1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

12v or 24v motor ,which one is the best?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Meawto, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Meawto

Meawto Sorry for bad English ;'(

Balance:
    - 336Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    i had completed my 2dof project with UNO & MM (SMC3) its work fine, but its has a little high temperature
    and i want to make a new one for my friend with 24v motor and IBT-2 drivers

i want to know, dose IBT-2 has any problem with temperature ? and why 12v motor is more popular than 24v ?
    i think 24v motor is use less amps and it will make more low temperature

thanks.(sorry for bad english)

2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    doubling the Voltage means half current. 24V motors are selden and mostly more expensive. Same thing with the motor drivers. I doubt if the ibt-2 will handle 24V without any issues, but this is an assuming, not confirmed by me.
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    The only 24VDC driver that I would recommend is the Sabertooth. As for motors, I tried to go 24V but the motor that I had purchased for load testing, was obsolete when I tried to order more. Unfortunately I could get nothing close to the specifications that I wanted for a reasonable price.
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    the cheaper vnh5019 is capable of handling 24V but more limited in handling current peaks
  5. Meawto

Meawto Sorry for bad English ;'(

Balance:
    - 336Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  6. Micheal

Micheal New Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi all,

sorry to revive an old thread, but I was also looking at buying the motion dynamics motors but not sure whether to go with the 12v or 24v.

From what I can tell, there's no real difference in the motors performance except that the 24v might not heat up as much due to half the current draw. But there is more equipment available for the 12v motors over the 24v?

Other than this is the any other advantage going one way or another?

Thanks for help.
  7. BrazilianGuy

BrazilianGuy eternal apprentice

Balance:
    36Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hi Micheal,

I am also new here, so I will answer based on my knowledge as an electrical engineer rather than experience with the drivers. So keep in mind that not all theory applies really nice in practice...

I was also looking for motors for my build, and, for me, I would use 48V or 96V motors if possible. Just because they draw less current. And that is the only tradeoff when thinking in the theory part. More voltage = less current = less heating

In Alibaba or other sites it seem nowadays quite easy to find 24V motors to buy. There are even some 36V and 48V.
    The big issue is that you won't find easily the parts to drive a supply those motors.

Most motor drivers for ardruino, like the monster motor, do not work for 24V. I found this one from seeedstudio that could be a cheap option. But I didn't test it and did not see anyone using it still.

https://m.seeedstudio.com/productDetail/3014

Next issue: power supplies. Here 12V cleary dominates. If you look, it's not hard to find 24v, but they are significantly more expensive. There are even some post in the FAQ area of people modding two 12v supplies for 24V because that was cheaper than buying one decent 24V supply.

In my humble opinion, going for 12V with a better driver is the safest option.
    However , if you want to experiment, you could go for 24V. Just keep in mind that you might need to test a supply or a driver that no one tested before if you want to keep things cheap, what could be risky (but maybe lots fun and interesting for the others).

People, please correct me if in wrong in this. Because, as I said, I am also new here.

Best regards,
    BrazilianGuy
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Long story short: I recommend the 24V route.

Drivers: Sabertooths are supporting up tp 36V.
    Power Supplies: Switching Power Supplies (expensive) or 12V server power supplies (from eBay) connected in series (->24V). Please keep in mind that there are a lot of things you should pay attention (220V power supplies can kill you if you do not know what to do)
  9. Micheal

Micheal New Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate it

I did find this 24v power supply:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-AC-...a4606a41b:m:mmMxRsJmUbc-dYrB1b9PhQw:rk:7:pf:0

Its for LED strips so I may have to add some extra cooling.

Could I use the jrk G2 24x13? The motors are only 200w so it should only be 8.3A required. The only reason I say that is from what I understand the jrks are easier to setup?

I'm a rookie when it comes to these sorts of things
  10. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hi, 200 W 24 V dc gearmotor stalled engines could even reach 30 A. You could use a bts7960 43A 45V driver. Power supplies are good for LEDs with many amps, in parallel with 2x12V batteries,
    micma
  11. Goatboy

Goatboy Member

Balance:
    386Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Many people run the 200w 12v motion dynamics with the older JRK12v12, using sufficient cooling. Depending on the setup of your rig I don't see why what you've listed wouldn't work, personally I'd get the JRK 24v21 though. Unless someone else has had a different experience with the JRK G2 24x13 and can share their experiences, but it seems there isn't as much info being shared about the G2's/not as many people have used them. Until I grab some and get my rig going again I can't be much more help to you.

-Goat