1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom DIY 3dof Dbox Style Rig with 4 x 750 Watt Linear Actuators 100 mm

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ringorumble, May 10, 2018.

1. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Thanks very much, I've since discover lots of stepper motor threads so I've got a LOT to read up on. Much appreciated
  2. jimbraj

jimbraj New Member

Balance:
    116Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK

what size profile extrusion are you using for your rig base?
  3. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
  4. DotComRich

DotComRich Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    How much filament is required to complete all the 3D printing. Trying to decide if buying a 3D printer plus filament is the better option over outsourcing it.
  5. Ringorumble

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
  6. DotComRich

DotComRich Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    Also, if I wanted to make mine 150mm stroke instead of 100m would it just be a matter of buying a longer hollow shaft and ball screw with a longer housing, then tweaking the settings a bit to allow for more travel? Or would there be a lot more involved with that?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  8. simrushcn

simrushcn New Member

Balance:
    189Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I just built my own button box in 2 days. Not nearly at this level, but I enjoyed this video. I used some switches I bought from radio shack and a joystick encoder off of amazon. Bought a wood box from a craft store for $2 and some carbon fiber wrap off amazon for $10. Super fun project. Thanks Guys for another great video.

回复
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Ringorumble

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    I heard it should work, but we are 220v so not able to proof :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0

Great fast movements in the last section of the rollercoaster
    • Like Like x 3
  11. GR88

GR88 Member

M.E Student
    Balance:
    644Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Anyone find any alternatives to the German extrusion?
  12. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    There no real alternative, guys who tried another extrusion all say they wish the didn't
  13. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    This platform is growing pretty fast and the next step is a group buy that's being organised for a SFX100 shield, eliminating all the arduino wiring and making the electrical installation of the SFX100 plug and play

• Like Like x 1
  14. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    I still cant get over the high pitch whine coming from the drivers and engines. Its to the point that my seat time has shrunk almost to none as you cant run it with anyone else around. I still cant recommend it and the conversation was shut down in the discord and I was told that if I spoke of it anymore that I would be kicked from the discord. Thats the place they are sharing the limited plugins. I dont think anyone is actually working on plugins over there. I also believe this is a money play for the software which is why they wont host the files on git or any other site rather than the discord. There was another member mascot who was given the be quiet treatment or else. Its an obvious issue they are trying to silence with threats of banishment. While we are wiring 220v they are trying to use the excuse of safety in messing with the driver which is complete bullshit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    I read about you're problem @shannonb1, but because i'm not affected i did not really follow it. So far there might a small percentage of users that are bothered by this high pitch noise. I have not experienced it myself, so i really can't comment on it.
    All i know is that all sim motion gear makes quite some noise, from buttkickers to steering wheels, motion simulators and even my brand new GS-5 is noisy. If you are sensative to the SFX100 high pitch tone, you might want to sell yours, i'm pretty sure there's more than enough interest.

Or you could wait untill you are a old enough, like me to hear it anyway. :)
  16. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the brilliant solution but no, just as I said over on the discord, I have made the time investment and financial investment at this time. I have all of these items and none match the maddening sound of the high pitch squeal. I can hear it in every video posted of the device.

Ironically after this post here yesterday they did allow the conversation to once again happen but not in its own thread. I stand by my statement that I do not support anyone else going this road until they properly adress and and assert my feeling that trying to silence the thread was a threat to the potential income and not for the safety of the community.

I believe this needs to be a primary focus if they plan to continue to market this. The amount of people complain in regards to this is larger than heard on the discord because the discord is where the support is, its where the files are....and if you speak out of line you will lose access to that and its clear that this wasnt an invited topic they tried to silence so I believe there is fear to be openly bothered by it. plus you have the fan boys that know they hear it but just "wear headphones!"...

I look back to when they were resistant to working with this group and our huge community and support. They dont want to play nice with us here, there is a reason. $. There is also a reason they wrote a timed clause into the software but made no real mention of it when setting the donation to upgrade the software,..my opinions of course but im putting it all together....

the software support over there is very limited...I believe 1 plugin has been added since November......Forza 4......#shakeshead.....didnt see anyone ask for that on the requests page but there are a ton of others....guess where they do exist!....here......Now I get the well if you want a plugin make one....and to that I have just finished an intro to c# course and made a few terminal apps and started my first windowed app....but im still new to c# so I cant help much but I do want to be a part of the solution and not just the problem....

We need one of our heros here to get this system working with Simtools so I can come back home...
  17. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I just looked up the GS-5 again yesterday and saw that they are now for sale.

For those of you that don't want to wait until you get old and lose your hearing to purchase a top quality G-seat though and if you want one that also provides realistic side sway forces, independent heave, and crushing acceleration and braking forces as well as being quiet and extremely lightweight I will be posting an announcement before long describing my new offering. Performance exceeds that of the GS-5 but cost will be less.

If you think you want one be sure to keep an eye out for its new thread coming here soon ;).

And btw, its software is compatible with Simtools.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  18. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear you are feeling this way @shannonb1 , i really do not share your experience about the discord channel. I do understand that the high pitch noise is a dealbreaker for you. You probably have really good hearing and might experience this noise more than average.

See it as having an IPD that just falls outside of the VR headset range. I'm really not sure that i can be helped. My kids hear it to, but not as loud as you describe it.

@BlazinH That's good news and looks really promising. :thumbs
  19. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What is a real dumped is that my wife can hear it. I like to be in the same room with her but she wont come down to the arcade and chill when its on anymore, she didnt care at all about my seat mover.
  20. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Just reading through here, and I see concerns with hum/noise from the SFX-100 in a couple of builds. There's considerable discussion on a number of other forums that this is due to out-of-phase grounding between the 220V servo controller wiring and the 110V running your other equipment. This sets up ground loops that cause the hum. I'm by no-means an expert here, but the info presented on grounding issues was pretty extensive in these threads.

There's a couple of solutions to this, all involving careful tracing of wiring and grounds and ensuring correct and solid connections throughout. It's worth a bit of reading in these threads if you're suffering from this problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1