1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Linear actuator using ClearPath Integrated Servo System @ 72V DC

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Dirty, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick this is my sim Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Dirty, Ive been browsing over the figures on torque (.09 N- > 2.8 N) and now I'm confused; at those figures it doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to pull your pants down????:confused:

Would you care to enlighten me, on why this product was chosen!

Retards Jerry.
    [​IMG]
  2. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Why are you using a belt and sensor?
    Can't you use the builtin ClearPath positioning system or am I missing something?
    That's the main advantage of those servos.

3. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    They are controlled in open loop from arduino. Even as steps using pulses, they are not going to be real time controlled as they buffer the pulses and must execute all motion in sequence before executing new position...
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    764Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hmm...they have 900W steady. Plenty Power anyway. And don´t forget the transmision (2.8 Nm @ 1:50 =125 Nm !!!)
  5. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Funny you were answering exactly now :) I am just writing something... gimme an hour or two.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hey :)

sorry for the late reply. Took me forever. Been away for a while. But still quite active in the workshop! I am happy to be able to say I’m well ahead of schedule on this project which is a rare occurrence in my life :)

Here’s how I calculated:
    The motors generate 0.9N of force @ a radius of 1m (continuous)
    =900N @1mm
    =112N @8mm (since the ballscrew has 16mm diameter = 8mm radius)

When the ballscrew does a full rotation it moves 50,27mm along the circumference of the screw while it pushes the ball nut 5mm forward. That is like a gear ratio of 10:1 leading to a push force of 1130N.

That’s ~113Kg of lifting capacity (continuous) or 350Kg (peak) per actuator. Can you imagine what happens when 6 actuators each apply 3500N of force (total of 21000N) on a 85Kg payload!?! This thing will initially accelerate upwards at 14G. I don’t know what kind of pants you’re wearing, but I’d be more concerned for my balls flying off when this beast springs into action. :grin

All that said, please… if there is an error in my calculations, let me know! I might have gotten those numbers wrong somewhere along the road.

I’m still in Egypt (windsurfing) and for some reason I cannot access my cloud drive, but I will post a link to the excel sheet I’m using for you to check my calculations when I’m back. I’d REALLY appreciate some feedback.

To answer your question:
    I chose those motors because they are very powerful and they can be driven directly by the AMC1280. All they need is a speed demand signal. No arduinos, no PID, no Kangaroos, no soldering (almost), no break resistors, no capacitors, no nothing!

Every thing I DON'T have, is a thing I don't need to understand, maintain, buy, fix, worry about or replace ...like EVER!

oh,... and to be brutally honest to myself I should probably admit that I bought those motors while I was under the wrongful assumption that I could even ditch the belt and position sensors and just rely on the motors internal position sensing, but that turned out to be not the case as @Thanos pointed out.

...more pictures (and videos) coming!

Dirty :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-14 um 15.54.13.png
    ...at least a picture. :)
  8. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hey @pmvcda

Well,…. Initially I was planning on building an actuator with a simple MY1020 and an Arduino. Therefore the belt and pot was a necessary evil and I designed the actuators with those in mind. When I switched to the Clearpath motors, I thought that I could leave everything out if I used them in „Follow Position Demand“ mode. Unfortunately, that wasn’t quite as easy as I would’ve liked it to be….

First @Thanos informed me about this issue with the motors having to finish every move before being able to execute a new move and recommended using the motors in „Follow Speed Demand“ mode together with the AEAT-6012 as a sensor.

Then I briefly considered using the motors internal sensor (like you do in your project) but those motors aren’t meant to be used in this way and my technical skills are definitely not sufficient to hack into the motors internal workings, so I looked into the AEAT-6012s.

They provide 12bit resolution (4096 steps) and I have ~10 turns per full stroke leaving me with ~40.960 steps for the 380mm of travel. That’s a resolution of 0,0092mm per step. Less than 1/100 of a mm. I know that this is a theoretical value, but at least I can be reasonably certain that the position sensing will not be the bottle neck when it comes to the accuracy of the rig.

Here a couple of pics of how I will mount the belt and sensor.
    Instead of the T-shape belt run I planned earlier, I can now use this L-shape design.
    hjdghd.PNG hfghj.PNG öjhlkgfdgh.PNG

For now I will print all parts in PLA (a dream to print!) until I am through a few design iterations and found the right setup and everything works flawless. Then I will switch over to either NylonX or PETG for the "serial production".
    IMG_9105.jpg IMG_9107.jpg IMG_9108.jpg

Here you can see, that the new design I adopted from @bruce stephen 's recommendation allows me to have only one idler.
    Unbenannt.PNG

• Like Like x 4
  10. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    To keep the end of the ballscrew from dangling around inside the rod, some form of spacer needs to keep it in place (centred). This spacer must also be able to let air pass through, because when the rod moves the air inside it must have somewhere to go.

Initially I used this star-shape design.
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-16 um 19.16.33.png

The problem is, that you need tight tolerances to prevent (noisy!) vibrations of the ballscrew but at the same time you need a little wiggle room to allow it to rotate on the ballscrew and to keep it from getting stuck inside the rod as it moves past the spacer.

This new spiral-design works a lot better!
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-16 um 19.17.55.png IMG_9173.jpg öpjh.PNG

It has an outside diameter about 0,2mm (1/100th inch) greater than the inside diameter of the rod. So you will need to flex-in those spiral arms a little to get it inside the rod, but then it will deliver
    1. a nice and constant "springy" centering force to the ballscrew
    2. will allow for ventilation and is
    3. absolutely play-free.

I have made a before and after video from the same distance and there is an audible difference in noise level :) I will post those when I'm back home.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  11. Jerry Atrick

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
  12. Jerry Atrick

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Dirty, I have question if I may?

Can we add the weight of "motor and ballscrew inertia" into the equation?

It would be interesting to see the difference on the outcome.

Regards Jerry
  13. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    I'd say the rotational moments of inertia of the ballscrew and motor axis (aka. "what it takes to get these small parts into motion") are negligible compared to the inertia of the platform/payload (aka. "what it takes to get this huge mass into motion!)

Keep in mind, when it comes to actuation speed or nominal static force of the actuators, inertia plays absolutely NO role. It is only important for acceleration.

If you wanna reduce weight, your platform and your "belly" are the most promising candidates :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Holy smoke,... NO!!!! :):):):):):)

In my opinion, those motors are total overkill! In fact, I think even my own motors at 6 x 1100W are overkill already.

If I had to come up with a catchy rule of thumb for the power requirements per motor (Preq) of a stewart-platform, it would be...

Preq[W]= 3 x upper-mass[Kg]

so,... with the platform at ~50Kg and the payload at ~100Kg, I'd say that you should use 3 x 150 = 450W of power per motor.
    ...something like this perhaps.
  15. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    IF
    But only if you take lead srews with 5 mm pitch;)
  16. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    AND if the angle between the actuators and the floor is not too small;) You can see that problem in SilentChills Thread...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  17. Jerry Atrick

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Dirty, and MystAr, thank you for your input and explanation.

It is always appreciated.

Regards Jerry.
  18. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    ...I wouldn't necessarily come to that conclusion. Power is the ability to apply force along a path per unit of time. Or to apply torque at an RPM.
    Power = Force x Distance / Time (translation)
    = Force x Velocity (translation)
    = Moment x 2π/s (rotation)

It's completely up to you if you want to turn that power into speed or force. You will have to trade in one for the other though. I guess we agree on that? If you use a 10mm screw vs. a 5mm screw you will trade force for speed, right? Now, it depends which of these factors is limiting in your case.

Most electric motors I came across run at a speed of somewhere around 3000-4000 rpm. With a 10mm screw and a 4000rpm motor, I agree, that there is a high chance that you will be limited by the torque of the motor if you use the 3W/Kg*motor formula. But it is an important distinction to make here: Torque is the limiting factor, not power! :)

If you simply recommend using a more powerful motor that has a higher rpm then you will still have the same problem.
    But if you recommend using a more powerful motor that has a higher torque then you will save the day :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  19. Jerry Atrick

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Dirty, thanks for explaining the usage reasoning once again, I really appreciate the guidance you have given me.

Jerry:)
  20. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hooray Hooray!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

finally :)

this is the comparison I was talking about:

...so far, I'm simply jogging it up and down via the manufacturers software, but the very fact that something (anything!) is moving when I click a mouse button is simply amazing!

Can't believe it :))))))))))))
    • Like Like x 10
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018