1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

(My very first) 2DOF Motion Sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Pedro Pablo, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Pedro Pablo

Pedro Pablo Active Member

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys!

Looong time I came up with my mission of making my motion sim chair, sadly with a lack of knowledge of mechanics, electronics, physics and other stuff it was a long trip to came up with this, even the past year i've bought some Wiper Motor and i broke one of them, and later i've traveled to bought 2 DC motors to a guy who built a 6DOF sim but he went tout of the country so he sold it.

Here's the stuff of I have bought at the time
    • 2 DC Motors, IDK about Torque, Watts, Gear Ratio, but just seeing it can hadle the motion very well
    • 2 R25X 10K Pots, sadly they were broken inside when i've tested at home so for now i'm using it 2 5K linear pot and i'm in plans to change it to 10K, for now i can't afford buy new R25X because they're so expensive even on aliexpress (btw, any chance to look it up and repair?)
    • 2 knob extenders
    • 2 aluminium levers and 2 rods
    • 4 Monster Moto (2 per motor) with fans, heatsink and wires. I've screwed up 2 MM not because the heat or malfunction, but because I wanted to desolder all the header pins and make a clean wiring. Luckily I have some spare MM but for now with no experiece at soldering I prefer to use the last 2 and buy some more later
    • 2 Dell PSU with 12V 62.4A of output
    And with that all stuff I came up with this

20180810_014319.jpg
    The motor supports came with a lot of desk supports, measurements, nuts and bolts (banjo kazooie reference there). Now i'm still in the fight of making the motor works well before thinking about the structure. The Arduino is flashed with the SMC3 code and i'm trying to limit the degree turn and also finding a way to keep straight the lever in a neutral position before and after playing. With that resolve i have to sell one of my
    kidneys to afford the metal, the seat, the belt and the work to make the structure

Hope to have any update soon, for now I'm going to go out to the arcade gallery to play some Pump It Up and when i back i'll keep going with the motors and the degree limiter
  2. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    very nice. where did you grab the motors from?
  3. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I bought them to a guy here in Chile which he made a 6DOF sim with those motors, and after leaving the country started to sell piece by piece. IDK the specs of the motors to find a reference in internet
  4. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    1:40am, and it seems that I need to master SMC3. Since im still nobish in electronics looks like i give so much power to a MM that it spread some smoke so I have to shut it down and let it cold, but i'll continue on the next day. Any advice to do a good tinung at SMC3Util? I'm just looking to give a little motion to both motors but at the same time i dont wanna to f*ck it up
  5. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    to be honest its about quarter after one here in the morning and im in the same boat as you. just realized after setting up my seat its not the most comfortable , just try to think of absolute comfort in the seat. maybe me just being tired. i have the DC motors on a platform that sits behind my rig but i haven't gotten to wear you are right now. i haven't been able to get the simtools to work as of yet. i have gotten the SMC3 to work . its just the matter of using the directions to the letter. good luck with your ride. Oh and don't forget about simhub and crew chief V4
  6. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    For me i dont even have a seat, before that i just wanna get the motors turning at the right degree, speed and force without screwing anything, right now im at work so i cannot expect if the MM is still ok or it needs to be replaced
  7. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    but they have to be under load to fine tune them to your weight.
  8. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i was able to get my seat out of a junk yard. i cant remember what car it was but i made sure the seat was as comfy and adjustable without electricity. in other words no electric seat.
  9. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    For now im short of money, so I need to find out how to test with SMC3 without any load
  10. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

0:21am That video is not mine, just i'm gonna follow the values showed to get a good motion with my motors and record a video. After that I can go further to buy a seat and start to build the platform
  11. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    same here i watched a video of making as rig out of wood and was the founding of making my rig. ive gotten stereo receivers from resale shops to implement the same vibs as shakers using speakers. dude im in the same boat but but worked up from there. i use the oculus rift so the rig doesn't have to be pretty but realistic. even though i have spent countless hours on the rig and my wife says i live in the garage now, i enjoy the passion of making it the great thing for a great race.

i originally built the rig for my kid for a xmas present but he isn't into race. fortnight is the thing so i kept it for me.i hope with even thing i add my son will see the pride in building something for ourselves. over 3 years and counting on building this rig so if you have any questions i can definitely help.
  12. Qlittles

Qlittles Active Member

Balance:
    226Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    for my rig, i bought the fanatec wheel and pedal set with the seat and frame for $80 off Craigslist (and my 2dof + traction-loss build was $300). i think you already have the most expensive parts, so you can definitely get by with a low budget if you have time to look around. good luck, and i hope to see the finished build :)