1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

First attempt - 6DOF and learn to TIG weld at the same time.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Squonk, Aug 30, 2017.

1. djkoell

djkoell New Member

Balance:
    - 67Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Curious how many amps this draws on your house voltage. Do you have to spread this out over multiple breakers? Would this run off one 120v outlet?

Thanks again!
  2. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thank you. And, yes, I'm planning to post the measurements and BOM. I figure it's the least I can do, and it might help someone else get started. It may not be until the weekend, but I will get some stuff up here.

As for the power draw, I haven't quantified it yet, but I can tell you that the computer and simulator were both running on one 20 amp circuit last night with no problems.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I've had some questions about measurements, materials, etc. And, since I don't have much else to offer the community, I figured I'd at least put that stuff here, because when I first got the idea to build a rig, I pored over other build logs and photos trying to glean that kind of information. Again, I used others' ideas (and didn't execute them all that well) so if you're just looking for a foothold to get started on a build, this might be useful, but there is plenty to criticize!

CONSTRUCTION
    I used 6061-T6, 1/8" wall thickness aluminum tubing that I purchased from onlinemetals.com

Base measurements.jpg Top measurements.jpg
    Connecting rods – M10-1.25 threaded rod from Fastenal.com. Mine are 13 5/8” long (~346 mm)

Tie rod ends – SQ10RS ball rod ends that came from China via ebay.
    SQ10RS-RBL10-LHSA10-ball-joints-with-high.jpg_350x350.jpg

Lever arms – 1 ½" X ¼" steel bar from Lowe's (a home improvement store in the US). CTC distance = 80mm
    DSC_0402.JPG

Gas struts – 550 mm bonnet/boot gas struts from ebay. These help the motors lift the platform when it is loaded, and I attached them at the vertices of the upper frame and midway between each motor pair on the base.
    DSC_0399.JPG

POWER
    I have six, 12V/50A LED power supplies (ebay), all wired in parallel with each other and with a 12V lead acid battery. There is a battery disconnect switch on the negative lead from the battery to the power distribution bus (the green 3D printed part between the LED supplies and battery in the photo below). All connections between the motors, Sabertooth motor drivers, battery and power supplies are 8 gauge flexible wire.
    DSC_0401.JPG

MOTORS
    I used 12V crab pot puller motors, with 50:1 gearboxes, purchased from seller pgsaw on ebay. When they arrived, I took the gearboxes on three of them apart, and flipped the orientation of the shaft, to keep things symmetrical when the motors were paired on the base.
    motor.jpg
    21082326_10212313121695092_113839796_o.jpg

MOTOR CONTROL
    I had originally planned to use Thanos' AMC1280 USB controller, but just couldn't get it to work (though I still hope to, some day), so I went with the more commonly used Arduino/SMC3 solution. I bought 3 Arduino UNO clones from Amazon and installed this sketch.

The Arduinos receive motor position information from these sensors

Sensor.jpg

I did not use shielded wire for the sensors, but I braided (plaited) the lengths of hookup wire, and that has worked fine (though it was extra effort).
    DSC_0404.JPG

Each Arduino is connected to a Sabertooth 2X60 motor driver, and that pair controls two motors. So, for 6 motors, I have 3 interfaces of two axes each defined in Simtools.
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Interfaces.jpg

Those interfaces correspond to these motor/axis pairs on the simulator.
    upload_2018-1-17_6-44-9.png

And, finally, for the sake of completeness - since part of the rationale for this project was learning to TIG weld - the welder I bought was the AHP Alpha-TIG 200X. I like it a lot.
    DSC_0005.JPG

So, there it is. I hope this will be helpful to someone looking to get started.
    Splash.jpg

The rig is not at all elegant compared to most that I've seen here, but it works. I plan to make a new upper frame, which will let me mount the seat within it, instead of on top as I currently have it mounted. This will put the connecting rod attachments closer to shoulder height, reducing strain on the motors, and making the center of rotation more natural. I am also still thinking about how to wire in a kill switch (though the SMC3 utility provides clipping and max limits for all motors).

For now, though, I'm concentrating on trying new games and learning about refining profiles. If any of the more experienced builders see anything in the above that is wrong, stupid or dangerous, please chime in. I don't want to promulgate bad information. :)

And, once again, many thanks to all who helped me get this far!
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Reinforced my connecting rods with some 1/2" square steel tubing today. The M10 threaded rod wasn't bending, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in potential riders, and my parents are going to give it a try tonight. :)
    DSC_0428.JPG

Anyone else who uses pgsaw motors with the hollow shafts having trouble keeping things from slipping? I tried using thread locker and grub screws on the nuts that "pinch" the hollow shaft to keep the bolt that serves as my motor shaft from spinning free, but that kept slipping. So, I drilled through the holes in the motors' hollow shafts and put cotter pins through the bolts, but one slipped today and sheared off the pin. I didn't want to resort to welding the motor's hollow shaft to the bolt, but I may wind up doing that unless someone has a better solution?

