1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Windows 7 Virtualization and X-Sim

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by bvillersjr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Great news for X-Sim users. Windows 7 will be shipping with a virtualized XP mode available. This is not a virtualization based on emulation such as Virtual PC 2007. This virtualization is truly Hypervisor based and I believe that it is using the core of the Hyper-V product. I have compared Hyper-V against VMWare, Zen and the other smaller virtualization products, and I am pleased to say that it is the hands down performance leader.

Since X-Sim is not supported on operating systems greater than Windows XP, this virtualized XP mode in Windows 7 may be exactly what we need. I will be doing some beta testing of this virtualization with X-Sim this week.

:cheers:
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    That thing is called XPM (XP mode). Is it already out there?

I heard, it is only available for windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise later. What´s about XP applications after the year 2014, when Microsoft does not support Windows XP any longer?

I still use Windows XP (and windows 7 for testing), so what are the main problems with x-sim and vista, except that you need admin rights for using it, and some problems to install unsignatured drivers?

It´s a pity, that the signature and license model of MS makes it hard to develop free applications running well under the new OS like Vista and windows7 without any virtualization or emulation.
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Yes, Microsoft's bare-metal Hypervisor has been available for some time in Windows Server 2008. I believe that it is a sub-set of this same functionality that we will see in Windows 7. Also, if you are an MSDN member, you may be able to beta this.

This is a good question for SirNoName. I created the SimXperience COmmander software to handle the installation of X-Sim on Vista. I was later told by SirNoName that X-Sim is NOT supported on Windows Vista. I intrepret that to mean that he will not be responding to Vista related questions and that we shouldn't be using it.
  4. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    As i seem to recall sirnoname uses both OS, Vista and XP, so i can´t image that he will not give any support for x-sim and vista related questions. You know, we are not native english speaking guys, so maybe he ment:

X-Sim is NOT supported by Windows Vista.
    But that can also be not correct as some people use x-sim with Vista. Could it be an old information?

Nevertheless, please keep us updated about your results in virtualizing x-sim on windows 7. :)
  5. pointer4

pointer4 New Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I use X-Sim 2.0.7.1 and 1.6.9 under vista, and i never faced with a (software) problem. I prefer 2.** version of X-Sim.
    I tryed Windows 7, and under X-sim2 as well, i found a problem.
    I don't know that the mistake of the operating system, but between 5-30 seconds the motion simulation ceases, as if somebody would pushed the stop button. I can continue again if I switch task and push start button again, onto this short time.

Sure this a beta operating system!!

I don't use any compatibility mode, maybe i try with it a next time.

Regards
  6. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello

I use X-Sim 2.0.7.1 with windows vista on 2 pc.Yesterday I installed Windows 7 RC in the 2 pc,installed X-Sim and functions very GOOD :clap:
    The it installed was done of normal way and just like with Windows view, I I utilize X-Sim in administrative way.
    I am going to continue testing X-Sim, and I reported if errors arise.

Great work,guys. :thbup:

PD. Windows 7 very nice,test it. :hi:
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Did you achieve these results with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition RC? 32 or 64 bit? I am testing with the 64-bit version. After I have achieved 8 consecutive hours of racing time with 3 different timing settings, I will report my results. I haqve learned from past experience with X-Sim on Vista, that the problems do not surface until you have done quite a bit of driving, and they mnost often occur when using more agressive timing/update settings.