1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

VR & Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Deane, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thank you for the praise but I don't deserve any praise.
    Mine is a long story, but in brief I was injured at work over 20 years ago which stuffed my neck and shoulder enough that I got paid out and due to various circumstances, such as age , disability and location made finding work for me difficult.
    The other problem has always been my lack of certified training or degrees or other bits of useless paper.
    I am the proverbial Jack of all trades and master of none.
    All of my "skills" are self taught and the only university have been to is the university of life.
    What I am doing here with motion sims is just another of the many " Projects" that I have undertaken to keep my mind busy so I don't go stark raving mad.
    Trying to make money from a hobby is always a hard task as I hate asking people for money for what might be a simple job to me and I am too soft or kind and just like helping people out if I can
    which is where society today has pretty much lost the plot and now everyone is out for themselves and stuff the rest.
    So for me it's just as easy to try news things, and when I have accomplished it I usually sell it to fund my next crazy idea.

There would be a market here for motion sims but people expect everything to be flashy and CNC everything and more about the looks than how good it might actually be in practice, so my rough and ready
    method of making shit from shit does not appeal to them.
    So I will just stick to the therapy of making stuff for my own amusement

And this pic sums up my attitude of what I do and why. (not personal BTW)

finger.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PIM1

PIM1 VR Racer

Fitness Instructor
    Balance:
    160Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6, Motion platform
    [QbeeUOTE="Kranky Pantz, post: 163921, member: 31014"]While I've never owned the DK1, I did spend a year with the DK2, and for what it was I loved it for sim racing with a wheel/pedals/shifter cockpit & also gamepad VR games.
    Once I got my CV1 though, the DK2 went up for sale, as there was no comparison between the two.
    There's just no going back once using the more advanced headset, better motion sensors, and higher software compatibility.
    Not to mention the real game changer...motion controllers.

By seeking out deals, a good sale, and even second hand, I've managed to accumulate the Rift, Vive and Samsung Odyssey, and regularly swap between all of them for various gaming scenarios.

I'd rate the Rift & Odyssey as the go to headsets for sim racing, and gaming in general.
    The Vive is OK, has great tracking, but the SDE looks only slightly better than that of the DK2.

If I were to give one up, it would definitely be the Vive.

Always keep an eye out for a nice, barely used, inexpensive VR headset...since some people can't handle motion sickness or (Gasp! Become bored with VR :eek:) they are out there.[/QUOhave just Become
    Hi I have just been using a rift cv1 and the frame rate is way better than my Vive with same settings. Can you confirm that the Samsung oddessy performance is the same as rift as I might just ditch the Vive due to frame rate whilst playing pc2.

It was my mates so didn't have long but his CPU is poor compared to my 8700k. Thanks
  3. dododge

dododge Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    854Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure the Rift is actually getting a better framerate? The Oculus software has better ways of compensating for missed frames, so it can look smooth and responsive even if the game isn't reaching 90fps.

The reason I mentioned the above is because the Vive (not the Pro) and Rift are roughly the same resolution, so underneath the SteamVR/Oculus software the game is probably running about the same for both of them. If it turns out you're relying on that Oculus magic to get an acceptable image, an Odyssey could be a problem because it doesn't have the Oculus framerate compensation and its higher resolution requires more GPU work than the Rift or Vive which is likely to make the view even choppier. Its improved picture quality comes at a cost.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Deane, I understand where you are coming from, and am glad to hear that you also feel that a mind is a terrible thing to waste...and idle hands do nobody any good.

Keep stretching yourself and nailing future projects as well as you have done this one!

Even if this ends up being a one-off for you, you did one hellu'va job...something which didn't require a piece of paper from someone else who thought they could "show you the way" on how it's done.

I think that this Jack did manage to master this one indeed!!! :cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks mate.
    It's a way of life that I have been living for the last 22 years.
    I was medically retired at age 40 and here I am now 62 years young who still thinks he is 32 but his body tells him he is more like a 70 year old.

Meold.png
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Brett Loxton

Brett Loxton New Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just skimmed this thread so forgive me if I've missed some info.
    The rift in oz brand new is $599. Dont even bother going second hand in oz for cv1, the people selling them are dreaming. Go straight to oculus.

