1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Low cost 2DOF/3DOF/6DOF motion simulator - DOF REALITY

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Radioproffi, May 23, 2016.

1. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Guys,

Im dropping out of sim racing for a while and going to try flight sims. Ordered a Logitech X-56 HOTAS and some cheap Thrustmaster rudder pedals (they will do for now) and when they come, I will bolt them onto the P3 rig.
    I do have a mount on the left hand side which I fabricated for the throttle but would be interested to see how you all have mounted a joystick. Has anybody mounted the joystick centrally or have anybody developed the mounting some other way (when I bought the P3, I never got hardware for mounting HOTAS etc).

I read in an earlier post that when using motion in a flight sim, if you perform rolls and loops, the motion rig will quickly and harshly switch from one extreme of the axis to the other extreme. Surely that should be able to be tweaked out in the settings. Does anybody have any good setups I can start with?

I've been with the P3 for over a year now and know a fair bit about setting up the P3 rig but this flight sim is very new to me and I feel like I'm starting from scratch (newbie).

I really need to understand the additional settings for motion (the setting behind the normal axis adjustment screen), can't remember the names now. Again, I've never really needed to understand before. Also need to understand if I will or can utilise the Traction Loss axis, will that simulate yaw? How are all the axes configured for a P3 rig?

And on to plugins, I see there is a plugin for DCS and War Thunder, X Plane and Microsoft Flight Sim (two completely different types of sim, I know, but I just don't know yet what I'm going to enjoy doing the most), but which plugins work well with which sims? I'm just looking for advice on which flight sims work best with a P3 rig. I don't think I really enjoy the idea of simulating flying from one place to another (but I don't know because I have never done it) and think that I'm going to be more interested more combat type stuff (hence DCS and War Thunder). I just want advice on how to get the best out of the P3 rig with whatever form of flight sim.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.
  2. Deleted member 30486

Deleted member 30486

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,
    After a long research I now own a DOF Reality P3.
    Of course I still have to learn a lot about the settings for all the different games, but I’m a very happy guy.
    I would like to thank everyone for their help in my research and Igor for his assistance.

For those who are interested; you can read my journey below.
    Be aware; it's a lot of text. haha

First I had to decide what kind of motion sim I would like (seat or full motion with 2 or 3 motors). Of course my budget limited my choices.
    With a budget of € 3.000 I had narrowed my options to: Prosimu T1000, NLR motion platform v3 and the DOF Reality P3.
    Since I had (yes; had! I sold it.) a Rseat RS1 the NLRv3 would fit perfectly. There also is a retailer in my country (Holland).
    So the NLRv3 seemed the right and save choice. But my interest in a full motion rig started to grow, especially because of the lower price for more motion.
    With questions on different forums, watching reviews on youtube and contacting the retailers, I learned enough about these 3 motion sets.
    Especially the multiple owners of the different models helped me a lot (thanks guys!). In the end it all came down to personal interest and budget.

Why I didn't choose the NLRv3 and the Prosimu:
    - The NLRv3 platform only moves the seat and does not support traction loss. The price is slightly above budget (because of an adapter that’s needed for the RS1).
    - The Prosimu T1000 is fully motioned with 3 motors, but makes too much noise. Price just within budget though.

So why did I choose the DOF Reality P3:
    - Full body motion with traction loss, reviews, quick response on all questions (by the retailer) and price: € 2.350,00 (without import duties and VAT).

My additional questions (not listed in the FAQ) to the retailer and his (Igor) answers:
    1. I've read about some issues on forums with the product, are these solved with the current version?
    rollers for traction loss to weak, Backbone frame to weak, heat problem because of misplaced fan, balance issue needed to re-drill holes, BTS issue.
    v Yes all gone

2. What are the latest changes (improvements) since last year?
    v Rollers for traction loss, some frame changes and way more easy to setup software

3. Are you planning to release another updated version? P4 maybe.
    v Yes 6DOF H6 home for $3499 and P6 for $4999. Will start shipping in 6 weeks. Taking 100% refundable preorders now.

