1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Drill press technique question

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by gSeat, Dec 12, 2018.

1. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    At store looking at "10 inch press." There is no way a bit would make it through even 3 inches (yeah i want metric too..~76mm), curious how to address this in a safe and efficient manner.

Is raising the table and reclamping the only option other than finding a press with a longer travel?

I could do this same travel with a wooden jig and at this point don't see the value in buying at press.

Obviously not a metal or woodworker, and if this is the norm with bench presses, fine, just curious before going forward and deciding to even get such a press.

Like the right tool for the job and would rather pay 2x as much to clamp once and drill once for a single whole through multiple pieces.

Maybe misunderstanding something :) drillpress.png
  2. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    The reason I don't see the value of a press if this is normal is that there would be error introduced with reclamping without tedium, even with the first holes lined up or with a bolt in them, there would be error introduced....maybe just precisely measure every piece of work too? That doesn't seem right, maybe it is, cheers...Would like to have an efficient workflow have most parts purchased and feel silly for not even understanding at least "one of the right tools for the job," yet that should be a prerequisite. :) :) :)
  3. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    There is no guanrantee of accuracy when you place two pieces on top of each other unless you physically bolt them together before drilling (The drill exits the first piece and then creates an "exit wound" which can cause the second piece to move slightly, but not always). Working with machinists, I have never seen them place one piece atop another to gain accuracy. I have seen drill jigs (a setup of walls around your piece that do not allow it to move out of bounds) setup for repeated accuracy though. Accuracy is also attained from drill presses with no slop in the gear train, so don't buy cheap if you go with that decision.

What material are you drilling? If it is aluminium/steel then a set of digital calipers, a set square and a good quality center punch is all you need. If you are drilling wood then definately setup a drill jig.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Daguru

Daguru Rally drivers do it in the Dirt

Kitchen installer
    Balance:
    452Coins
    Ratings:
    +631 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Ive always measured and then used a center punch on steel never let me down.
  5. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Big thank you @Alexey and @Daguru
    Safety #1 here, then accuracy, then efficiency, appreciate the education!

Thank you, this shows my ignorance and concern for safety...:thumbs

This, exactly is what I've done throughout life when wanting a deep drilling depth and always found it tedious...I guess I thought there had to be a better way.

LOL :) Guess those $1k+ drill presses are the answer :grin

Planning aluminum, have all those tools, will use as you stated (unless someone else chimes in), and in the past...was just hoping for a different method than last time I did a project.

@Daguru