1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

For Raceray: some iRacing Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Leedo, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Leedo

Leedo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is certainly not a complete list, just some thoughts/impressions.

My bias: I like iRacing very much, however I do understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea. Also, it seems to be the perfect sim for motion, because of the detailed tracks.

Some Pros:

Tracks:
    I've never driven on a real track before, but iRacing's tracks have bumps, camber changes etc., that definitely affect the car

Generally very clean, courteous racers--also very competitive

With a FF wheel you can feel just about every bump, camber change etc.

Physics:
    Don't know since I don't race for real, but for the virtual car I drive the most (Star Mazda), they feel great

Lots of helpful tips, setups, replays and discussion on the forums

Safety Rating:
    You need to not wreck too much to move up to faster cars, and it won't happen overnight but it's certainly achievable. It's a 'no-fault' system, and you do sometimes get penalized for someone else's mistake (and sometimes others get penalized for your mistake!).

The developers seem to listen to feedback from users

Every 12 weeks there's an update and it takes about 3 clicks to download and install it

You can practice with other racers on open practice servers

Some Cons:

Tire Model is a work in progress. Not sure on this, but my guess is that most people make setups based on handling as much or more than tire temps.

No top level open-wheeler:
    Currently the fastest open-wheel car is the Star Mazda. No news currently on a modern F1 car--there is the Lotus 79 F1 rumored to be coming out fairly soon.

No tire smoke from other cars

No leagues--this is planned but I don't think there's a firm date (not sure)

More expensive than other sims

No towing/damage repair

Not enough non-US content:
    Currently lots of US cars and tracks, some non-US stuff coming

Camera positions are hardwired, and while you can 'pause' a camera position as it moves, you can't move it anywhere you want

No sector times

Could be pro or con:

Races at scheduled times:
    Each series has races at specific times, more often for lower level series and less often for higher level series

Good threads to get more info (pro and con) and probably answer any question:
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=334237
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=334216

iRacing Rumors--this is kinda fun to read:
    http://www.iracingworld.com/_iRacing-Wh ... 57752.html
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi Leedo,

thank you very much for the summary :) I think the pros are very comparable to rFactor,. Most of your cons do not exist in rFactor. Also the render engine looks very similar.

Maybe you already know that video? http://www.virtualr.net/iracing-vs-rfac ... omparison/

I am actually very terse, no time to write all i think...but i thank you very much for your efforts. :cheers:

regards
    René
  3. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Maybe take a look at the little and big bumps which is more interesting that if the corner is the same in both, especially for motion sim guys. Since GPS is cheap an Bobs track builder can import them its not that hard to get a real accurate track into rfactor with some effort.
    Anyway no bashing or so, but i only went 3 times back to rfactor for league races, and it felt dead. I was a Rfactor Fanboy for sure.
  4. Leedo

Leedo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome--hope the pros/cons were helpful. :cheers:

Attached Files: