1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Low cost 2DOF/3DOF/6DOF motion simulator - DOF REALITY

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Radioproffi, May 23, 2016.

1. philsummers

philsummers New Member

Balance:
    336Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Andy the bolts are tight and the motor arms are uninvolved when sitting still.
    So this morning I pulled the u-joint out and found that there was much play between the bearing caps and the frame parts. I would call it a very sloppy fit and lots of grease as well. Cleaned the grease off and found the interior of the cap holders to be poorly/awful machined or drilled out or however it was made. I shimmed the holes with aluminum tape or aluminum flashing in some cases. I don't know how long that will last. Put it all back together and am amazed how there is NO play at all.
    I imagine my lap times will be better as I won't be fighting the fishtailing.
    I will echo Ciggstovapor comments on deciding which one to get. I use the Rift 100% and I find myself reaching for the seatbelt every time I put the Rift on!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mpmo

Mpmo Member

Balance:
    1,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
    I have aurasound bass shakers which look almost exactly like your daytons. Do you feel them where they are placed? do they act as the wheels..? and can you please take a close up of how you attached the to the side like that..?

Also, three bass shakers on the pedals alone? woahhh isn't that overkill lol..?
  3. Khyber

Khyber New Member

Balance:
    165Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see dof reality update their site and now is showing the M2. Anyone got the m2 yet?
  4. ciggstovapor

ciggstovapor Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Only 2 on the pedals. A mini lfe and a Clark synthesis.

The reason it's not Overkill is they do different things. The mini LFE Only Hits the hard notes. And the Clark synthesis vibrates through all frequencies. so you got all the nuances of the road and the engine. when you hit a wall or another car or a big bump is when the butt kicker kicks in.

No I cannot feel the effects from side to side because I currently only run everything through my stereo. So it's just one big mess of vibration but it is badass. Eventually more towards winter I plan to mess around with simvibe for that realistic effect.

I used self Drilling sheet metal screws to attach it straight to the frame. The entire back of the Dayton has a rubber backing. If it did not I would have used some kind of rubber washers in between the frame and the Dayton's. I actually plan to put these somewhere else but didn't realize how big and heavy they were. sketch-1532473283151.png sketch-1532473294244.png
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Nearly a year later and hardcore use mine still works as new.
  6. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    The wheel deck has some play to it back and forth. You can strengthen it up with a few pieces of aluminum angle bar. It does the job, but to the bare minimum out of the box.
  7. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    War thunder in VR is crazy fun! you just have to change your pitch and roll settings to extra one in extra two so that way the simulator doesn't snap from one side to the other when you do a roll.

The kit only comes as a frame. It needs everything. A seat, wheel or yoke, throttle, pedals, button boxes, and a PC

And I I'm not saying you couldn't build one for cheaper but for the money I would recommend just buying it. Start doing some research on building your own and you will find it's not as easy as it sounds. I'm sure some of the Wizards can make gold out of crap but I'm an old man and my days of building things from Total scratch are probably over.
  8. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    It is virtually silent and responds immediately!
  9. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    There are bolt options to change the center of gravity. Keeping this baby balanced is the key!

When it is off it is as solid as any non motion rig. I play wreckfest, spintires, and forza alot without motion.
  10. Mpmo

Mpmo Member

Balance:
    1,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 2 / -0
    ahh, thxx a lot. i see.

Also have u tried game vibe? im trying it but i'm gettin an error when testing and i can't get it to work. Is there a trial version of simvibe u could try?
  11. Ayousry

Ayousry New Member

Balance:
    182Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can i please have a feedback about motion for flight sims (DCS and XPLANE11) in VR

I can see from utube videos the movement is bit harsh and sudden (jumping)
    Is it true or its only an illusion ?

How smooth it is in turns and hiw is the flight feeling in general?
  12. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    Doesn't the p3 has already the traction loss?
    I have ordered a p3 and pre ordered the 6dof upgrade of dof reality. I have no idea how the 6dof will look like and I am dying to find that out
  13. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    You will only suffer from buyer's remorse if you do not use it. If you do use it trust me, you will love it.
  14. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have not tried gamevibe. I'm not even sure if I've heard of it.

I don't believe it's easy to test simvibe because you need an extra sound card. And the time to figure it all out which I just don't have. Right now I'm just happy to use it! Can't wait for winter!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Yes the P3 does have traction loss. Sorry I was talking about P2 versus P3 or the H2 H3.

I also pre-ordered it. I can't wait for it to arrive! I have no idea what is going to look like. Hopefully not that much like the original because I would definitely have to redo my monitor stand. but to be honest if it had that much movement I would be happy to make a 10ft wide monitor stand.

Crazy right all that money for something you haven't even seen. Just goes to show you how much trust we all put in dof reality. if that doesn't speak to potential customers I don't know what would.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I am working on a ton of videos. Generally 3 to 5 cameras. Getting it all set up and working is almost as much time money and effort as the sim rig.

I was in the middle of shooting a video on X-Plane 11 and my yoke actually broke. It was for a review of a new product that I was testing. The owner of the company asked me to put together a little video showing what happened so I just put this together for them, but I will share it here and you can see at least in the beginning how it moves as the plane moves.

It should be noted that there are two ways to fly in X-plane. The first and most realistic is having it set up like a race car. Meaning it will dive and pitch and roll the way you turn everything. The problem with this is if you try to do a roll. Once you get to the bottom of the access the software will think you've gone to the other side and we'll very abruptly and I mean very abruptly swing you to the opposite side. Sometimes the rig moves. it definitely tests out any items I have mounted to the rig, as mounts for keyboards and button boxes have come off. This is the way I prefer to fly. I just don't do any rolls. I mean come on I'm in a Cessna or a Beechcraft or some Piper Cub generally Pilots don't do a lot of rolls in these aircraft. So I get it it's a game but why do it the whole point of X-Plane 11 is simulation. If you turn it into a game it gets boring fast.

Now I'm not saying that I don't go upside down or roll, I actually have acrobatic airplanes. I just changed the settings in the software. It's not as realistic as Option 1 but the whole rig still moves around and with the VR headset on and everything shaking from my speakers and bass shakers you really have to pay attention to notice it's not moving exactly where it should be, just the fact that it is moving makes your brain think you're flying. the nice thing about this option is you can spin and spin and spin and never have that harsh snap.

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/xplane-11-setup-guide-simtools.11087/

I am or I should say was an amateur pilot and this is about as close as I can come. VR is a must though for flying Imo. Whereas driving I prefer triple screen. On occasion VR.

Btw- yoke company was more than helpful and replaced my unit. Crazy how realistic it all is.

I have some videos of my son flying and driving but they don't help us very much because he's only 8 and he wants the motion to turn down very low. A good thing too because it nearly threw him out lol.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  17. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    Would you prefer a low floor 6 dof rig layout or a one that is higher from the ground? I saw that the majority of the 6 dof rigs have in common:
    - a huge price
    And
    - the being so high from the ground

Dofreality 6dof prototype instead is very low on the ground.

I wonder what is the difference in the physic of the motion that is between the 2 different types (low ground vs high ground).

It would be cool if the 6 dof upgrade kit of dofreality can achieve such movements :)

18. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    In a secret email between them and Me he did say something about it being a little higher than the P3. Mail I'm not sure what a little is but I would assume 6 inch or so. He had also mentioned I would probably be able to retain my wheel deck assembly, which would leave me to speculate the design is similar to the original only no universal joint and the bar that the universal joint sits on will be gone.

From the way he made it sound it was an upgrade. I'm curious to know how many of the original parts will be used. As in your video you shared that thing is wide as hell. One thing I do like about the P3 is it is easy to get in and out of. I would prefer not to have to climb over a bunch of machinery to get in it especially since my ceiling is 7 Foot. But again to get 6doF at this price I will deal with whatever. I mean realistically if you hate it you could just ask them to sell you a frame only and you could have to be p3's. They are super easy to deal with. Or perhaps 3 backup Motors...

When I bought my first rig, non motion, I said to myself I would never spend that kind of money unless I actually used it. And 3 years later I use it more than ever so I don't mind spending the money. And let's be honest the price is pretty unreal.

And lastly about the length or height of the unit. My thoughts would be ideally as high as possible because that makes the motor bars longer which means more articulation. But obviously at this price I'm not really sure what to expect. The only thing I can tell you is I definitely Trust them to provide an amazing product and amazing service.
  19. ciggstovapor

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This thing!
  20. marco balletta

marco balletta Member

Balance:
    1,445Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    I see what u are saying.

I ordered a p3 and the p3 upgrade to p6. Hence I would be able to switch back and forth from a p3 to a p6 or the opposite, from a p6 to a p3. So i guess this is what u just said, i think i will be able to do that no problem :)

More or less the info they gave u are the ones they gave me. the base of the p3 and p6 would be the same.

I just hope that it is not too low on the ground because their p6 prototype has the small bars hitting the ground when doing certain movements. So I think it would be a little higher than what is their 6 dof prototype....or at least I hope

I am so curious lol despite I am new in motion sim. I am happy u are getting one too so that maybe we can talk about it and exchange thoughts about it when we both get them.

I am waiting for a feel vr wheel and pedals. I hope they deliver the product earlier that november otherwise it might happen that i receive the 3p and 6p and i would not be able to test it because I have no wheels and pedals