1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The progression. DIY Pedal system from scratch

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by kanuk, Mar 24, 2018.

1. kanuk

kanuk If it ain't moving, it ain't simulating...

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, JRK
    The master cylinder is a girling wilwood type 0.7 bore and readily available in any speed shop or even EBAY. The caliber I’ve used is a Yamaha Rhino / TRF front calliper. You should be able to use any caliper as long as it holds a decent volume of fluid. Smaller calipers may not have enough travel in piston movement to emulate the feel we look for
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @SeatTime
    I agree. I’m an electronics engineer by profession and trust me that is one of my most endearing qualities... self awareness and self critique. And I happen to always let my friends try out my projects so I can surmise it’s effectiveness.
    In the meantime, boundary pushing, is my adventure
  3. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    and... h0 did you cut the metal parts... laser cuting?
  4. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @ferslash
    No ferslash. I used an orbital jigsaw (one that moves forward and backward as well as up and down) with an acrylic cutting blade (fine toothed) and drill press with a template.... take your time and it will be ok. I now have friends asking for sets too so I may be running a batch through a router or a laser....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. EvanMelanson

EvanMelanson New Member

Municipal Engineering Technologist
    Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @kanuk

Care to share the make/model for that jigsaw? I plan on doing a similar pedal project and have been looking for cheap alternative to cut the metal myself.
  6. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @EvanMelanson

Of course! Its a Ryobi one plus. Though I'm not quite sure if you would be able to acquire that particular model or brand in your neck of the woods. Any decent orbital jigsaw would do. I know that Milwaukee amd DeWalt do one as well...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. EvanMelanson

EvanMelanson New Member

Municipal Engineering Technologist
    Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found a decent selection for around $100 CAD. That seems reasonable to me.
  8. Haraguchi

Haraguchi Member

Gas rig operator
    Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Wow !

What is it ?! Super professional its construction!

I'm going to base this project, for who knows, one day I can do something, about 10 light years away. haha

Congratulations !!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you @Haraguchi

playing with the pedals last night whilst designing the heel plate I decided that the spring mechanism in the clutch was a little too aggressive for my liking. Mind you, not that I don't like it, just that it was a little snappy and no adjustable free play or dead zone at the beginning of the pedal press. So I decided to build the newer design shown on the Protos and yes indeed, I think this is that 'goldilocks, 'just right' type of result!
    And I completed the potentiometer for the throttle and clutch with its linkage....

20180404_231738.jpg

The roller system with flanged bearings. No run out, no drop offs and solid as a rock!

20180404_231522.jpg

A couple of pics of the second clutch mech completed...

20180404_231630.jpg

20180404_231453.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  10. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @EvanMelanson
    That is very reasonable indeed. Tools like those are pricey down under. I think even the ryobi cost me in the region 250 or so....
  11. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    mmm. i am seriouslly thinking about buying a jigsaw... would you share your pedal templates? (if not i totally understand) :D
    best regards and congrats for such a nice pedals

fer
  12. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @ferslash
    Hey bud.
    The jigsaw is very useful and if you plan on cutting up aluminium I would recommend it. Unless you happen to have a table router bench which would be even better ;)
    In terms of templates I would have to document everything very carefully in order for you to understand the myriad of steps I had to undertake, the umpteen number of 'on the fly'modifications that had to be done, and the god knows how many variations that happened on fusion 360 in order for fitment and compliance and I'm still developing them day by day. I am happy to help though if you need it so PM me and if this is a journey you wish to undertake I shall than simply be the best advisor I can be... :)

Oh, and thank you so much for your very kind words!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick this is my sim Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Kanuk, what a fantastic build; I suppose its now time to enjoy your craftsmanship and give those peddles a workout!:cheers

Regards Jerry.
  14. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @Jerry Atrick

I wish I could get down to business with them but there are a few little details left that I have to finalise. Nothing major, like running cables and deciding on a plug system so that it's easily maintained if needs be etc. But soon sir, soon.... :D
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  15. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    @kanuk
    (thanks for your response :D) so... about the tools needed... the jigsaw cuts aluminium, but... i i want to use a cheapo plain sheet of metal, would it do the job... or the jigsaw only cuts aluminium (wish i guess is softer)

best regards

fer
  16. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You can cut metal if you do it slower and use cutting oil. I have done this myself and it works. Also sometimes you can actually get blades designed for metal cutting.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @ferslash

Here's the thing. Like @Alexey said, you can use steel but make no mistakes about it, the scope just got that little bit harder. Steel is not quite as friendly or 'pliable' (I use this word loosely) as aluminium and things like rounding off corners, drilling holes, countersinking etc. are just so much easier to with aluminium due to its inherent nature. You want to get a radius edge on steel, take a file or a grinder to it. With aluminium you take to it with a sanding block, some 240 or 320 grit and a few seconds later you have a somewhat controlled gentle radius on the corner... I mean I also used a grinding wheel and belt to do my radius needs but i chamfered all the edges to the housing and the pedals using sandpaper held at a guesstimated 45 degree angle! And whilst it wouldn't measure up on a micrometer to be anywhere near perfect, the naked eye can't tell...

And a jigsaw will do much much more work cutting steel mm for mm compared to aluminium. As suggested cutting fluid is necessary , which I used whilst cutting up all the plates and drilling all the holes. Just makes it easier and prolongs the life of the cutting / boring tool.

So, I would try to acquire aluminium (it isn't expensive) and if you didnt want to play with 5mm like I did, drop to 4mm (I would not recommend 3 mm, too much flex). Whereabouts in the world are you? Is there a reason you don't wish to use aluminium?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    @kanuk thanks for your kind response... :D i live in Mexico, i do can get aluminimum, i got a quotation last year to cut some aluminium vs steel, and it costed like two times the steel price... but i might be something related to the lasercut company... i will try some aluminium (also it looks grate)...

so... my first step will be to buy a jigsaw... (this forum push my making skills little by little... i like that) :D:D:D:D
  19. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @ferslash

:D

fabulous! there should be aluminium available so shop around. Get your tools and materials ready and then we can begin!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. kanuk

Eng
    Balance:
    2,380Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I am now taking care of the minute details. I decided on a 3.5mm stereo jack and socket to make the connection so I designed and sliced up a case to hold the socket for the pedal housings and also a cover for the potentiometer so that it isn't exposed and vulnerable to prying / curious / accident inducing / clumsy / derpy hands! :D

socket1.jpg

socket2.jpg

This will enable me to just unplug and unbolt each of the pedals individually should they need repair or maintenance or knowing me, upgrades (as I cannot sit still)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1