4. Can I easily mount my Buttkicker THMP-1 Pearl to the rig?
    v Sure

5. Will the motion fully work with the game F1 2017 en the upcoming game F1 2018?
    v Yes

6. How long will the ordering/delivering process take?
    v For P3 we ship in one week. And TNT shipping is few days

7. Ever had a customer from Holland? And did he had to pay import taxes?
    v Many. We ship from Ukraine with TNT. Our prices don't include VAT/customs duty.
    in 95% of cases there are no VAT charged at the customs, but we can't guarantee it.
    Usually it is standard import tax % for your country.
    We use HS code 9504 50 00 00 for the declaration. you can check your import taxes based on it.

8. Will my Fanatec gear fits without modification? Base v2.5, pedals v3, shifter and handbrake.
    v Yes

9. I already own a Rseat RS1. This will be useless right?
    v Yes seat itself only, you need bottom mount or sliders

10. Can I mount my speakers to the P3?
    v Yes, but why? They will be better off the platform. Your ears will not see the difference

11. What's the space the motion rig needs with maximum movement?
    v 1m x 70cm

12. Is there a tips & tricks document for balancing the seat? I have read that many find it difficult to set properly.
    v Sure it is in https://dofreality.com/faq/ Please read it all

13. Do you provide default settings for all racing games (simtools)?
    v Yes, most of popular games.

14. Is it possible to mount my Fanatec shifter and handbrake like I did on the picture.
    So that my leg/knee won't touch the handbrake while on the throttle.
    v I think yes, that was the goal of F bracket we provide https://dofreality.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DSC_6317.jpg pls check http://dofreality.com/InstructionsP3.pdf.
    Pictures and videos from https://dofreality.com/media/

15. Are all holes pre-drilled for my Fanatec gear:
    * ClubSport Wheel Base V2 Servo EU
    * ClubSport Pedals V3 EU
    * ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5
    v Sure yes

16. Is the F-vork somehow adjustable to the side? To create more space besides the leg, if needed?
    v Yes, F is faced outwards and adjustable.

17. Is the P3 upgradable to P6?
    v No*
    * as of now the P3 is upgradable to P6.

18. For equipment I feel better at getting the P-series instead of the H-series. Even if I only play at home (sometimes for 6 hours straight or so, with a friend). Am I being to cautious?
    v Good choice, we have many customers like you.

Once decided I placed the order at their website. Because of insurance I wanted to pay with my Creditcard.
    But the condition for paying with Creditcard to a PayPal account, is that it's linked to a PayPal account.
    I wasn't happy about opening an account, but since I was determent to pay with my CC I didn't have a choice.
    I linked my creditcard and found the invoice in my account. I got a false issue linking my CC; it was already linked to another account. Very strange!
    Note: Before the issue was resolved (and payment was done), Igor already started preparations for shipment (on Saturday).
    The invoice is in Dollars and during the payment section I found out that PayPal charges 4% to convert currencies (ridiculously high!).
    After some investigation I learned that you can turn this option off somewhere during the payment section of PayPal.
    You can choose to let your CC-company convert the currency: since this cost me 2% it saved me some money easily.
    After the payment was done (on Monday) Igor started the custom request and two days later the sending was on it's way.

During the shipment TNT contacted me by phone to ask about the shipment.
    From that moment on I thought I was getting an extra invoice for import duties (2-4% not clear to which custom category the rig belongs) and VAT (21%).
    An expected invoice of about € 500,00. On the website of DOF it's clearly mentioned, so it was no surprise.
    The next Wednesday I received the two packages; very quickly! AND there was no invoice from customs! (Fanatec here I come, haha)
    Both boxes were pretty heavy so be sure to bring some muscles; the postman wasn't too happy about it. lol
    After opening the boxes it was clear that Igor made it very sure that nothing gets damaged during shipment.
    Every open space was filled with styrofoam and crafted that it fits perfectly around the motors and all; Amazing!

