1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

AMC1280USB Motion Simulator Controller

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Thanos, Jul 6, 2017.

1. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @hexpod really appreciate the info , so will give that a try now, I did try to run BFF with my Barebones AMC and version 3.5 of AMC update but found their was no communication between amc and BFF ( LCD did not Show message "Receiving Motion data " so went back to V2.4 7b and got Communication every time but Could not trust actuator so disconnected Sabertooth Power..

silly as it seems, to me it appears that the signal routing to switch to the 12Bit ADC output has been messed up somehow ( this was an issue i had with this PCB and was sent back to Thanos for investigation, he sorted it and so the Interface Came back working ( massive thanks to @Thanos big relief on my part, and have to say i've not had any issues since then, that is until I did the firmware update , and its as though its recreated the original Problem ?

will Email Thanos as well in case this is a bug ,, other than @SeatTime mentioning this I cant think of another post that highlighted this potential issue ..

I Could be wrong ( most probably am) so will try your suggestion .
  2. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Beside your specific issue with your sabertooths config, you have to understand that FW3.5 and his new FF FF ID format works only once heXpod or BFF provides the support for it.

Use the new Last BFF or heXpod version which supports it otherwise there will be no software/AMC communication.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Once again
    First load the FW3.5 and check with the AMC buttons if there is a coherent response...

If yes, update your motion software in order to establish the communication.

You will be ready to go.
  4. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cheers @hexpod tried both options and all indication are PCB issue ,, I can easily load both firmware version 2.4 and 3.5 successfully but the symptoms are the same .... the Analog Out Voltages max out at 3.2V so Fully Clockwise = oV and Full Anticlockwise = Max 3.2Volts

Checked with Scope and DVM ,, Im sure this should range from 0 to 4.5 - 5V which it did before Firmware update ... I now notice that when I alter the Feedback Pot the Status LED on the AMC128USB goes from Bright Blue to Very Dim as the pot value changes ( cant remember seeing that before so im thinking Signal routing Clash internally in AMC which was triggered asa result of Firmware update ... Just my opinion ....but something def screwy occurred during changes to firmware .... I have been wrong before so take my Observation as to the likely cause with a pinch of salt :)

The annoying thing was / is, that the previous version hardware/software/wiring was fine ,, I verified the Other hardware elements work as individual items , Problem surfaced whan i changed the firmware ( this did not require any change to the working setup other than re-checking the parameters on the AMC menu ) and the only issue I can currently identify is the measured wrong Voltages at the Analog Out on the AMC .and the dimming Status LED D2 on the AMC which im taking to be an indicator of the internal fault condition .

Bear with me guys and i'll post whatever info I come across regarding this ..

Configuration as it stands is AMC128USB - Sabertooth 2X60 - Encoder2Pos Interface & Ians BFF 6DOF software Running FSX as test Simulation
  5. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Ok, checked against the Firmware V2.4 rev7b and there is indeed missing code for the 12bit unidirectional handling, I'm patching things together and testing that output type. I'll have a new beta version that should work as before, soon available here.

Sorry for the inconvenience, i have no way of testing all possible modes of operations sometimes. I don't have any driver that has unidirectional input (like sabertooth) and i have to relay on feedback for that mode of operation. I just used a reported good older version firmware to implement the new stable serial communications.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    I assume you've tried the 8bit seting with 8bit wireing. Damn, there must be a working setting as SeatTime has managed with his sabertooths.

As last, I would try to re-select your PID in the AMC?

I would do it before waiting for a clear tutorial from @Thanos.
  7. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys Many thanks for looking into this for me / and other potential users , Posted 2 Clips on You tube to try to show the issue im facing , No reflection on the Interface as I realise the more people using this adaptable Controller then Thanos will get the issue Sorted as is the case .. mega Thanks @Thanos & @hexpod for taking the time to help get this sorted

Happy New Year Crew

Just read Your Post Thanos So im good with Waiting for the new Update to correct this Your A Star sir Cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Good Buddy really appreciate this, and Know full well your busy , For me the main thing is, you have a possible handle on my finding so with that knowledge i'll wait till you get a chance to look into this ( more than I could ask for ) ...

I did note that Having Reverted back to V2.4 7b the Analog out was still not right ( ref videos) so Hope im have not led you on a goose chase
    trying to describe my situation with the PCB .
  9. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I
    I gave up because of no help no manual and just an absolute nightmare to get running.

God knows how many times i have asked for limit kill switch with no reply.

The AMC has been sitting gathering dust for over a year I think

Edit: goodluck and hope you get somewhere with it matey
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cheers @SilentChill mate this thing has been mothballed for so long it lik starting all over again and then some , The mechanics are sound so its software and interfacing and making sure the dam actuator stay in range during testing LOL ,,, I had forgotten just how fast and powerful these puppies were/are so I really need to be on safe side and get back to understanding the system .. Scared bejesus outta me as Mr be wary of inertia and speed remembered why he used to give out that advice LOL..
    The old AMC still works But got this bee in my bonnet about getting the new barebones Implemented 1st with BFF then with Simtools V2.3 and once the cash is available Hexpod will give me the Options that BFF doesn't ...