Also printed some mounts for the little Dayton Audio pucks I'm going to mount to the platform since I couldn't justify the cost of Butt Kickers. We'll see how they work out.
    DSC_0427.JPG

And, finally, the very talented son of a friend of mine dropped by to help me create a plugin for Lunar Flight. We're just about finished testing, and he's going to post it (only fair, since he did all the hard work), so keep an eye out if you have that game. It's fun!

• Like Like x 1
  5. unnamed_

unnamed_ New Member

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, have you found a way to prevent the shafts from spinning? I too am using a cotter pin with the hollow shaft but I noticed it's significantly bent after a short amount of testing.
  6. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yeah, I don't think the cotter pin was a great idea. Mine bent as well, and two sheared off completely. Plus, drilling the holes for them weakened the bolts, as I found when I went to tighten one and snapped it in half. Right now, because I'm lazy, I'm waiting for each bolt to fail before replacing it (so far, none of the others has). When I do replace the bolts, I'm thinking about welding the nut and bolt to the long side of the hollow shaft (the "inside" on my set up) in some way that I can easily grind off the welds if needed to get the bolt out again. Beyond that, I don't have any other ideas. But if you come up with a better solution, please share it!
  7. unnamed_

unnamed_ New Member

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Same here. When I drilled the bolts the remaining part seemed too thin to support the loads. It didn't break yet, but a matter of time. A small improvement could be to use fine threaded bolts if you are not already doing that, as the threads, hence the spacing, are smaller.

I'm now thinking of getting a 1/2'' diameter keyed x 5 or 6 inch length shaft with a slotted key so that the middle section of the key fit into the motor's hollow shaft, and then welding them to the hollow shaft.

The slotted key I'm thinking of is full height on both ends and lower height in the middle. Not sure if I got the name correct term, and I can't post images or links as I don't have enough posts yet.

In hindsight, having spent so much time on the bolt based setup I wish these motors came with a nicer attachment option.
  8. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    When you get that set up, would you mind sharing some photos?
  9. wangdaokun

wangdaokun New Member

2 AVENUE FRANKLIN D ROOSEVELT 21000 DIJON
    Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I see motor is made in China, looking forward to your new progress.
  10. frankrizzo2

frankrizzo2 Member

Balance:
    603Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Use exterior star washers on both sides of the shaft and I think those shafts fit a 20mm bolt. Just get a fine thread in a high strength bolt and lock nut and crank it good and tight. Mine never slipped no matter how much it was abused.
  11. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks! I'll give that a try.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Edwardo

Edwardo New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  13. Edwardo

Edwardo New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Why didn't you go for 24v motors? Then you could have used less beefy h-bridges and wires.
    Cheers
    Ed
  14. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Mainly due to expense. I also had no experience, whatsoever, before taking on this project, so I decided to go with what worked in the builds that I was emulating, and try to keep the expenditure as low as I could in case of failure :) Like others have, I might upgrade to DIY linear actuators at some point.
  15. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
  16. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @Zed, I haven't had any slipping problems in a while, but your clamp looks like a great solution. I wonder if there's an online source where I could get those made from your drawings at a reasonable price. I have shortened my CTC distance to 55 mm, and that seems to have helped - as has entering really (I mean like, "this can't be right") low values for Kp and PWMmax in SMC-3. I was getting really juddery movement until I did that.
  17. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    There definitely are places to get them made in the US and as long as you go uniform thickness, cutting just the outline is pretty cheap and maybe a quantity discount for six. I drew mine up with flats on the sides tangent to the output shaft so I could just mark, clamp, and drill the holes for the roll pins, as well as the hole for the clamping bolt.

I forget the company name but there are a number of online machine shops that do these kinds of jobs pretty cheap. The one I was going to use had free design software that you just draw the outline, specify the material and quantity, and they will generate a quote automatically. I don’t remember what they quoted me but I think it was around $40 for a pair.

Just search for online machine shop and I’m sure you’ll find them. I just went with one of the top hits to get an idea where I was landing price-wise. Turns out a friend of mine volunteered to cut them for me and went a bit nuts.

Glad the slipping is near fixed or fixed!