1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Input wiring problems!

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by monicamary, Jun 27, 2018.

1. monicamary

monicamary Member

Balance:
    299Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone
    Lately I've been working on a formula 1 style steering wheel and have encountered a small problem.
    The wheel has 12 push buttons, two 2 way toggle switches, 6 rotary encoders, two clutch paddles and paddle shifters for the gears.
    So the question is, how to wire it all up. There are too many inputs to use a pro micro since the encoders have to take up 12 input pins leaving not enough pins to wire up everything else in matrix form.
    So, the obvious choice is to use a teensy right?
    Well, here's the problem. For the shifters and clutches I wish to use these hall efffect sensors
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hal...N-normally-open-with-a-magnet/2038724915.html
    They have a listed input voltage of 5 to 30V and so I would expect the output voltage to be between 0 and whatever you supply to it, ie minimum of 0 to 5V.
    But the teensy's analog pins only measure up to 3.3V. Everything between 3.3V and 5V is considered a maximum(some of the analog pins on the teensy are 5V tolerant but that does not mean they can measure up to 5V)
    Am I correct in my assumptions about the hall effect sensor or could I supply it with 3.3V? The only other options are to use a different dev board(please suggest some if you know any suitable ones) or to step down the voltage or use voltage dividers on the output of the sensor.

I tried to upload a pic of the wheel but I keep on getting an error so I dunno what's up.
  2. monicamary

monicamary Member

Balance:
    299Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0