Yep he's back and rambling again LOL but hey that's a compensation thing .. Cheers matey ( Inherited that phrase from you im sure )
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gabor Pittner

Gabor Pittner Active Member

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    My setup behaves almost the same like wannabeaflyer2 told us. Absolutely unlogical, so I can't understand what happens. I guessed I have something GND connection problem but I can't find it. I use 12V server PSU's in serial chain wiring to have 24V every sabertooth controller. I can not connect them to GND.
    But its behavior is very similar to GND problem.
    I made a short video to show you this very strange situation , motors are not stop doing that crasy moving when I disconnect AMC board. It seems like the control voltage does not stop working. Only when I disconnect the sabertooth wires. It doesn't matter if settings are 8bit or 12bit analog PWM output.
  12. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @Gabor Pittner . one thing I became aware of whilst trying to find out what was wrong with my system is that if there is no signal control on the sabertooth then it will go loopy ( highly tech term ) its the equivalent of leaving S1 & S2 as floating and Sabertooth does not like that ..

my understanding is that without a set control voltage at these inputs , then the motors connected will just run non stop cw or ccw until with any luck they trip a limit switch and stop before Doing major damage they must not be left floating ,, so if the appropriate signal is not being routed to the Analog out then this could explain the runaway actuators

Thanos is looking at the code firmware for us so once he's ready we should get an update to fix this issue
  13. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I know when sabertooth gets 2.5V control voltage motors stop, when its 0v they run full speed, and at 5v they run full speed in opposit direction. But when I unplug USB from AMC board it does not get power so I expect to motors start run continuously because control voltage is off. But they change direction randomly as they did it before. It seems somehow sabertooth gets control voltage but its impossible. AMC board can get power from USB only.
  14. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @Gabor Pittner I may be wrong but once the AMC is disconnected then the sabertooth terminals S1 & S2 will be floating and so will pick up noise or whatever rubbish signal it picks up..

From what I saw in the video I believe that the condition shown is indicative of Floating input therefore random motor Operation / Direction ... This is normal for sabertooths I believe which is why there must be a control signal Preferably 2.5Vdc at startup / Initialisation ..

if you try this experiment with say a small standalone DC motor connected to the Sabertooth and see what happens as soon as you power it up ... ( my experience say it will spin erratically dependant on noise seen at S1 & S2 also note that without a solid signal on either of these terminals they are liable to Cross talk ie they may control both motors in unison or both Motor do there own thing ..

If im stating stuff you already know then scrap this info LOL did not mean to point out what you may already have know :)
  15. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    You could be right, I dont think this behavior comes from AMC board as it stays power off. ;)
    I just try to find out what happens. My biggest problem is to rolling back fw2.4 does not solve the problem. So now I have an unusable board. I really hope Thanos can cook a new firmware to get this nightmare out.
    But now Im affraid I wont trust in this board. Luckily I have not assembled the rods and platform on the motors arms yet or something could crash.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  16. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi again @Gabor Pittner some light at the end of the tunnel, so don't give up just yet . as mentioned my AMC128USb controller exhibited this issue way back in November when I could not get the Encoder2Pos interface running with the AMC , I sent it back to @Thanos for investigation and at the time he reported it as No Fault Found :-( so I figured I must have damaged it some how ( Bummer ) anyways long story Short he returned the Board and maybe updated the firmware version but whatever he did, all of a sudden it was working Great and I was a happy Chappy ,

all was Good i could setup and test the Encoder2pos interface ( several off them actually ) and check that the new AMC ran when connected to BFF and FSX. The AMC lcd showed "Recieving Motion data " and BFF responed to motion cues from fxs and sent them to the test actuator , so looking promising till I decided to to the V3.5 firmware update , As Thanos now understands the issue were both seeing he will sort it for us , it may take a little while , but he will sort it ... @SeatTime uses the same config to an extent, so maybe he can offer some , as im sure he too hit this same scenario ( just cant remember which post to quote) and got his setup working ..

Cheers Guys
  17. iamcanadian2

iamcanadian2 Member

floating docks
    Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hey I don't know if this will help but I tried the Sabertooth 2X25 and I had bad erratic movements too also with the MDO4 ,( I now am using just MDO4s ) I have 10k pot linear actuators @24v but I had a bad voltage leak from them. I used my multi meter ground on the 24 Neg side of the Power supply (Batteries) and positive from the meter to the frame or cockpit anywhere really, and I had anywhere from 0-24+ volts running through it. When I disconnected the AMC from the PC, 0 Volts. I had to rubber mount- completely isolate the Actuators , all is good now. It was only 1 that leaked But i did all 3 all over again , It really caused me a lot of grief.
  18. Gilberto Marques

Gilberto Marques New Member

Balance:
    - 513Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I have 3 WEG Cfw08 frequency inverters, could I switch over to Cfw10 and use the same configuration and parameters?
  19. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    And that is why its not worth even trying in my case , it just cements how bad it is
  20. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @Thanos and @hexpod : Is AMC1280USB board aplicable to control sabertooth in packet serial mode like SMC3-SPS one time? Is there a chance that it can work safely? I don't dare to use it in analog mode control anymore. :(