With the provided instructions and Youtube the build went smoothly. The instructions can use an update though.
    Some important parts of the build aren't really clear, but that's when Youtube came in handy.
    I really took my time to build it properly, so it took me some days to complete. The rig itself was build pretty quickly, couple of hours.
    Note: You definitely need at least one friend (better two) to balance the seat on the rig.

But after completing the rig a couple of issues with mounting my gear came to light:
    1. The plate for the wheelbase wasn't leveled; it slightly bends forward. 20180719_203955.jpg
    Therefore the wheel wasn't straight when connected. The lower part of the wheel was further away than the top; impossible to drive.
    I had to use the Fanatec adapter 20180802_204111.jpg for the wheelbase to fix this issue; tilts the wheel backwards (also used this adapter on my Rseat RS1).
    But of course the holes for the adapter weren't pre drilled; I didn't ask them to... I drilled the holes myself.
    The challenge was to drill the holes between the arms that holds the plate. 20180802_204050.jpg
    This had the disadvantage that there is just one option to connect the flat arms of the rig (underneath the seat, which determines the distance of the wheelbase to the chair).
    Luckily this is the perfect option, so in the end no issue here. It just took me a while to figure it out.​

2. The holes of the seat slider didn't fit to the rig.
    But the holes of the seat slider didn't fit to the seat either. Therefore I contacted the supplier of the seat slider.
    He told me that with a bucket seat it's not usual to use a seat slider (because of safety; if you crash the sliders aren't save enough for FIA-standards) Luckily the crash is only virtual :p
    So I had to drill the lower part of the slider to the rig and the upper part of the rig to the seat.​

3. The F-fork to mount the shifter was too close to the seat.
    Apparently my seat () is to wide for the rig, since the shifter blocks the seat from sliding forward.
    I went to the hardware store and bought a 3mm thick iron plate of 16cm by 14,5cm.
    Drilled the holes to mount the plate on the F-fork and drilled 4 holes to mount the shifter onto the plate. 20180802_203919.jpg

4. There is no standard solution for a handbrake.
    The Fanatec shifter won't fit besides my seat without modification, let alone with the Fanatec handbrake mounted to it.
    I could have bought a wider iron plate so that I could mount the handbrake to the shifter, but than (in my opinion) the shifter would be to far away.
    It's also possible to mount the handbrake on the other side of the shifter (at the side of the 7th gear), but then my hand get squeezed between the shifter knob and the handbrake; so no option for me.
    I decided to drill a couple of holes in the rig: One in the F-fork and two in the arm that holds the wheel plate. With these 3 holes I could mount the handbrake to the rig perfectly and very sturdy! (see previous photo)​

After the above mentioned modification everything mounted like I want.
    Seat with slider at the right distance to the wheel (with 4-points safety belt 20180802_204014.jpg ), wheelbase at the right height, plate for pedals is adjustable, shifter, handbrake and the butt kicker THMP-1 (which fits perfectly beneath the seat; see previous photo).

Once everything was mounted I needed to install the software. This is truly a straight forward process.
    Everything is provided. Instructions, a total package that installs everything, pro license key of Simtools AND even the setups for all games! Just a couple of minutes and I was ready to test the motion :)
    Well I was... but the motion didn't react at all.
    I had no clue what was wrong and I contacted Igor. After installing an analyses tool and running it, he told me I had no power. I needed to open up the hardware box to check all connections.
    I couldn't find a loose connection right away, but when I wiggled some wires the motion responded briefly.
    ...long story...
    Eventually I noticed that the two circuit boards that are connected to each other were a bit loose. I reconnected the boards and the issue was resolved; I was very relieved!
    Despite the perfectly packed sending it still "broke" during shipment. I don't want to know how those companies handles your packages... (Bastards!)
    During the process of finding the issue, the power button broke (I have to unplug the power plug to turn the motion off). I will receive a new one (is on its way).
    Within the test the motion didn’t react smooth enough (motor shock). Another email from Igor to change a setup fixed this issue.
    The support from Igor is fantastic! He responses quickly, really wants to help and he always seem to know the right answer. He sure knows what he is talking about.