As for the motion sickness, the dk1 was really bad for it. I got motion sick from it in like a minute ( i dont get motion sick normally with anything). the dk2 was better, no motion sickness but the resloution was lacking so i gave it a miss for full time use. I currently only use the cv1 for sim racing. the cv1 is much better than both the dk1/2, although i wouldnt mind a little extra resolution but its good enough to use full time competitively.
  7. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    You are right about people dreaming about the prices that they are asking for VR stuff overall.
    $599 is more than I want to spend or can afford more importantly as it might still make me feel sick.
    I am more inclined to go with one of the Windows Mixed Reality VR sets as I get those for a more realistic price of around $300.
  8. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    At the beginning i had motionsickness quickly....after 5 minutes MAX, i had to stop, in order not to vomit. And after a lot training,now i feel nothing. I can drive, as long as I want, without any sickness.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    LOL!!!!
    You've just described me as well...50 hit me hard this year, but I'm still in the denial phase.
    :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    VR and sickness ... everyone has a different level of susceptibility and from my experience it can be trained away if approached softly and good motion that matches what you see certainly helps allot. I get allot of different people onto my sim mostly with no background in VR and with a good software and then on-rig tracking solution I've had no incidence of sickness. Even going from a off rig tracking camera to an on board stabilised tracking camera made a noticeable difference. Not easy, but I will see if I can get a video up one day to demonstrate the differences. Edit - even the G- systems help, the better you can fool the brain and body that you are actually doing what you are seeing the less likely it is that the inner ear will become upset.
  11. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I used to get motion sickness playing FPS games like Doom and I stopped playing them many years ago.
    I only took on driving games just on my pc fairly recently and had no problems and that is what made me want to give VR a go together with my sim.
    I am going to try the slightly better Oculus DK2 and see if there is any improvement with a better resolution and tracking.
  12. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    If you have problems with a ego shooter game on a flat screen, i'm afraid, you are an hard case...but i think, with training, you will solve this. Today, i still can't see my own wolfensstein gameplay's. ;D
  13. PIM1

PIM1 VR Racer

Fitness Instructor
    Balance:
    160Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6, Motion platform
    Hope the dk2 works well and I used it for some racing but I do think you need to get a higher resolution screen asap when you can make sure you do not get sick.
  14. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm waiting for the DK2 to arrive so I can try that and I have a line on a Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality VR for a good price but I have to make a decision on that one
    as I'm still 100% sure on the whole idea.
    I first have to get some motion going on my sim as my Hall Effect Pots finally arrived so I have been busy making some mounts for those, then I can finalize the wiring
    and sort out config of the whole thing and I have not much idea Of what I'm doing in that respect. :think
  15. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Oh DK2...yes, you MUST set a higher supersampling resolution. The DK2 had an really huge screendoor effect and a low resolution. But i don't know, is the motion cancellation tool working with that HMD. But i saw solutions, where the camera was mounted on the rig.
  16. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I still prefer 3 screens setup for racing sims. If you can move the screens along the cockpit its even better!

17. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes... some people love VR, some people more like a tripple monitor setup. The most reasons for the monitor users, is the low resolution and the field of view, of the first gen of the VR glasses. And now, the next gen VR glasses reduce the disadvantages on a really big step (the first pimax hmd's for bakers, are now on shipping). My opinon: a tripple setup is really awesome...without any doubt. But on VR, you are IN the car...for me, that is a incredible difference. I never want to drive "flat" again. Another advantage i like of VR, is a lighter weight rig.
  18. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I got the DK2 yesterday and finally got it setup :mad: and I tested it quickly on Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa and it is a definite improvement on the DK1
    I didn't get do any laps as I had everything in bits mounting my pots and mounts to the motors.
    My next budget step up would be a Win Mixed Reality as they are much cheaper than the later Rift or Vive and the the Samsung Odyssey.
  19. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Active Member

Balance:
    1,721Coins
    Ratings:
    +335 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    You should be able to get a pretty decent image on the DK2 with the oculus debug tool plus playing with settings and wot not ,,,,It's not that much of a gap in screen resolution from the DK2 to the Vive & CV1..

Also download lucky's tale from the oculus store,,it's free
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Khaotic

Khaotic New Member

CTO @ Lightweave
    Balance:
    172Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    The main reason you'll be getting motion sickness with the DK1 is the screen doesn't have what's called "low persistence" mode and runs at only 60Hz. All modern headsets from the DK2 onward run their screens at a higher refresh rate (75Hz for the DK2 and 90Hz for most others), and in low persistence mode. On normal monitors, the pixels are on at all times, and just change their output when they get a new frame, which in a VR headset, causes huge amounts of persistence of vision and motion blur, and is a huge cause of motion sickness. Low persistence displays on the other hand only display each frame for 1-2ms of the 11ms frame time on 90Hz, and are black for the remaining 9ms. This helps *dramatically* with motion sickness. The DK2 was a pretty decent step up from the DK1, but the CV1 and Vive are a step above the rest. The Windows MR headsets are also pretty decent, and I would put their displays as pretty close to a Vive for a fraction of the price. We picked up 6 of the Dell Windows MR headsets at work for $100 each on Grays Online, and they're pretty decent.