1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom DIY 3dof Dbox Style Rig with 4 x 750 Watt Linear Actuators 100 mm

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ringorumble, May 10, 2018.

1. Simon Bailey

Simon Bailey New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think also that there are so many cool and innovative elements to this design that it's gets people thinking about potential implementation and future possibilities and they are bound to ask "Can it do this..? Can it do that?" It's the way that hobbies like this are perpetuated and new ideas developed and evolved...

This project has been offered to the public... and thank you so much... so you're always going to get a million opinions, questions, and what if's!

I am really looking forward to starting my build for this and I think it could develop into the leading bang for buck motion system currently available.. commercial or otherwise...

Nice to be here!
  2. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,000Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    @Ringorumble for me, it's a project I've been waiting for a couple of years.Many people were waiting for this project.
    thank you again.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. saxxon66

saxxon66 New Member

Balance:
    323Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I am shocked!

Coming back to this thread I could hardly believe what I am reading.

yobuddy:
    " ... I guess we could do some serial port sniffing to figure out the control protocol in order to build a interface should we really need to. ... "

I want you to respect my intellectual property.
    Do not ask someone to sniff the protocol or use other reverse engineering techniques.
    This is an illegal act!

SimFeedback is in early stage, many things will likely change.
    Obviously this is not the time to define external interfaces for others.

SimFeedback is not open source or public domain.

The SFX-100 actuator design is open source.
    https://github.com/SimFeedback/SimFeedback-AC-Servo/wiki/License

The motor used are industrial motors, used in many thousand installations.
    On the market there are numerous control options, one was mentioned in this thread too.
    So go with them if you want to support this.

What a shame
    Instead of commenting about the open source design you are promoting other commercial actuators.

This SFX-100 design is a high performance actuator design

750 Watt AC powered motor
    7.2 NM of torque (peak)
    10,000 CPR resolution
    Ballscrew drive
    245 mm/s max speed

And the price is outstanding and not expansive for the value. In my country you can build one for under 400 € inkl. tax.
    We designed it for everyone!
    It uses of the shelf parts only, so if you have the skills (3d printing mainly) and money to build one, than this is the best choice at the moment.

It comes in a complete package:
    * optimized Software
    * optimized Controller
    * ... and tested and proven by well known SimRacers and German Engineers
    like Martin Ascher, Florentin v. Schmidt-Pauli and Ringorumble
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I think what's being said for the most part is that if people can use Simtools with its current vast library of plugins then more would be interested in building your actuators. But I understand you are wanting to develop your own software with its own plugins and I think that's great too and what this site is supposed to be about.

However there may be a solution that can please everyone and that would be allowing your software to input Simtools telemetry too. All that's needed is a network port. You can even create your own protocol for the data. This would help you gain users more quickly and in turn you would likely get more help with making native plugins for your software.

What's your opinion @saxxon66?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. saxxon66

saxxon66 New Member

Balance:
    323Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good for me.

No network port needed.
    Both interfaces are available, so it would be a simple task to write a layer in between. Like a small wrapper or proxy.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Quick question regarding safety issues...

Do you plan adding limit switches for proper calibration on power up?

I have noticed that the system is completely open loop, and requires the users to literally step on the actuators before power them up.
    What will happen if someone forgets that "step"?
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    In any case Simtools needs a port number to transfer the information in a packet. And you need to tell us what packet format you require so you will be able to decipher the data so you can then import it into your motion software. We also need to know what bit range and output type you will use.
  8. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    My quess is they won't forget again. :D
    • Funny Funny x 7
  9. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,904Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    @saxxon66
    The SimTools Plugins are only for use with SimTools buddy.
    The EULA can be found here:
    https://simtools.us/downloads-links/
    What BlazinH is suggesting, is that you use UDP or memory mapped output from SimTools to send the telemetry data to your software.
  10. Skavage

Skavage New Member

Balance:
    - 45Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @saxxon66

I just found out about this project of yours a few days ago in the iRacing forums. I'd just like to say what you've done here is incredible. I find the entire project from start to finish to be nothing less than amazing. I'm just hoping it is possible to run the system with 110v as US houses all run on 110. If it can, then I'll be like a little kid in a candy shop because I am building this!

Now, time to go back and start reading the entire thread. Thanks again for sharing this project!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. steve white

steve white New Member

Balance:
    - 35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Great project amazing work, Does anyone know of any parts suppliers in the uk.
  12. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    If i where you i would just follow the shopping list in the Wiki Steve. The UK is not that far away from Germany and shipping from those companies is reasonable.
  13. steve white

steve white New Member

Balance:
    - 35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks HoiHman, only one that doesn’t seem to post to uk is, the ball screw and fixed bearing. I take it these are just standard parts and not specific to that company
  14. Skavage

Skavage New Member

Balance:
    - 45Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone from the US or another country that is on 110c AC built one of the actuators yet and tested it? I have found the driver controller in a 110v configuration, which will still drive the motor, but I don't know how much power the motor uses. If, for example, it only uses 90v then everything would work just perfect with a 110v controller. But if the motor draws 190v, then the 110v controller wouldn't put out enough for the motor so performance would suffer greatly.
  15. GEEDOGG

GEEDOGG New Member

Locomotive Engineer
    Balance:
    279Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering the same thing I've been searching and found a 5000watt up/down converter that may work but I would rather have direct plug into 110v I'll keep an eye on this thread. I just purchased a 3D printer so I can start my build but I surely need to know if I'll be able to use the motor being that it's the most important part of the build.
  16. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    You can call any electrician and he can add an outlet for 220v (230v actually) on any house in USA. 1phase 220v is available anywhere, just not standard in US as all the house appliances keep following 110v standard. If you have washer and dryer you bet they use 220v circuit (unless they are gas type).

And no, 220v servo drive wont work on 110v... even if you manage to get the panel powered, i bet it will give you power error messages... if you want a servo that can replace the AC servos mentioned here that works with 110v 1phase, see this one here, has same step direction inputs:
    https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDHP-N0561P-ELN/?model_voltage=230VAC3ph
    (Select the 110v model from the drop down menu)

Step up inverters from 110v to 220v could work. It would draw more current than using straight 220v though + power losses to heat. Dont forget to attach external ground. These step up inverters dont use ground reference. All 220v devices in USA have to be grounded on their metal surfaces by law!
    • Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. fsutton

fsutton Member

Balance:
    323Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 2 / -0
    Educate me. Why isn't the built in ground for the converter unit enough? There's nothing listed in the manual about having to ground the chassis externally. If I have to, I'll just run a 220 line to the basement. My neighbor is an electrician, so it should be easy enough.

For whatever reason I can't get the amazon link to embed in my post. Google simran 5000 watt stepup converter.

18. steve white

steve white New Member

Balance:
    - 35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Please bear with me in a complete novice at this but I have a question about connecting the servos to a power source, do you plug them into a wall socket and daisy chain all 4 or, does it need something else, also is there a neutral connection on the servo, as the diagram doesn’t show it, I like in the uk with single phase supply.
  19. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Having requested the Ali Seller to track down a 110v Driver for the motor's....I feel like an Complete Idiot for not thinking how simple this solution truly is ( at least for myself being less than 6' from my Breaker panel )

Question for you electical guru's. Can i just cut the Power cables from Drivers and custom make 4x into 1x 220v plug ? Rather not have to bring in a 220v power bar if i dont have to.
  20. HoiHman

HoiHman Active Member

Mechanic
    Balance:
    330Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    @Nick Moxley, yes you can combine the power cables so you have just one plug. The beta tester in de 2 hour german video (Florentin) did the same.

Got my 4 servos today

[​IMG]

I made a quick video on how to do the first test

• Like Like x 6