1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Smoothing problem

Discussion in 'SimTools Pro & Entertainment Version' started by Martyn, Oct 26, 2017.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Game manager main level 80% is not bad at all.
    And a quick way to add smoothing to All of the dof outputs at the same time.
    You may find some games need this, or make the ride better.
    yobuddy
  2. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    I use a different way to do profiles but yours is good as well. Did you try this with another PC?
  3. Martyn

Martyn Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    49Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN6
    No did not tried with different PC. But this what mentioned above, fine tuned in tuning center works perfect in assetto corsa:)
    Also works in Dirt Rally where i can have main profile at like 85%:) but there i guess it will need some adjustment´s (less surge / sway, more heave i think:)
    So finally, i do not worry about smoothing now, all 0, only adjusting main profile and rig works great again, thanks for help guys!
    But still the second (all new) ftdi 4 port adapter does not work at all.. Very strange:D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Michal Burisin

Michal Burisin New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I'm new to SimTools, but it seems I have similiar problem.

@yobuddy Today I first installed SimTools, got setup with Arduino UNO + small servo working. The smoothing was working for me perfectly until first restart / logout as @Martyn described.

Reinstalling SimTools helped, but again, only to first restart / logout and now the problem is back.

Firstly, when this problem occurs and I have smoothing set above 0%, then in Output Testing when DOF Output is set the servo becomes hugely unresponsive, the higher the smoothing set, the more unresponsive it is.

However, when I set output directly to (a) Axis Output, the servo moves responsively, although without smoothing.

It seems that it's not specific to certain actuators as @Martyn was thinking, but it's more general problem. It's weird, that when smoothing is set the DOF Output becomes really messed up, but (a) Axis Output works only without smoothing. It seems, there might be some problem with mixing the indiviudal DOFs between each other or transforming these Axis DOFs into final DOF Output in Axis Assignments when smoothing is active (however I have only one DOF active). I have no idea what can change in SimTools installation when PC restarts / user logs out. I have tried to reset all settings and set everything from scratch, but it doesn't help - the restart or logging out breaks something more permanently.

I hope some of this info might help you track down this issue, it's really killing me. Reinstalling SimTools after every restart is just impossible to do :( If you would need any additional info about my system version, values in registry or what not, I'll be glad to provide anything that might prove useful.

Many thanks.
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  5. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Hi @Michal Burisin,
    Smoothing here works fine, I have been playing with it for the past hour or so and I am unable to cause any errors. :confused:
    All smoothing does really, is take the last x' number if inputs, and spits out an average value.
    So I can't see reinstalling SimTools doing anything for a smoothing problem is all I'm saying.

Yes, this is direct axis output mode.
    It let's you test that you can move the axis from SimTools.
    (you don't need any dof axis settings for this mode)
    btw, when in DOF output mode, it uses the 'Default' axis assignment profile for testing.

I could peek over your settings, but I don't have the hardware here to test that part.
    You can find you SimTools folder at :
    "C:\Users\(YOUR USER FOLDER)\AppData\Local\SimTools"
    please zip it up and PM it to me.

Take care,
    yobuddy
  6. Michal Burisin

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @yobuddy

Hey,

many thanks for quick response! I'm sending you file over PM and I will share more details here for others to see.

I will describe behaviour with smoothing set to 100 %. Without it it work every time ok in both DOF output mode and (a) Axis Output.

a) After first install, the smoothing worked both in DOF output mode and also in (a) Axis Output.

b) When the issue ocurred for first time (restart), the DOF output mode was lagging behind input from slider in Output testing for like 1 - 2 seconds, and the (a) Axis Output wasn't smoothed at all, but it moved quickly.

c) I reinstalled SimTools and it worked ok, same as case a) until first restart.

d) I restarted and it didn't worked same way as in case b).

e) Now I had PC turned of for almost one day (@Martyn suggested it starts working with some cool down period before in the post), and now I turned it on, but there's new state, the smoothing works in the DOF output, however it doesn't work in (a) Axis Output, in both modes, the servo is responsive to slider in Output testing.

I can't understand this behaviour which is totally inconsistent and changes with every restart / logout. I understand it's probably impossible for you to replicate it. Maybe the settings I will send you might give you some clue.

Thanks!
  7. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,902Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    It never will work here, this is direct output mode only.

This makes no sense for software.
    But hardware, that may need the caps to be depleted before a reboot, would make some sense.

With the SCN actuators, if you trip the internal alarm, you can unplug them for a while and they will reset.
    So what you describe here makes me think its an hardware issue.
    Hmm...
  8. Michal Burisin

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I used Arduinos reset button, uploading entire different code and reuploading code for servo control etc., but it didn't help.

I use separate computer PSU to power the servo and I use USB to power the Arduino.

I will keep an eye for it when it happens again and I will try to find some pattern regarding this "cool down period". I will also try to unplug servo / arduino from power source completely etc.
    • Like Like x 1