1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Building a 6DOF platform Model Ref Software testing

Discussion in 'CAD / CAE - Outdated' started by wannabeaflyer, Nov 3, 2008.

1. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ;D Hi Guys just a general shout out for info on building a small RC servo driven 6DOF platform like Tronic and Plannmix .. as i have siad before i tend to collect all the bits i need and then jump in at the deep end with these projects ...lot of projects half done or started, but thats what i do and that's the buzz i get ( Most people call that short attention span :hi: but hey the way i am ) been looking around the net but cant seem to find any physical info regarding building the above project lots of pics just no dimensions . am aiming to build a model very much based on 6 Medium sized Radio Control servos and maybe make use of either My Still Not Working Yet AMC Controller :blush: :( (Builder Problem the desgn is great) or using Simmconnect & Visual Basic with the Pololu servo controlller Interface i already have, am very impressed with the work those guys have done and since my primary interest is Flight simming it would be a good learning aid.. thing is i created a Cad Model in inventor 10 and need some mechanical dimensions regarding the basic construction.. So far i gather its based on 2 overlapping triangles but i dont seem to be able to find any info regarding the spacing of the servos or the Distance the servo arm should move , should the top triangle be the same size as the base triangle ? i know they are 180 Degrees in relation to each other but thats it? the model i made lunch time highlighted some issues sand leads me to think i got it wrong :lol: any info tips or pointers to the info would help and i'll post my efforts here anyways.. :cheers:
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Damm I missed that :blush: Could have saved me a load of time ,Thanks Thanos ...Will see if i can get muy model done in my lunch break and post something latewr tonight cheers. :highfive:
  4. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    just another Cad Update Ref My New 6 DOF SERVO Model Simulator :yippiee: Seems to work on the cad system now just have to build it :lol: have some PDF Files with More Detail but they are still a bit big to download so will try to shrink them before i post them here 8)

Attached Files:

5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Please upload pictures as jpg, not pdf!

Regards
    Christian
  6. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :sos: Hi Christian The Pdf Files were actually my Cad drawings Converted to PDF using Autocad Inventor But As i tried to explain in amother post, The files tend to be large in size. Do You know if there is a way to make PF Files smaller for Posting, Version of Infaview Keeps coming up with ghostscript error for PDF Conversion ??
  7. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    6_dof_base_1.JPG

-open pdf with acrobat
    -mark picture and copy to clipboard
    -open MS Paint or other and paste clipboard (I prefer Irfan, as the jpg compression rate is defineable)
    -save as jpg

Regards
    Christian
  9. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian Just to say thanks for the tip...will try that the next time ... new larger rc servos ordered today, so the new design will be posted in the next few days . i hope the guys out there can use it somehow . the easy part is the mechanical build then comes the rest ........Thanos , Planmix....Heeeeeeelp :lol: only kidding guys :cheers:
  10. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ok did some more stuff today and refined a few elements , guys feel free to add any comments about the model , have tried simulating the movement on the CAD system and everything seems to be OK, i intend to make the Base - Brackets - and top section this weekend so may have some pictures of build progress to go with this post soon. The base at the moment is a polygon shape but will be converted to trianle similar to the top plate to be easier to make :cheers:

Attached Files:

11. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :D :hi: Guys just an update ...from CAD Model to Reality :yippiee: anyways just a quick progress update spent a few hours today and built my 6DOF Motion platform ( R.C Servo driven ) Not Finshed Yet but the Main elements are done and now comes the fun part... the M5 Post in the middle is only there as temp support while i work out the best length for the leg's :cheers: guys please feel free to add any comments which will help me to fine tune my model as all the drawings will be available on this website and will also do a parts list to show the items used and roughly how much this project will cost for anyone interested...opps Forgot to add the controll system will be based onn posibly the POLOU USB Servo Controller as one option but i think the main one will Be Thanos's AMC controller as i would like to keep it in line with the Work Thanos and John Planmix are doing,,,, ( The mechanical elements was easy the software Hmmmmmm Big headaches but willbe a good learning experiance )

Attached Files:

12. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    hi sirnoname thanks for the question , i am now doing some research regarding programming this model using visual basic and Matlab as the 2 main elements had some advice from John Planmix and will need to carefull when creating my program. as you pointed out the servo arm movement is not linear ..i have to say other people have made models of this type work using servos so i shows it can be done, this does not mean its going to be easy and at this point i will be starting from the beginning as i cant find any shareware ,freeware or anyware :lol: programs out there on the net to get this project going .. a lot of work to be done but as i always say its the journey getting there thats the fun part... i will post all my efforts on this website good bad or so so, if you guys dont mind , someone may pick up on my mistakes and have a valid input into a project i hope we will all benifit from. :cheers:
  13. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :hi: Sirnoname my matlab software is going to be a Xmas present and she wont let me have it till then :D but am doing some background work with VB and hope to get to the basic point of extracting Position data using simconnect very soon. the last time i played with VBasic was when i was doing the software for my 2DOF full size sim but have to say stopped because the platform needed Better Actuators .. im back to getting myself familiar with VB again so realisticaly i dont think i'll have much until after Xmas (Work / Family / Time) the main thing for me is that i will have all the elements to learn on ...dont give up on me i'll try to get something usefull to this forum as soon as i can :cheers: .
  14. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I want to ask you for permission to use your cad sketches to integrate them into your forum header.
    They look very nice and clean and i would apreciate it very much to use them for our community :cheers:

Is that ok for you?

Btw. It´s a pitty that your model of a 6dof platform is not moving, but Robins 6DOF progress makes me really believe that your work was not for nothing and it will move in the next month ;D

regards
    René
  15. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rene Feel free to use any of the stuff i have .. it was always my intention to let people have free access to it, if they thought it would help so no problems sir, i have only got these ideas from seeing the work that other guys share so its the leats i could do :cheers:
  16. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Thanks buddy,

perfect!!! So you can admire your cad sketches in the next hours at the website header :)

regards, René
  17. Robin

Robin New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So how is this platform going?
  18. fooons

fooons New Member

Técnico Sistemas Informáticos
    Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's an amazing job, congratulations! wannabeaflyer
  19. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Great, great work dude!

watching the airplane model pic I got a question: are you trying to use IL-2 for your tests?

If yes or if you will to try it please, check if you find the longitudinal accelleration in the IL-2 plug-in.

I searched it but nothing and it's really sad!
    Since now I can't to simulate the on the ground accelleration and decelleration of the take-off and landing.

Flight simulator X plug-in can simulate it and I am really sad to see that a really good simulator as IL-2 can't have the same.

Again, great work! I love to see 6 dof :)
  20. Billy Flores

Billy Flores New Member

Balance:
    175Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    That such a friend, I take the boldness to write you to see his you can help me. I really want to do a motion project like yours, but I do not have any plan of the platform that is the exact measurements, I understand the whole part of the servos barillas and the links but the required measures are not. you could help me with that, you will see my goal is to make it work with a flight simulator.

I see that you have a very nice design, I plan to use an arduino to integrate it to the pc

Attached Files: