1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Doubt about Motor - Ac Motor

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Thiago Banker, Sep 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Thiago Banker

Thiago Banker New Member

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good afternoon gentlemen , i would appreciate if someone could just give me a few minutes of your time.
    I`m new to the forum, i`ve been looking for a couple of months but i join a few days ago and by coincidence, a friend offering me a AC motor, and i didn't see any build with it. its possible to use it? because if yes, i would start to gather the material for my future (not so far) build.
    the specs of the motor are in the attached pic.
    And thanks for your attention in advance.

Attached Files:

2. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    No - its only single phase. You need 3 phase AC motors to control speed and direction etc using Variable Speed Drives for each motor (which can also convert single phase to 3ph). Good luck, I didnt learn anything here and basically just chipped away at my own thing and made every mistake possible. But finished the control panel today. Just gotta plug it all in.

seriously unless you have a passion for mechatronics and a trade background I would stay away from AC motors period. just save up and buy the $3000 all-in-one motion platform.
  3. Thiago Banker

Thiago Banker New Member

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the hint!
    I was doing some research and reached out to some guys and they were cool, and one told me that wouldn't worth to mess with it.
    I already have some other motors in mind... those wormgear, they seem quite popular in the forum, and somehow, for the project, i think affordable.
  4. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    If you have a passion for any of it, go nuts. Try and build it so you can benefit from it in another area tho - like being able to sell it or to show an employer. It'll encourage you to finish it. I found a lot well priced stuff along the way - Aluminium for the frame was one of the shell shocker expensive parts (for what it is). I have cheap VFD which will probably shit themself, cheaping out will backfire 75% of the time, so you *do* have to be careful or lucky. Inverter duty (ideal) AC motors are 4-5x the price at least. When I joined the gearbox and motor found the flange stuck out further than the shaft so I needed to extend the shaft. Entire process goes like that when you havent done it before. Not too long ago I just had to throw money at it and thats when it makes a bit more progress. You cant prepare for what the AC path will throw at a novice like you (and me). I wouldnt consider them at all unless you want to be completely picked up and thrown around. Not even electric cars use AC motors (to put the complexity of them into detail). I'm not an electrician either so what I've done is all illegal and tripped the house heaps playing around with it. I dont care but we cant brag about it as its surprisingly frowned upon. Even going to help on an electricians forum will get you banned. So you're on your own for a lot of it, simulator forums are too slow and only a handful of us know about AC. It's a much more mammoth task than it seems and the build will drag on into the years if you continually perfect it like me (you will want to as soon as you discover a better way to do something). I have kept my mouth shut to friends and family just to not have to answer any questions a million times about how its going as well. Keep it under wraps and just research as you go. Then casually mention you own a flight simulator
  5. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    it's not easy, but it works very well, there are some simulator of this type on the forum, in France too.
    you can see mine for exemple, and there are a lot on Thanos Forum fo example.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018