1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New 6dof Stewart platform for a school project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Robin, May 8, 2009.

1. mboRacing

mboRacing Member Gold Contributor

Automatiker
    Balance:
    - 131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hello Robin

Congratulations to your work, very well done :thbup:

I have just a little question: What is the string, sent to the SD84 on Com Port? (Would that, or is it in progress, to have a USO output like Martin done in the Profiler?)

Greetings MBO
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Robin,

This is my question too. I could adapt your serial string, or you perhaps you could make a second version that works with my AMC1.5 board that is capable of output very smooth motion for 6 RC servos. Planmix used my AMC board for his project too!!

The format of the serial string that my AMC 1.5 uses to drive RC servos is:

AB[b1][b2][b3][b4][b5][b6]

Where each b# is one byte position value (0-255) for each leg of the 6DOF model.

Regards, Thanos
  3. Robin

Robin New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. Robin

Robin New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    6dof new video

Following R-Eng advices, added surge and sway :highfive:. Still a lot of imperfections. With the F1 it's shaking a lot and very extreme but on any other car the movement are much smoother. I shall add a video soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNFkTVA8Oc

Any comments are welcome.
  5. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    looks better and better, but to be more realistic and accurate the legs could be trimmed and the longitudinal angle of 45° should be reduced.

The movements of the servos seem to be to fast when i compare them with game simulation and a real 6DOF racing simulator. When you reduce frequency and speed it´s more realistic imho.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgMQviZ ... re=related

What´s the maximum rotating resolution you get out of the servos with the SD84 controller, is it enough for smooth slowlier movements?

Edit: As you see, it is difficult enough to calculate 6DOF movements, but getting perfect fitting algorythms is the biggest challenge of all. That´s the advantage of the profiler2 software, Anytime when there should be a 6DOF plugin for the Profiler2, the algorythms can be mixed and varied comfortable only by the dialogue mask of it.

Just a few more videos and i won´t miss the music of them :eek:k: :clap:

regards
    René
  6. Robin

Robin New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello René,

first tks to have put the video of our sim on forum's header. Nice job :thbup:

I won't trim the rod because the longer they are the more freedom you get for the platform. I agree the platform rumbles a lot with the F1 but with the same settings on any other car it's much smoother and more realistic. I shall add a new video soon with a slower car. I've already reduced the heave from which come most of the shaking. I think for the F1 I should set all axis to 70% of what's they are now. Still testing so far.

Music is Bauhaus on the second vid ;)

See ya,

Robin
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I'd appreciate to see an additional vid with a slower car. Or probably a helicopter...Kruemel is going to build a hydraulic helicopter motion simulator. To see a helicopter model on your platform, would motivate him a lot for sure :cheers:

Amazing job, btw :thbup:

regards
  8. mboRacing

Automatiker
    Balance:
    - 131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hello Robin

Could you Post your *.rn2 file that you use in your second video?

Thanks a lot

mbo
  9. Robin

Robin New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't saved my Profiler config when I did the video and I have changed it since. So I will attach the latest config I have which is quite similar to the one used for the video. Along with it I've attached latest version of the software, it's almost finished. Sorry I didn't post new vids, I'll try to manage it.

Attached Files:

• 6dof.zip
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
  10. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Robin :yippiee: :yippiee: :yippiee: i have finally got my Polou baord to work with the modified software you Released ( 6DOFPolou Version ) to say i was jumping up and down like amadman was an understatment .. your software worked brilliantly, the problem was i was trying to test the polou servo board using their test software but could not get any reaction in default Mode ( jumper removed ) i knew it worked because i had tested it when i bought it . so big head scratching and countless readings of the datasheets still no luck then i decided to run it in Minssc Mode and the Bloody thing worked 1st time ??????? :blush: :blush: anyways i then took a big leap and connected to your software ...ohhh man what a buzz to see it move under your software control :happy: so the upside is i now have my baby working again thanks to you and the guys that developed your software and now am tidying up the linkages and all wiring connection ready for my 1st Video Release... Still have to learn how to drive X-sim but at least i know i have coms link and hardware sorta working ;D and just need to figure out the correct settings .. I noticed on your model you have extended the servo arms so looks like thats something that i'll have to do very soon ..just so excited that i got something to work ..on my way out now but will post pictures very soon ... what can i say guys Big thanks aint enough Ye Hah :rofl:

Attached Files:

11. mboRacing

Automatiker
    Balance:
    - 131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Parts arrived - lets build a Table 6DoF - and here is the first little Video from my Pololu 6DoF Platform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbjHE2o0cQ0
    6DoFTableSim.rn2
  12. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Damn looking cool !!! Very good arrangement and perfect camera angle :clap: But looks as rotation movements missing?

Wish i had more time to beginn a 6DOF project as well....

Btw. picture quality of youtube videos becomes a lot better recently.

regards, René
  13. mboRacing

Automatiker
    Balance:
    - 131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hello René

Yess you're right, rotating is missing. There is a problem for it: take the Yaw effect in profiler and drive a circuit that goes 360 degrees without a lot of different curves (like 10km brianza). Look what happens in result analyzer. Now take a washout and look what happens yet. Any ideas to solve this?

Thx and greets

Martin
  14. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Martin, i am a work actualy, so i cannot play with the profiler. But when you explain me what happens i can try to give support or ask someone who is well experienced in writing profiles ;)

regards
    René
  15. mboRacing

Automatiker
    Balance:
    - 131Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Here we go:

The two Image's are driven smoothli on a round circuit (just a o). First Image is without a washout, second one is with. My understand (please correct if wrong) of the Yaw in a
    Simulator is if you do a strong curve the sim wil rotate. So if we just driven the o, without doing slalom, nothing should happens. But the game value does a reset of Yaw at the one point of the 360 degrees. Must be like this, it's clear. but take a look at the version with the washout you'll se the problem is given to us...

Greets mbo

Yaw1.jpg
    Yaw2.jpg
  16. Robin

Robin New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!

I haven't posted, in a while, but I'm very glad to see everyone make so much progress!
    I had to give over the platform to my school and I won't be working on it until next year. But good news, my next year final enginering project will surely be the construction of a dynamical model of the car to give maximum realism to the platform. I will get help for teachers who have a big experience about car dynamics. So this will be very interesting I hope.
    Until then I'll still be available to answer questions about the software and to send the source code for those who want.

I think it's a very good thing people making 6dof platform cause it's the first afordable step before making a full size model.

Greetings,

Robin
  17. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Robin Just to say Gonna miss your contribution, and hope you'll still have a major parrt to play, a lot of us have been able to realalise a big step in our efforts at motion simming and it a big big thanks to the work you released and the code you made available. for many even to get to see the code was agodsend we may not all be able to improve on it but we will certainly be able to use it . seriously looking forward to playing with it once my proper X-sim PC is finally built and i can really see how x-sim and a game perform on a decent networked system ... My new PC is a Quadcore 4meg memory XFX880GTX graphic card system so hoping both X-sim And FSX will at last run better than the 10 FPS im getting at the moment :)
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thanks alot Robin, for sharing your 6DOF master GUI and and even the source code of your 6DOF algorithm with us. :cheers:

Though you stated that you wont work further on your 6DOF model until next year, I hope you will continue to visit our site frequently at least, to check if someone of us will have managed to build/afford a big 6DOF, controlled by XSim and your 6DOF master code :thbup:

Regards
    Christian
  19. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Christian,

Is the source code posted here? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks, Eric
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Talk to Robin, and you may get it by chance.

Regards