1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simulated Wind using MonsterMoto and ArduinoUno

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by SilentChill, May 15, 2015.

1. Fernando Romão Filho

Fernando Romão Filho New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    [QUOTE = "Avenga76, post: 111433, member: 10691"] I tried a new MM and a new Arduino and still the same problem.I did not bother to turn on the fan, I just connected my multimeter directly.When I connect the Arduino, both show the 1.8v engine and when I start the game, both engines go up to 3.8v and stay there until I disconnect the Arduino.I do not know much mm but some things need loads to show the real voltage, sometimes without load the volts change ...
    [​IMG]

I just want to make sure I'm loading the code correctly. I'm using the Arduino IDE and I use this to load the .ino file, so I selected the correct communication port and click the upload button, is all I need to do? No other steps? It says "Compiling sketch" and "Completed upload" so it looks like it is sending everything okay. [/ QUOTE]
  2. Fernando Romão Filho

Fernando Romão Filho New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    [QUOTE = "noorbeast, post: 160100, member: 10786"] Esteja ciente de que você pode postar em dois idiomas, mas é parte das Regras do Fórum que você também inclui o inglês, especialmente quando pedir ajuda, pois o Google Tradutor é bem: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/forum-rules.9527/ [/ QUOTE]
    I'm sorry, I did not know the rules ... I've already done one more post, before I see your alert, I'm sorry, it will not happen again.
  3. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    @Fernando Romão Filho check this line on the .ino:
    // This just works with one variable from the Game Dash.
    int Speed ;
    int SpeedGameDash = 0;

it has to be :
    int SpeedGameDash = 1;

This happened to me for a week or so, until I found out.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    first of all Make sure the fans you choose work directly through the 12 volts by the controller. See this example
  5. Michal Burisin

Michal Burisin New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I have problem with connection, possibly with power supply.

At the beginning, I got original Arduino and MotoMonster and SeaFlo blowers.

I didn't have any special power supply, so I used one from PC and connected it to main MotoMonster via Molex. On MotoMonster + went to +12V branch of the Molex and - to the ground on the molex.

upload_2018-8-15_22-31-34.png

It worked perfectly without problem.

I decided I will get proper power supply and do coils mod as well.

I hooked everything same as before, just added new power supply + coils, connection to power supply was like this:

WP_20180815_22_22_11_Pro.jpg

It's 12VDC power supply giving 16,5 A max.

I turned it on, the blower started to spin, but there was burning smell so I turned it off immediatly, but it seems Arduino is burned. It's not possible to upload code anymore and power led isn't on when powered. It just gets on when I press restart on Arduino, that's all I can do with it.

Now this chip circled below and it's near area gets VERY hot once powered via USB:

upload_2018-8-15_22-38-8.png

I thought it was due to coils or something else (I got these - they look little bit different, they are made from multiple tiny strands and not from one thick one as shown on images form @Avenga76, but the specifications should be almost the same).

So I got another Arduino, and hooked it up without coils and even without blower to be safe, Arduino had uploaded program which has default speed set to zero, so it shouldn't do anything, but it burned Arduino same as before :(. PWM mode was set to 0.

If I plug in power supply with just the MotoMonster, both big chips on MotoMonster are cool.

Once I attach it as shield to Arduino (without blower connected) one chip gets very hot immediately (I can hold finger on it, but it's uncomfortable), the other chip stays cool.

Anyone has some idea what's going on? As it worked ok with PC power supply before. Do I have the connection to the power supply correct? It has +12 V and the other ports are named COM, which I found should stand for common and should be very similiar to ground.

upload_2018-8-15_22-48-34.png

Or this is the problem and I should connect the black cable to GROUND next to green/yellow cable?

I thought power from MM shouldn't go to Arduino at all. Also I have it connected to Arduino as shield and all pins are there, also those with +5 V and + 3,3 V, but it worked before with PC power supply, so it shouldn't be problem.

The MotoMonster is looking to work fine - the red led shines when connected to power supply. I don't know it it's ok or it could cause the trouble.

I'm now afraid to do more experiments and I ran out of Arduinos anyway, I will probably getting cheaper clones now to figure it out.

Anyone has idea what I did wrong?

Many thanks.

Michal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    16,5 v its a overpower voltage. Maintain between 12 and 14 its a limit. WARNING, very important thing, just put a multimeter and take voltages from this power supply. Generally made in china, voltages and amper are instable and poor.
  7. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Dont conect "ground" cable, only positive and negative. Dont invert this position too.
  8. Michal Burisin

Michal Burisin New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @paulopsx2 Ahhh, I see now where I made mistake.

Before I was connecting servos, which has only +12 V and ground cables, and I got association from there, that black cable = ground.

upload_2018-8-17_0-4-6.png

But I see now that MotoMonster is + and - which should be connected to power supply.

upload_2018-8-16_23-57-46.png

It seems I bought wrong power supply, as it doesn't have minus at all, it has just +V and COMs, which are probably same as ground. This power supply is designed for powering LED stripes.

upload_2018-8-16_23-58-39.png

So I guess I need to buy power supply, that has plus and minus.

I have found this one from Meanwell, which is just 12,5 A and passive cooled, should it be enough or I need stronger one? Two blowers should take 12 A which is pretty close to the limit of 12,5 A this power supply is capable of delivering.

Stronger power supplys are actively cooled and like two times more expensive. For example this one.

Anyway one thing I still don't understand is, that when I connected it to PC power supply directly to molex connector to +12 V strand and ground, why it didn't burned the same way as with this power supply. Any idea?

Many thanks for help!
  9. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Je suis tombé accidentellement (par hasard) sur une ventilation de cabine de tracteur 12V dc
    I stumbled accidentally (by chance) on a 12V DC tractor cab ventilation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    c'est très puissant
    it's very powerful
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  10. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ??
  11. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  12. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I stumbled accidentally (by chance) on a 12V DC tractor cab ventilation
  13. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    [​IMG]
    I printed a case for the arduino and moto monstershield that I had removed from my first version simu 2dof 12v
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  14. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    [​IMG]
    The case is just stuck
    [​IMG]
    Server supply
    • Like Like x 3
  15. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    interesting.... dont need a induction for blowers?
  16. thecure

thecure New Member

Balance:
    - 91Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    another solution
  17. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    sorry I dont understand
  18. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To manage the wind
  19. lemaitre

lemaitre Member

Balance:
    - 112Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Martyn

Martyn Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    49Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6
    Hi guys,¨
    i would love to make wind simulation for nolimits / assetto as well.
    I would like to try blower NZXT FN200 (https://www.nzxt.com/products/fn) , because the parameters looks promising, it is very silent and i have one here accidentally:)
    Can i use the arduino code in first post with this blower as well?
    Also few pages ago you´ve been discussing any "PWM Modes" - i can not see any pwm mode settings in original code? Where can i change that and what pwm mode would you recomend for my setup (Arduino Uno + Moto Monster + NZXT FN200)..

I got simdash running already so no troubles there:)

Btw what power source shall i get for running this blower - according to parameters it drains 0,42A (i guess it is max) so for one fan just a small 12V/1A source should be more then ok?
    Many thanks for info!