1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIMM Cooler Fan Mount

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Zed, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I wanted to run with overclocked DIMM memory on my computer so decided to used forced-air with a pair of 40mm fans. This assembly spans 4 rows of DIMMs.

This is just a quick print to do that. I used are 40x40x10mm Noctua fans and mounted them from below with the little screws they come with. The brackets for the mount clamp to the DIMM retaining clips. I don't know if they are all the same size, but the slots I used are 38x4x1.5 to hold the assembly centered and up off the motherboard and components as well as keep the screws from touching the DIMMs.

The brackets are 30mm from the bottom of the fan mount to the top of the DIMM clips. Depending on how big your DIMMs are, that may or may not be ideal for you.

I split the fan assembly down the middle and dovetailed it both to make the pieces easily fit my printer bed, and to allow a little flex when snapping the brackets over the DIMM retaining clips. I used M3 screws throughout. With the fan mount being 6mm thick, M3x1/4 screws work perfect. The photos don't show them all in place because I ran out. More on the way.

There are commercial ones available. I just wanted to make my own and use some parts and filament I had laying around.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. UAlberta Formula SAE

UAlberta Formula SAE New Member

Engineering Student
    Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Awesome idea!!

When I was looking into memory cooling, I was disappointed by the high cost and lack of variety. This makes it much easier to get the fan layout, color scheme, fan noise, etc. that you are looking for!

You've actually got me thinking I should print a little shroud for my HDD enclosure:

[​IMG]

My case only had room for 2 HDDs but I wanted to run RAID 5 (with 3 disks). This raised concerns about cooling since there were only supposed to be 2 disks in the space now occupied by 3 so I added a tiny fan. A bit of a sketchy solution but maybe if I print a little shroud it will work a bit better! Thanks for the idea :thumbs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1