So I can say I had a false start. But I learned a lot about the rig, motors, hardware box and setups. Also learned that Igor is really helpful and sends you new parts if needed.
    Finally I could start the game Dirt Rally and the fun began. The feeling is amazing! The motors are very silent, responses smoothly and reacts fast. The rig is very, very sturdy.
    There is no way to fully describe how this feels; it is truly awesome! I get a smile all over my face every time I play. No regrets to my decision for the P3! 20180802_203834.jpg
    note: the wooden blocks underneath the rig (front) is temporary because I need to place another bolt that connects the upper and lower rig.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018
  3. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Wijnants_d,

Welcome to this forum thread and do enjoy your new expensive toy.

Those out of aligned holes do seem to be quite normal. Not that its a major problem but perhaps DofReality need to start developing drill jigs so everything lines up true and square, but then we all here went for this rig partially because it was cheaper than other motion rigs so I guess as always, you get what you pay for huh? Its not that bad and once you know things are not going to be square, you ca easily adjust for that. Luckily the metal isn't that thick and its easy enough to re-drill when needed.

Andy
  4. Deleted member 30486

Deleted member 30486

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I will definitely enjoy it :)

Honestly I think you get a lot with the P3 for what you have to pay. Of course I still have to experience the durability.
    With the rig itself it really came down to two minor issues:
    The wheelplate isn't flat, for which I needed to use the Fanatec wheelbase adapter (which wasn't pre-drilled)
    and the shifter F-fork that was too close to the seat so I had to come up with a solution for the shifter and handbrake.
    So with some easy adjustments I made it perfectly to my liking.
    Not a problem, just something I would like to point out to new buyers.
  5. Soma888

Soma888 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Did you modify the wheels at the rear or is that how they come now? I have 3 small nylon wheels on the rear traction loss bar, whereas your has the large blue rollers either side which looks like it will last longer.
  6. Soma888

Soma888 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. Deleted member 30486

Deleted member 30486

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is how I received it.
    I asked Igor about former issues; this is one of them that is resolved.
  8. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    I am reading many of you saying that the 3p is not upgradable to the p6.

I was told differently.

Infact I have pre-ordered the p3 and the upgrade to the p6.

Maybe something changed since my older and pre-order?
  9. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    If something has changed , why I was not notified? My order and pre-order make no sense anymore based on what I am reading here.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. Deleted member 30486

Deleted member 30486

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got a message from Igor; I have changed my post:

17. Is the P3 upgradable to P6?
    v No*
  11. Mpmo

Mpmo Member

Balance:
    1,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
    what? you wrote "No" but then you wrote it IS upgradable..

so is it upgradable or not..?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    I have spoken with igor/dofreality and it is confirmed that the 3dof is upgradable to 6dof , which is what I am going to get also: a 3dof (P3) with the upgrading kit to 6dof (P6).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Deleted member 30486

Deleted member 30486

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like I said: The situation have changed.
    So don't worry it is upgradable now :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. RCFlyer

RCFlyer Member

Balance:
    137Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Could you share the price of the upgrade from H3 to H6?

Danny
  15. Mpmo

Mpmo Member

Balance:
    1,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
  16. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Responded mate.

Andy
  17. Andy Booth

Andy Booth Active Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
  18. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi Wijnants, As a fellow dutchman; bedankt voor je duidelijke review.

I am going to do the same, and also was on the fence between the 3 rigs.

Cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  19. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    I ordered the p3 and the upgrade to p6, not the h3/h6
  20. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    For who has got the p3 or the h3 , is doable to mount and unmount the wheel and pedals everytime we want to use or not use the dofreality ?

How long would take to mount and unmount the pedals and wheels?