1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

180 Degree Hall effect sensors

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by wannabeaflyer2, Mar 19, 2016.

1. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Guys make sense to ask here ( admin no coins required :) for my Diy linear actuator project I would like to use if Possible My 180° Hall sensors instead of my 10K multi turn pots...

to do this I would need to translate 350-400mm of linear movement to 180°Rotory movement , ,on the face of it simple ( Hmmmmmm ) big arse gears come to mind ..

I wanted to base this feedback system on off the shelf items, which would make things easier for DIY community to recreate , so inititally I was going to use GT2 Belt and Gears ( As per 3D printers ) .. on the basis that for 400mm travel (equates to 200 Toothed belt segments ) so would need a 400 Toothed Gear to get the required 2:1 Ratio I believe I need to achieve 180 degree rotation ----- I may well be overthinking this but do you guys have any thoughts on how this can be done or alternate ways of achieveing the above 400 linear to 180 degree rotary translation ...

Im working on the premise that hall sensors are a lot less prone to noise related signals than say Pots

this is my current setup option

Admin if this post does not belong here, can you shift it to my DIY Linear Actuator Posting s or releveant section Please :)
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. MarcoMade

MarcoMade Active Member

Tecnico pc hardware/software MadeFix
    Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Puoi usare una barra filettata e fare scorrere un dado che imprime la rotazione di un pot 180*

You can use a threaded bar and slide a nut that rotates a pot 180 *
  3. Edaurdo

Edaurdo Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @wannabeaflyer2, have you found an answer to your question? I am interested in knowing it and know how you have solved it.

Thank you very much!
  4. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Edaurdo in the end I stuck with 10 Turn Potentiometers , and the Belt drive , just modified the Pot mount to reduce the belt tension load on the pot bearing .. I have not fired up my platform for a loooooongg long time so cant really say if the lifespan has improved , im now looking at Optical encoders but have had some issues with the PCB so its back for repair . Once its returned i'll be updating my Post to show whatever lessons I have learnt and any new design mods I have made .. Cheers
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Edaurdo

Edaurdo Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I hope that soon you return to the ring ..
    Could you tell me what kind of motors you are using? Mainly I am interested in knowing what is its power and RPM