good to have a deadline ;))

Just like the other posts we would love to get the community involved and document a lot of the steps so that others can also get new information.

Week 1
    Ordered an Arduino getting started kit to learn the basics of Arduino, electronics and boards. From my dad’s 20 year old RC helicopter we salvaged the servo’s to see if we can make a prove a concept just like @hooshang at https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/6dof-platform-with-small-dc-motors.5634/

First step was of course understanding Arduino and controlling some servo’s:

We’ll now be looking at the SimTools software and building a POC 6DOF simulator just like @hooshang
    • Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. Krotar

Krotar New Member

Balance:
    150Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Week 2
    Finished the base for the prototype, tomorrow we'll be working on the platform that is connected with the base.
    Ordered some extra Arduino's so once those arrive I can start experimenting with the software.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Krotar

Krotar New Member

Balance:
    150Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Week 2
    Platform has been added, now I got to wait on the delivery of the extra Arduino's ;)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Krotar

Krotar New Member

Balance:
    150Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Took me a while to figure out the software and edit an existing Arduino project so I can control 6 servo's but I finally got it working ;)

• Like Like x 7
  5. cazsan

cazsan Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Good job so far,
    This little version of the cockpit looks to be concrete already.
  6. sam poole

sam poole Active Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Looking at the movements it looks like you're using yaw instead of traction and the sway should be reversed I think but could be wrong but great little build
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  7. Krotar

Krotar New Member

Balance:
    150Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it tomorrow.
    The servo's are also 20+ years old, they have a huge delay. For example: the servo that comes with the Arduino starters kit is about 3 times as fast.