1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Cousin of OSW (Open Sim Wheel)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Sep 23, 2017.

1. The_Raging_Peacock

The_Raging_Peacock New Member

Balance:
    204Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Took a screenshot of my wheelconfig. I do use lut gen for deadzone correction... It rotates well ibt is powered on but when i plug in arduino it gets harder to turn. Thanks for the ideas guys :) I think going DD will be one of last options because there is a lot to change

Attached Files:

2. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Perhaps give a 12v power supply a go? You might find that it gives a good tradeoff between constant force and FFB effects.
  3. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    So, after a closer look at the datasheet I can see the problem.

The 74HC244D requires a 'high' input signal of about 3.5v when running at 5v. It's hard to tell exactly but look at the table below. So using the STM32 @ 3.3v signalling puts it 'out of spec' or at least close to the margin for 5v Vcc and is probably what was causing your problems. Longer and/or thinner gauge wires will make it worse again, as will having slightly higher than 5v going to them.

In theory, running the IBT_2 modules at 3v will resolve this problem when paired with the STM32.
    2018-11-14_13h07_09.png
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Guys - i use the RFR A~I-wave wheelcheck software and a Arduino Leonardo on my wheel

lots of people use the MMOS software

I have not been able to get this software to work with my wheel, does it work with the leonardo ?
  5. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    MMos FFB only works with the STM32F4 board.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    are there any other advantages to the STM32F4 board - i have one knocking about somewhere - is it worth the effort to upgrade ?
  7. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Apparently not but the Leonardo version is a few revisions older than the MMOs one - It is not obvious what changes were made but also remember even MMOs firmware is several years old and has ceased development AFAIK.

The STM board needs a very specific chip - What you have laying around might not work but the boards are only about $10.

The STMF407 chip is a beast compared to the leonardo and beats it by leaps and bounds. It's actually massive overkill for this purpose.
  8. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i got the stm discovery board out this evening, I was unable to program it last time because the usb cable was broken !

i have it programmed now

is there a stm compatible version of software later than the mmo ?
  9. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

the STM discovery board has 2 x usb connections - do both of them need to be powered for the wheel to work ?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes both need to be connected to the PC. I havent actually read into the documentation to see if you can bypass one of the connectors as one is used for data/power and the other is used for power only.
    I've used both usbs as I am lazy.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Daguru

Daguru Rally drivers do it in the Dirt

Kitchen installer
    Balance:
    452Coins
    Ratings:
    +631 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    I used both to program the board but only one to use the wheel after that.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i have programmed the board and it goes green in the mmos program
    i have set the options in setup with 360 pulses per rev

it is detected when i load up LFS
    however i do not seem to have wheel motion when i connect the encoder
    the encoder is connected to 5v and gnd and to PA0 and PA1 (this encoder has no index)

do I need pullup resistors to get a signal ?

am i doing something wrong ?
  14. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    I'm pretty sure you need pullup's. Just measure with a voltmeter on the PAx lines and slowly turn the wheel. If it's constant zero you need pullups. If it's changing between 0 and 3.3 Volts there's no need for it.
  15. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It took me forever to read through this thread but I'm glad I did. I am interested in making my own wheel and am debating between a direct drive or belt drive. Gadget999 told me on another thread that a wiper motor would not work for this purpose as it is a worm drive but I read on these threads that people have modified them to make them work in this application. Does anyone know of the modification necessary?

If I were to take the direct drive path could I use a treadmill motor? The one that I have found for a good price is 90v 2.25hp 4800rpm and 18 amps. Would that work if I ran it off 12v?
  16. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2.25 hp seems pretty powerful

18 amp at 90v = 1600 watts

18 amps at 12v is around 400 watts

I say give it a go, if you need more power run it at 24v

Does the motor have much stepping or cogging as you turn it by hand ?
  17. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about the stepping or cogging as I haven't seen and don't own the motor yet. I am able to get the motor for $30 USD. Is that a good deal? Also how would I power the motor?
  18. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Unfortunately it does not work that way.

18 amps @ 90v = a theoretical winding resistance of 5 ohms (theoretical as I cannot physically test myself, therefore R = V/I)
    So if we run the motor at 12V the expected power of the motor would drop to: I = V/R = 2.4 amps. W = AxV = 28.8 watts.

Suddenly doesn't sound so good.

Now, thats not the end of the story. This is because when we use a motor for a FFB wheel the motor is perpetually in "stall mode"
    I'ts not uncommon for a motor to use double the amount of current during stall. But that only brings up the power of the motor to ~60 odd Watts.
    Still not great.

A DC motor will not always draw the same amount of current with different voltages applied, the current drawn by the motor is affected primarilly by the winding resistance and then will be affected by the rpm.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah, so what I understand from what you're saying is it would be better to have a large amount of amps and a small amount of volts to create the smallest amount of resistance. Is that correct? Also do you know how a wiper motor could be modified to work for this project as a belt drive?
  20. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    No. Resistance is not created. I would strongly suggest watching youtube videos on electronics fundamentals to get a good understanding of resistance/voltage/current.

The best thing you could do in this situation is to copy someone elses project that has information readily available and has been proven to work.
    If you don't know much about electronics then you should not try to make something that has not been made before.

The wiper motor idea is a dead end. To modify the motor you would need some sort of custom gearbox sourced which in itself would cost more than a motor that would do what you need it to do in the first place. Motors that are ideal for FFB wheel generally are motors used in scooters, electric bikes etc.

What you first need to do is figure out how much money you want to spend on this project as this will dictate what it is that you can buy in the first place