1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What kind of printer do you use?

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by bruce stephen, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Jymä

Jymä Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Tevo Tarantula with some modifications:
    Genuine E3D V6 hotend, old server psu from my sim, glass on top of heatbed, Octoprint with camera (Raspberry Pi can be seen behind psu) and some printed supports here and there.

IMG_20180202_122005.jpg

Pretty good value for the money, but I'm mostly printing quite large parts and have issues with warping using PETG filament. I've tried different bed adhesions and haven't found the optimal solution yet. If I secure the print with 100% PVA glue it will stick but is a pita to remove. Especially because I can't remove the glass easily... Should have made it removable if I knew. I thought warping was ABS issue only.

Maybe I should try ABS with some kind of casing for the printer or still different brands of PETG. Sucks when you see the prints starting to warp only after 5 hours or so. For adhesion I have tried hair spray and glue stick, and currently use diluted PVA glue. Small designs and some kind of large designs don't warp at all. :rolleyes:

I also bought 0.6mm nozzle for the hotend to speed up big prints, but the stock extruder can't really keep up so better use 0.4mm nozzle for everything.
  2. paulg100

paulg100 Active Member

Balance:
    1,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Never had an issue with petg warping. No way would i bother with ABS for large parts, espcially without an enclosure. ABS is one of the worst out there for warping.

is there an easy way to convert your bed to PEI.

Before i get me prusa mk3 i was using a glass bed on wanhao i3. Tried all the hacks that were supposed to work great, glue, hairspray etc etc etc.

With the PEI bed on the prusa you have to use glue to stop petg sticking to well!!
    Some of it is also due to the levelling as well. The wanhao didn't have auto bed level so it was never anything like as level and consistent as the prusa is.
  3. Jymä

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll order a PEI sheet and try PETG filament from Prusa.
    Printer has manual bed leveling, but I have found pretty stable method for it. Guess its even more important with PEI sheet to not damage it. Although I could try installing some cheap induction sensor I have.
  4. paulg100

paulg100 Active Member

Balance:
    1,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    The PEI is not particularly delicate, it stands up to a scraper fine.

The brand of petg filament ive used the most is REAL, but used a few other budget brands also. PETG is known for having one of the lowest shrinkage of all the filaments, on par or less than pla so you should not be getting warping problems really. Like i say, ive never had an issue with warp. and ive printed some pretty big stuff.

the one thing i found worked the best for glass was sandblasting it. Everything stuck great.. so great that after a while the prints started tearing the surface off the glass!

Just a thought but is it possible your roll has been sitting out for a long time soaking up moisture?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. Jymä

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    No, after I opened the roll I printed around 200 gram part and it warped. The petg filament brand is esun. Here's an example. First layer starts fine and all but then it starts to warp after 30 layers or so. The Z isn't perfect either...
    warp.jpg
  6. paulg100

paulg100 Active Member

Balance:
    1,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Used a few rolls of that on the wanhao glass bed. No issues to report TBH. The only time i have lifting like that is if 1. beds not level 2. extruder/bed temp not hot enough.
    On glass i was priting esun at 250 with 85-90 bed and purple glue stick.
  7. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Make a thread on the DIY setup paul, Please i would love to learn.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Tecnico pc hardware/software MadeFix
    Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Anet AM8 metal frame VSlot. autoleviling sensor , firmware Skynet. very good. low price
  9. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    You could try a darker filament. Natural petg lifts easier than the black. I use fructis extreme hair spray on glass for everything. The only problems so far is with pure nylon. My hotend tops out at 280c which is a little cool for nylon.
  10. younique2097

younique2097 New Member

Balance:
    141Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    here we are, i build my own printer 3d :)))) based on prusa i3

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. FoxONe42

FoxONe42 6DOF newbie

Flight simulator engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    I am personnaly still using my Printrbot Simple 2014 edition with some modification. Well I don't have any picture of mine now, but here how it looks like:[​IMG]
    Mine is modified with some self printed Y X axis extension to go from 10 cm span to 15 cm. And all strings have been replaced by belts. And I added a heated bed as well. Other than that, it is pretty much the same as it was 4 years ago :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Hey I got my first 3d printer! Creality Ender 3!
    20180904_091308.jpg
    :cheers
    • Like Like x 3
  13. UAlberta Formula SAE

UAlberta Formula SAE New Member

Engineering Student
    Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I use a MonoPrice Select Mini V2 but am hoping to get access to something better soon.

For small prints it does not bad.

PLA usually works great and I've had decent luck with PETG (but haven't done any big prints in PETG yet). I had a lot of issues with ABS - the standard cat model turned out great and I printed a couple owls that turned out okay but most of my prints delaminated :(

The build size is good for small parts but for enclosures it's easy to quickly hit the limit (Can manage an Arduino UNO enclosure until you add large mounting tabs etc.).

[​IMG]
  14. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Print bed Adhesion is Very important for accurate, Visually perfect prints. What is the build plate on that Mini V2 ? i Can highly suggest the "Elmers Xtreme Glue Stick" for any PEI type surface or a Glass Plate, Obviously certain Filaments will react differently, But overall this is my Go To for when i NEEEEED stuff to stick no questions asked.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. UAlberta Formula SAE

UAlberta Formula SAE New Member

Engineering Student
    Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thanks for the tip! I've had decent adhesion for PLA and PETG but had someissues with ABS - may have also had to do with print settings as it seemed like the print head just knocked the model off the print bed lol. Maybe I should check that it's level...
  16. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Yes, a Level Print bed is also Very Critical, You can run some "Z hop" to help counteract Smashing into the print for large Tall model with lots of print head movement
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    I'm using a MagicD Anet A8 that I picked up from Amazon and have been extremely happy with it.

Had it for just over a year, and for the $250 CAD which it cost on sale it has more than paid for itself in printing parts for my sim rig.

One drawback is that it had to be completely assembled from scratch, but the bonus for that hassle is that I gained the knowledge of how the machine works.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SEHATanguy

SEHATanguy Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hey guys,

Is there a 3D printer that is better for us? I mean to help to create item for our motion rigs? I want to buy one but I guess that if I take a too little one, I'll be stuck once i'll need a bigger thing to create for the rig
  19. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I guess anything that ranges in a 10 to 15 cm square of work area should be enought for most motion rig. You can still stick parts togetter if you want to go bigger. Or get a bigger printer.

I chose mine on review, and not on scale. No matter how big it is, if it does not work well, you'll be swearing.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Most of the ones mentioned in this thread should have a large enough print area for anything sim related.

One of the popular ones you'll hear mentioned is the Monoprice Mini, which I would NOT recommend as it would be far too small for most prints.

I'm happy with my Anet A8, which has a print area of 220 x 220 x 240mm , is easy to work on if need be, and can be found for under $300, or even $200 when on sale.
    • Agree Agree x 1