1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motion and VR - Were doing it all wrong!

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by SeatTime, Jun 30, 2017.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Note the first video - These guys have got VR and motion all sorted out - were obviously doing it all wrong:).

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Too much pitch!
    They should send us their profile settings
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I sometimes wonder if I'd get more out of VR if I didnt understand the technology behind it. :)

(Like those people running out of a cinema at the first "oncoming" video of a steam train)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ashraf

Ashraf Member

Balance:
    1,034Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
  5. FoxONe42

FoxONe42 6DOF newbie

Flight simulator engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    It is so funny to watch people experience VR for the first time. That simply shows how immersive it is. It is also true that we don't even realise it while in VR. I was flying a chopper in DCS in VR some time ago, when I put my oculus rift off, my mum asked me my neck wasn't painfull. Apparentely I was making many head moves while flying :)
  6. RoCk3T

RoCk3T New Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    how to set the parameters to make the user feel less dizzy in VR?
  7. FoxONe42

FoxONe42 6DOF newbie

Flight simulator engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    I don't believe there is an easy answer for that question. Dizziness comes from a difference between your internal ear, and what you see in the VR headset. You brain believes it is moving, but you body isn't. The goal of a motion platform is to reproduce as much as possible all moves you could feel IRL. The more DOF, the better I think. I personnaly started a 6DOF of freedom project for that purpose. Then, it is all a matter of settings indeed to make your seat move you way you would move IRL. You can get close to real moves with a 6DOF motion platform. But keep in mind that it is very hard to "simulate" acceleration (don't expect to get 9G for instance :)
    But then again, to answer you question, the parameters depends on a lot of variable (including your own motion platform hardware) so there is no simple answer.
    Oh and by the way, there is something essential to feel less dizzy: Make sure your simulator / game always run with decent FPS in order to have a smooth feeling.
  8. PaulMac000

PaulMac000 Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    I've found as long as you keep the velocity constant and acceleration 0 you have a bit of flexibility to how you can move the user.
    I talked to the founder of Big Robot (who is focused on VR locomotion) and his insights were spot on.